basic nav electronics

phonedrn8

Seaman Apprentice
What do i need to get started in nav water basic electronics. What kind brand models

1.marine VHF radio
2.depth guage?
3. gps w/ speed sensor?
4. fish finder?
5. music radio

I been looking online but overload:eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: basic nav electronics

i use a combo fish finder, depth guage. you can use the standard boat speedo, or invest in a gps, for inland lakes, i think is overkill. junkyard car radio. handheld or permanent mount vhs. it all really depends on where you are boating. being in Vegas, i doubt you will be off shore fishing every weekend.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yup -- a VHF radio is no good if nobody else in the area has one and there are no coast guard stations around. The weather channels work good though.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Whatever electronics you get back it up with the latest paper nautical chart.

ziggy

Admiral

guess i don't understand the question.... ya want nav electronics. a stereo and a vhf don't help ya navigate. charts are a great idea. if ya know what they mean. the more i think about it, charts would be impairitive. as to navigate is to know where ya are and go from here to there safely... a compass will help ya navigate. gps too. don't forget radar too. it's also a navigation tool. fish finder and depth gage are basicly both sonar. it can help navigate along with yer charts, as they have depth contours and that can help pin point ya. for safety, a vhf can interface with a gps. it's called dsc. digital seletive calling i believe. if the vhf radios distress button is used. a mayday goes out along with your gps corridinates.
so where ya boatin at? this will help dictate what kinds of navigation equipment ya'll need along with what kind of safety items to have on board... there is a lot more to navigation than just haveing the correct electronics.... though that's a good start
of yer list.

1gps, nav
2sonar (covers your item 2 & 4), nav and safefty
3vhf, safety
4stereo, toy

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the place to start would be a boating safety course.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If you do take One of the boating classes the US Power Sqadrons has the better navigation class. However it is not in the short class (9 weeks) only in the long class (13 weeks one night a week). For the class you had to buy a simple Navigation kit. It just had a compass rose, divider, Parrallel rule and some practice charts. Cost was about $12 back 10 years. Class was very good You had to navigate within 2 degrees and arival times of 2 minutes to get right answers.

Today I think a simple GPS and spare batteries is more practical on a small boat. Most small boat are not set up to unroll a chart and get out the gear to find and plot your position and course. Still a good idea to know how to do it.

phonedrn8

Seaman Apprentice

just looking for simple stuff for the weekend boating and fishing on the lake want to be safe and responable on the water

ziggy

Admiral

want to be safe and responable on the water
ya should get into a power squadron or us coast gaurd aux. safety class.... that's the first step towards your goal..... either or will be able to help ya decide what kinds of safety and navigation equipment to buy......

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree on the US Coast Guard AUX class or the US Power Squadrons.
Class are usually free but you have to buy the Text book about $13. If more than one family member goes can all use the same book and extra Homework handouts just a couple of dollars.

I would suggest to take the whole family. Class are fun and you will learn a lot in your first class. Some insurance company give discount on insurance when you have passed a Class. I have taken the US Coast Guard class 3 times and the US Power Squadron 2 times. I enjoied each class and learned something each time. My entire family and crew have taken the class also. You will learn from the course but also from the boater who have been on the water and take a class from time to time to Stay current.

Classed will cover all the Required Saftey gear and how to use it.

They will cover what the Buoy and aids to navigation mean.

They will cover the rules of the road and who has the right away or (stand on vessel) who must alter course (give way Vessel).

They will cover sound signal and what they mean. Also when you are required to give a sound signal. Also how to use a radio to put out a Mayday call or contact the Coast Guard.

They will also cover Trailering, Maintenance and basic trouble shooting. They will cover weather and how to read clouds

Most of all they are fun and anyone who takes one will come away a safer and better boater.