Smart tab mounting options

a70eliminator

Captain
Ok here I go again with another dilema, sorry but I'm turning to you guys again for advise. It looks like have only two mounting options and niether one are design. I posted some pictures so you can see what I'm up against.
In the first two pictures I'll be using the underneath of swim platform for anchor point and the angle doesn't look optimum although I like the tab location best.
The last picture is probably the best for function of the shock but the location of the tab isn't optimal, or is it not too critical that it be located more towards the center of the transom?

Attachments

• tabs 006.jpg
    tabs 006.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
  • tabs 005.jpg
    tabs 005.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • tabs 009.jpg
    tabs 009.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Smart tab mounting options

my opinion 2nd picture. let's ask John.

a70eliminator

Captain

In the second picture with the ram mounted underside of platform, to me seems like it's going to double back over itself when compressed, but let's ask John who is John by the way? does he visit this site often enough or can you e-mail the link to him? Thanks alot

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Picture 1 is questionable. Picture 2 I'd say is a definite No. Picture 3 I think is what John is going to recommend.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Another vote for picture #3.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

One of the limitations of the SX series is the mounting flexablity. Option one or two would be OK with the ST1290 series as the brackets are not molded in to the plate. With the SX series you will need to go with Option #3. Although you will give up a little on the side to side improvements, you will still gain in that area, just not as much as you could.

The ST1290 series would allow you to move the actuator mounting bracket to the plate furhter back on the plate. This would bring the top Transom Bracket down about 3".

In any event you will be pleased wiyth the results. Use option #3.

nlain

Commander

In the second picture with the ram mounted underside of platform, to me seems like it's going to double back over itself when compressed, but let's ask John who is John by the way? does he visit this site often enough or can you e-mail the link to him? Thanks alot

In answer to who is John, Jdeagro is John, he is also the owner of Nauticus which is the manufacturer of Smart Tabs. Link to his website: http://www.nauticusinc.com/ You can go there and email, get phone number, get reading material on Smart Tabs and what they do.

a70eliminator

Captain

Ok thanks John for the insight, crap one of the main things I was looking to improve was that annoying wander when at tooling around speed, It's funny to watch my wife steer the boat at slow speeds, she works the wheel back and forth like crazy and then says here you steer this boat for a while my arms are tired.
Oh well, I needs some more input before I go through with drilling holes in my boat, anyone else have a boat approximately 20' with tabs mounted more inboard on the transom? Not questioning you John just looking for some more input from anyone that had to go this route.

VIPcole

Seaman

Question, What is the distance (ceter to center) from bottom mounting point to the top mounting point? On the smart tab.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

start your own thread, you want the as far outboard as possible.

a70eliminator

Captain

Question, What is the distance (ceter to center) from bottom mounting point to the top mounting point? On the smart tab.

12-1/2" bottom hole to top mounting point
10-1/2" top hole to top mounting point

VIPcole

Seaman

Thanks a07!

I have a 20' footer and also will have to move in the tabs due to the overhang of the swiplatform, I will let you know how it comes out.

As for starting my own thread... Well any other time I would have, but noticed the a07 and myself have almost the same boat....so....I think you understand.
ttt for TD!!

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Oh well, I needs some more input before I go through with drilling holes in my boat, anyone else have a boat approximately 20' with tabs mounted more inboard on the transom? Not questioning you John just looking for some more input from anyone that had to go this route.

This thread was posted a few days ago on mounting trim tabs more towards the center.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234764

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Please understand that the only issue regarding the position side to side is the port to starboard improvement in stability. You will always get improvement, however the farther apart the more control. Option one above is not advisable because the actuator will bind. The ST1290 series has separate components which would accommodate option one.

nlain

Commander

Just for comparison here are some pics of my ST1290 tabs.

2005_1016Image0020.jpg

2005_1016Image0017.jpg

2005_1016Image0016.jpg

2005_1016Image0015.jpg

a70eliminator

Captain

Very nice looking install, you lucked out, the overhang on your transom has that progressive angle which gave you enough room, your ST's don't look much different than the SX's I think either ones would be a problem in my case where the transom overhang is directly horizontal 90 degrees from transom, I still ahvent installed them.