Bilge pump operation???

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting ready to drop my 95 Bayliner capri, 3.0, alpha 1, gen 2 in the water for the first time (first time for me anyway).. Today I put the plug in the boat after running the motor on ears for about half an hour,, I put the water hose in the bilge and let the water run until the water got to the base of the fwd engine mount.. Water was probably 4-5 inches deep.. I turned the bilge switch on and the pump worked great.. My question is this,,, shouldn't the bilge pump have come on by itself,, I would think even with the key off if the bilge filled with water the pump would automatically come on?? Am I wrong??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bilge pump operation???

depends on the bilge pump you have. some are manual. some are 3 wire, which are auto and manual. then you have the manual, with a separate float switch. also some boats have a 3 way switch. on/off/ auto.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know the switch on my dash is two position on/off.. I have to look closer at the bilge pump and see how many wires it has going to it. I would have thought expecially with a fish and ski considering that you can't see what's going on in the engine compartment that the pump would automatically kick on if bilge water got above a certain point.. heck you could have 50-75 gallons of water in there before ya knew there was a problem..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are two types of bilge pumps -- one does not have a float switch and the other does. If all you have is an on/off switch I'm betting you don't have an automatic type. That is not uncommon on trailer boats. If your boat is going to live in the water at a marina, you should have a bilge pump with a float switch, or you can add a separate float switch.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I'm pretty sure your correct.. I'm definitely either adding the switch or a different pump with an auto function,, I would definitely be more comfortable knowing that the pump will kick in if water were leaking in, could keep me from getting wet..... Thanks for the input...

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more question. If I were to change to an automatic pump,,, what would I need a three position switch?? Or a separate switch?? Would it be fairly easy??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you could use the same switch. the auto/manual pump has 3 wire, one power from dash switch, to manually operate it. one is ground. 3rd wire is a constant hot feed to it. so if the water rises, the built in auto switch turns it on.

so you would use the 2 wires there, and add a wire with an inline fuse directly to battery, or a constant hot source.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great,,, Thanks... Sounds like I'm going bilge pump shopping... As soon as I make sure mine doesn't have 3 wires.... If it does I may need to troubleshoot first.. Thanks Again..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While you are looking around in there, check for a separate float switch. It may be there, just not working.

D

DJ

Great,,, Thanks... Sounds like I'm going bilge pump shopping... As soon as I make sure mine doesn't have 3 wires.... If it does I may need to troubleshoot first.. Thanks Again..

Buy the biggest one you can afford. A 1000 GPM would be a minimum.