Anyone use a transom mount TM on a 17+ foot boat?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Anyone use a transom mount TM on a 17+ foot boat?

I have a 17ft Specrum bass boat with a 70lb TM on the bow. Since I sometimes fish lakes that allow TMs only I also have a 55lb motor for the transom. This does 2 things for me. It gives me a little more speed but mostly I use it to get the boat back on the trailer. It is very hard to maneuver the boat with the 55, especially if there is a little wind.

rudedawg

Cadet

Hello guys, I am a newbie to the forum and also share the same delima as sidechoke. I have a '96 Bayliner Capri and want to mount a tm but there is no access under the bow for thru bolting the motor. I contacted Bayliner several times and the bracket pictured on a post for the bow is not offered as an after market part. Several dealers that were contacted stated the same so I fab'd a bracket mount and fitted it to the swim platform to mount a tm. The head of a several wireless motors I looked at is reversible so this may be the temporary solution. I realize that some boat control may be sacrificed but hey, having a tm on the back is better than none at all. We were on a state lake last year and the big motor wouldn't crank turned out to be a minor choke issue, but having tried to row the boat to the pier was the pits. We were lucky a fellow boater gave us a tow, I doubt if my wife could have held out rowing much longer-she was getting tired quick-ha~
Anyway I am going to give it a try.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

rudedawg, so you haven't actually tested the transom mount trolling motor yet? I'll be really curious to hear how it works out for you.

I pick my boat up in the Spring and will spend a lot of time measuring for, planning, and thinking about a bow mount trolling motor. If I really, really, can't think of a good way to install a bow mount, my guess is that it will be a tough decision between a trolling motor on the swim platform or none at all.

There are a lot of smart people on this board, and not a single person has said that putting a trolling motor on the swim platform is a good idea. My impression is that if I started a thread asking "if you had to choose between a trolling motor on the swim platform, or none at all", most people would recommend to not even bother putting a trolling motor on the boat.

What does your bow look like? Other Bayliner owners have fabricated bow mounts - even in this thread.

Here is a picture of my boat. I have spent hours looking at it, dreaming of how I might install a removeable mount in the Spring. Sad that I spent so much time thinking about this over the winter - I really won't know the possibilities until I pick it up and take some measurements in the Spring.

Attachments

• GlastronBowArea.jpg
    GlastronBowArea.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

rudedawg, A couple other comments I thought you might be interested in:

I went to a local boat show this month, and talked to a Glastron rep for awhile about my situation. He said that he would think that well nuts, or isolator bolts (used to install mounts without thru-bolting or under deck access) would be fine for running the trolling motor - he would be more nervous that deploying and retracting the alligator arm of the bow mount trolling motor would cause the nuts/bolts to pull out over time. He said that he personally would be fine with installing a transom mount style trolling motor on the bow with well nuts or isolator bolts, turning the trolling motor head around, and then not leaving the trolling motor attached when running or trailoring the boat. The question here is if you can find a transom mount style with a long enough shaft to install on the bow of your boat. I was pretty impressed with this Glastron rep; he knew a lot about trolling motor options; I didn't have to give him any background on all the things I was considering.

Another dealer I talked to said that every boat must have some way to get access under the bow deck - otherwise there would be no way to replace the bow light. He said that every boat he has worked on had a removeable cushion, or something that would give you a way to thru-bolt something to the bow. I don't know if this is true for ALL boats...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bow light wires are run before the cap goes on. the wire just stuck thru a small hole in the cap, then the light is installed from the top. you second guy doesn't know much about boat construction.

rudedawg

Cadet

sidechoke, here is a pic of the bow

Attachments

• BOW 1.JPG
    BOW 1.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 0

rudedawg

Cadet

Sidechoke, the Bayliner bow looks very similar to yours. This TM issue has been fretted over for 11 years now to use Quick Nuts and a removable mount or what. By the way, the wife still doesn't want holes drilled in the bow and a motor hanging off the front. I contacted the Minn Kota service center here in MS and discussed the issue with the owner. We established that indeed I was crazy but believe it or not, was not the only person he had sold motors to that were mounted on a swim platform. He is the authorized Minn Kota and Motorguide service center in MS and his prices were in line with Bass Pro Shop's so on his recommendation I ordered a Minn Kota PDV2 with the copilot option. Because everything would be backwards he is going to rewire the steering motor to function normally (port turns port, etc.) and set the entire unit up to push the boat so only the mount will be backwards, and get this-at no extra charge to set it all up. All I want to do is straight line troll the shorelines of a local state lakes and he said there should be no problem with operating in this manner. He also stated as others in here have that major control issues really arise from strong winds and/or currents, trying to thread in and out of stumpy areas or really close quarters but the boat will not be subjected to that when and where we will fish. The TM is due in this Tuesday and he said it will take a day or so to set it up correctly. He also stated if I decided to change anything up he would help everyway possible. I am modifying the mount for the platform and will keep you posted. (finger's are crossed for sure)

Last edited:

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I tried the trolling motor on the back of my Whaler 17, and it sucked....bad. One up front workred MUCH better.

rudedawg

Cadet

Here's buddy waking up on the Pearl--rofl! BTW-the curtains are drawn but the screens are intact-we have major skeeter issues here. Notice the large suction cups holding the slant cover-again-no holes drilled.

Attachments

• laid back on the pearl.jpg
    laid back on the pearl.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

rudedawg

Cadet

TD_Maker I agree indeed that a bow mount is better. I was in a local Bass club for over 25 years and ccan testify on behalf of a bow mount TM. But under the circumstances I just have to try this. I am not sold on the Quick Mount nut thing yet but would really like to hear from anyone else that did not have access under the hull for thru bolt and had to use Quick Nuts. If this doesn't work then I will resort to another course of action and deal with my fishing buddy. But when Buddy is happy-everyone is happy.
tight lines to all.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

rudedawg, Please post or PM me once you decide how the trolling motor on the swim platform is working out for you. I'm anxious to hear how you find it. There is a good chance I won't do anything this year, trolling motor-wise as I try to figure out if I can do a bow mount, and if so, if I can even get away with a transom mount style on the bow. Another option I'll explore is the Minn Kota for pontoons which has a 52" shaft, and 55 lbs of thrust. That might be the easiest motor to fabricate a bow bracket for (?) However, like I said, I intend to take my time and think all this through before I start drilling holes...

Others on this board have definitely used quick (well) nuts for bow mount brackets. Hopefully they will provide more details for you...

rudedawg

Cadet

Hello Sidechoke, sorry it took so long getting back to you. Well the bow mount motor is set up to push instead of pull and the mounting box on the swim platform is completed enough to try it out this weekend at a local state lake. I will post you the results along with some pics. Again, I realize that pushing a boat is not as manuverable but with the open water trolling we do it should work for what we need but I will let you know how it went.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks rudedawg! I am really anxious to hear how you find it. I haven't exhausted my bow mount options, but am running low. I really just want a step up from drift fishing - kind of like how you described your own needs.

For what it is worth, I emailed Minn Kota and here is their response:

"Yes, a transom mount would work. However, a transom mount will not push the boat as well as a bow mount would pull the boat. You will need to figure the weight of the boat fully loaded (people, outboard, equipment, etc.). You should have a minimum of 2 pounds of thrust for every 100 pounds of weight. So, if fully loaded it is 2,000 pounds you will not want to go any lower then a 40 pound thrust that would be the minimum."

rudedawg

Cadet

Hey Sidechoke, yes there are many factors to consider. I went with a 55# Power Drive V2 which according to the service tech when we figured all the variables would be enough thrust to do what I wanted. Using several formulas 2#thrust/100# of boat, 4# thrust/200# of boat etc., I needed at least a 47# motor. Again, pushing will reduce the manuverability but I will not be threading in and out of stumpy areas, just open water slow trolling shorelines. Oh man, the weather forcast is to be picture perfect here this weekend and I am "chompin' the bits" to hit the water. The water temp is rising and the white perch should be biting.
Later my friend.

Last edited:

rudedawg

Cadet

Sidechoke- oh man! despite wind gusts up to 20 mph across the lake the motor worked great pushing us around. I mainly used the momentary switch at speed control setting of 2-3 to manuver in and out of inlet coves. I did have to use the continuous setting at speed control 7 a couple of times when heading into the wind but again it was not an ideal day to be on a lake fishing.The steering was much more precise than anticipated and there is absolutely no doubt that on a calm day it will work out great for what I need. The wired remote took a few minutes to get familiar with but I soon got the hang of it. The only short coming was when I first fished from the bow I often had to look back at the motor head setting to see the direction it was pointing until I got the "feel" for the rig. To make a long story short I am really satisfied with the set up and it has opened up new opportunities for fishing with this boat. And best of all - no holes had to be drilled. I removed the transom grab bar and used the existing holes to thru-bolt a piece of 4x4 alum. angle, incased a painted plywood box in an alum. box, attached it to the alum. angle, set it on anti-fatigue matting, mounted a minn kota removable mount to the box and u-bolted supports from the box to the swim platform ladder uprights. All secured with stainless steel bolts and rock solid. Hope this helps you.
tight lines to all.

Attachments

• MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the update! That looks/sounds awesome. It sounds like we have similar fishing patterns, and boat layouts - I really appreciate the info on your experience.

How critical is your special ordered trolling motor (with the head turned around at the factory)? In other words, what would be the impact of putting an "off the shelf" wireless trolling motor on the swim platform? Would the directions just be reversed, or would there be other potential problems (like the power wires messing up the turning ability, or something else) ?

I assume the purpose of the box is so you have the space/angle to retract the motor over your stern seats?

Thanks again!

rudedawg

Cadet

Sidechoke the motor cannot be special ordered like that, it has to be converted. I highly recommend that talk to the service center in your area before buying because wiring and other components have to be reversed in order to work properly; unless you go with a hand controlled transom mount. I did not want the warranty voided by tampering with it myself although it appeared to be a simple straight forward reversing of wires and motor. The tech went out on a limb for me but I was determined to do this because we really have enjoyed this boat for the past 11 years. I could have saved a few bucks by buying from BPS but the owner stated if I purchased from him he would convert it for free and his customers came before BPS, WalMart etc. for service. Besides the owner was super nice and also liked vision based challenges from a fellow crazy-ha ha. Yes the box was just a spacer to allow stow and deploy clearance. I will be ordering the DIY bolt on copilot soon to give even more flexibilty to the system. If you decide to go with a hand controlled transom mount all you need is the mount, there is no reversing needed, but you will be steering by hand and will require an extension handle. Hope this helped.
Good luck on your project.

John_S

Rear Admiral

RudeDawg,

The mods you are talking about would be to change the steering direction. This should be as easy as swapping the polarity to the PD positioning motor. Also, turning the head 180 so the coiled cord is not starting from a half wrap. Both of which you could do after testing how well it propels the boat.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I asked a Bass Pro worker about turning trolling motor heads around. He said that any warranty is voided as soon as you broke the seal on the head. He also said that there isn't much extra wire in the shafts, and turning the head around could easily pop the wires out of their solder points.

Still - a lot of people on here seemed to have done it succesfully. I wouldn't let his comments stop me from turning the head around if my situation called for it. Just passing his comments along.

Best case seems to be Rudedawg's Minn Kota rep who built him a motor just for his needs. Kudos to that rep for doing that.

rudedawg

Cadet

Sidechoke, to avoid warranty issues was another reason I purchased the TM from an authorized servicer and the unit still carries a 3 year warranty. Retailers do not perform in store warranty service and motors have to be sent to a service center anyway. I dealt with a service center up front in hopes if a service issue did arise the down time would be minimized. For a laugh, the next time you are in BPS or Gander Mtn and a sales associate is feeding you a line on what you really need for YOUR boat ask what kind do they have- most do not even own a boat and never will.
One day I will tell you about the 12v portable air conditioner I fab'd utilizing a cooler, bilge pump, heater core, fan, jugs of ice-and pulls less than 3 amps to operate.
tight lines-