What towing capacity does a 1991 Jeep Cherokee have?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
I was originally told 5000# but now I am hearing different numbers. Does anyone know where I can look it up? Edmunds.com starts in '92 where it is 5000#.

It's a 1991, 6cyl, 4.0L high output 190hp, 4wd, 5 speed.

Thanks for any help.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: What towing capacity does a 1991 Jeep Cherokee have?

I was just looking at different sites including Edmunds,Looks like 3500 to 5000 depending on what engine it has..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

5000 sounds right but I would check with a dealer. I think it also depends on the rear end ratio.... transmission cooler.....

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

No tranny cooler needed as it's a 5 spd.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Has it a tow package already on it?
Also watch the heat on them older 4.0s.
Not like the newer ones.
It will have a closed system on it.
Very bad to air lock if you have it open for any reason.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I thought a tow package was basically a tranny cooler for the auto's. What is in a tow package for a 5 speed? What is added on? As if I can make it better/safer, I will.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Not comparing to the Jeep I have no earthly idea if they have tranny coolers or not, but if I remember right my father's '90 model 4 speed Chevy 2500 has cooling lines ran to the transmission, we were just discussing between (he and I) if he should hook them back up or not. The lines run from the radiator to the tranny. So yes (unless I'm off my rocker lol) a 5 speed can have a cooling system for the tranny.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It had cooling lines to a 4 speed standard? Really? Huh. I've never heard of cooling for a standard.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

:eek::eek: Samo, I misinformed you. Open mouth and insert foot :redface:, my bad. That was the oil cooling lines I was think about for the motor. Sorry about that man.

JB

Your Jeep Dealer service dept can tell you what is included in the towing package. It is sure to be a lot more than a tranny cooler for the auto.

They can also tell you what you are rated for as equipped and what they might be able to do to raise that rating.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 02 Grand Cherokee with the I6 in it. It has a capacity of 5000 with the towing package. All the package for mine added was the hitch & wiring, tranny cooler (It is an auto) and 3.73 gears. Since my Grand is heavier but still pretty much comparable I would assume that your capacity is the same.

Edit**
Here is a post I found on a jeep forum:
Although the XJ was rated to tow 5K lbs with the tow package, that assumes ideal conditions and equipment. That is, the XJ is lightly loaded, you are using a WD hitch, and that you have trailer brakes that really work, and work well! I have towed boats with a ZJ that weighted at most 4K lbs, and you must have very good trailer brakes or you will be getting pushed through stop signs and red lights. And if someone pulls out in front of you...well it will be exciting for sure!

level it out, but they are not a substitute for a WD hitch, which uses torsion bars to re-distribute the tongue weight.
Other helpful additions are a bigger trans cooler, Bilstein shocks, oversize 235-75-15 XL tires. These Jeeps are not great tow vehicles by nature, but they can be improved and made safer by adding equipment. The WD hitch and good trailer brakes are the two main essentials.

Edit 2**
Check the Trailer Boats Magazine Site:
http://www.trailerboats.com/towrati...e=Jeep&model=Cherokee&min_tlimit=&max_tlimit=
Since the XJ rear leafs are prone to sag, heavy duty springs, or air lift assist bags can help

SpinnerBait_Nut

I wasn't going to add anymore to this, but I do have a '96 XJ with the 4.0L HO and automatic and I don't think I would want to put 5000# behind it.
This is an ex police car and it has heavy duty everything on it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A five speed tranny for towing, especially at the maximum limit for the tow vehicle is not a very good combination which is why automatics are generally specified for towing duty. The main reason is the clutch which must endure severe heat build up. Yes, a heavy duty clutch can be installed. Second, an automatic transmission has a torque converter that by itself can multiply engine torque significantly at start up. Third, how well the vehicle tows, whether it's an auto or manual tranny depends on the axle ratio. Vehicles like the small/midsize SUVs with 5 speed trannys were generally geared for economy -- not towing. But if you are towing a small boat, all of this is moot.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It's a 2250# boat and then the tandem trailer... So around 3000#... I towed my old boat which was closer to 4000# and it worked but only went 15 miles... This boat has to go a lot farther... I was figuring that if it was a 5000# max then I'd be around 60% which is not a bad ratio. I would never want to tow a 5000# anything that weighed more than the tow vehicle!

And I plan to strip the boat of anything heavy and put it in the jeep to balance the weight out better as I will be nowhere near the GVWR.

Ranger_man

Cadet

I ran a 03 Ranger with the 4.0L V-6 and a 5 speed but with 4.10 gears. Factory rated it at 3400lbs, or 5600 with an auto. A person experienced with towing with a stick can tow just as much as an auto, but they must be careful and recognise the fact that it is easy to smoke a clutch if your not careful.

Trailer brakes are a good idea if your pulling more than about 1K with an XJ. WD hitches are another very good idea.

Since the XJ is a unibody and hence has no real frame to anchor the hitch to, before and after every pull with the Jeep, you should inspect top and bottom sides of the mounting surfaces to look for deformation, and stress fractures around the mounting holes/flanges.

Hope this helps out some! If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to PM me......I do side work with a company that specializes in this sort of work

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

thanks for all the replies.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm really into jeeps. I spend alot of my time on "wranglerforum.com" I have a 99tj. Okay I think xj's have a towing capacity of 5,000lbs. The 4.0 has plenty of power it's more the brakes that are the problem. What axle ratio do you have 3.07,3.56 or 3.73? There is no tanny cooler for a manual because it's a splash lube system. You have a most likly have a ax15 tranny ,np231 tcase,dana 30 front axle and a dana 35 rear axle. Just don't have a heavy foot when towing because the d35 is easy to snap axle shafts on. But if you have a towing package then you probally have a lower gear ratio "3.73" and a rear dana 44. Take a look at your rear axle if it has a plastic fill plug it's a d35 if it's a metal fill plug it's a d44. Just a little info for you.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow... you do know your stuff... I'm not sure where the XJ came from but I have a Cherokee Sport. Do you know what comes in the stock '91 Cherokee? And I'll be no lead foot. Will probably be in 4th all the way home... I'm trying to get a weight distribution hitch for it this week before the tow, that should help out.

And I think it's a metal fill plug but will check it and let you know.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

all jeeps have two letters that represent there model. A xj is what you have.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most xj's had the dana 35 but if you have the tow package it may have a dana 44. Even if you have a dana 35 should be fine if you don't get heavy on the skinny pedel it should be fine. Most the time we break them when playing in the dirt or rocks. Thats when we upgrade them.I don't think you will be off road with your trailer.