McCuloch 4HP "remove lower shroud"?

Jerry900

Seaman Apprentice
I have a McCulloch 4HP that I am trying to disassemble without ruining anything. It is model - s/n 82090-11-4058. The repair manual says "To overhaul the power head, clamp the motor on a stand or support, remove the lower skirt (shroud): then unbolt and remove the fuel tank . . . ". My problem is the bolts are covered by a plastic strip called a molding assembly part number 80265. The molding assembly is held in place by a metal clip at each end and a strip that fits between the shroud and gas tank. I have unhooked the clips but I can't seem to pull the molding assembly from between tank and shroud without tearing it and deforming the molding. I would like the molding to look good when I put it back. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: McCuloch 4HP "remove lower shroud"?

I don't have any first hand experience with that motor but it appears the molding assembly holds the lower shroud in place no bolts.Only bolts mentioned are for tank. if molding ends are loose
and and no bolts holding the shroud perhaps you need to wiggle and remove the shroud to release the molding.
The Scott Guy may be able to help at ask the scott guy.

Jerry900

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the reply Steelespike,;)

It looks like the shroud is held by two small screws and four larger screws. The small screws are near the ends of the molding. I have pulled the molding back far enough so I can take them out. By peeking inside I can see four captive nuts under the molding. They clearly hold the shroud.

I have emailed the Scott Guy.

Jerry900

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. I got the job done.

1- The Scott Guy recommended a hair dryer to soften the plastic. That worked.

2- I didn't need to remove the plastic molding assembly.

3- Heat the plastic, lift it up, remove the screw.

4- Screws on left and right about 2 1/2" from the front.

5- Screws on left and right near the spark plug cover in rear.