Galaxie Boat Price/Builder????

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice
Couple of quick questions about Galaxie boats:

I'm looking at a 1993 18 ft. Galaxie boat, 5.0, bimini, good interior condition, asking price is $5995. Is that a good price?

Also this is a Galaxie, with the ie, this is the boat built in Texas right? Not the one from California that went out of business?

Anybody have an opinion on these boats? Good, bad or indifferent I would like to here your opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Galaxie Boat Price/Builder????

Do you mean the Galaxie model line by Wilker? Those were built in Canada in the seventies but the marine industry being what it is, ownership and manufacturing facilities could have changed many times over since then.

My dad had a Galaxie 15 and it was a super boat. Rugged with a terrifically smooth, dry ride in chop. Lots of freeboard and great flare. It was a little unusual looking as the Wilker strategy to maximize cockpit room meant having the windshield far forward with just a stubby covered bow section. As I kid I thought it was ugly and uncool looking next to the Thundercrafts, Glastrons, and SeaRays of that era but I do remember being impressed by the ride and build --even as ten year-old!

They had the 15 footer O/B and I think an 18 and maybe 20 I/O model. Can you post a pic?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is the hull ID # we can tell from that.

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

It is Galaxie Boat Works, out of Texas. Anybody have any info or opinions on them? Can't find much on the internet in the way of personal reviews.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jacksonville, Texas, family owned since 1968, google galaxie boats.

Rdraidr

Cadet

I have a '96 Galaxie with a 5.7 "Yamaha" (GM 5.7 with Yamaha outdrive). Not as common as a bayliner, but you'll soon see the quality is pretty good. Stainless hardware, etc. We love our Galaxie - neat ideas like the cooler as a "glove box". Great ride in rough waters. Fast to plane (18mph-indicated). Company website appears old, but it's there and dealers (few) carry the boat. Purchased my '96 for $8,000.