One last compression stroke question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikDee

Banned
Re: One last compression stroke question.

I still say it does make a difference, lets take a simple points type distributor, I described how to set the points, rotor, Dist. cap, & Dist. base all in synch, while the Dist. cam is on the high point of the lobe. We are at true TDC of #1, on a Chevy engine for example, if you drop the Dist. in so the rotor is lets say just behind the high lobe, but the rotor is lined up with terminal #1 then, on the next revolution, the points will break first (high lobe), the spark will fire before the rotor gets to #1, leaving it advanced, But the rotor is directly on terminal #1! Hence if you set up your engine manually to TDC #1 with a screwdriver, or whatever, then set your distributor this way, it will show advanced timing on a timing light that can read advance. Points or electronic Dist. it's gonna react the same.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Of course you are going to have to retime it, no one said you wouldn't, and if you are far enough off from where the plug wires are shown in the book, then you will have to move the plug wires to, then retime the engine. It ain't gonna matter, the engine will then run exactly the same.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off thanks to everyone for the help. The 3.0 is ALIVE.. Fired right up and runs very smooth. I ran it on muffs for about half an hour which brings on a couple quick questions then i'll post a new thread with my electrical issues.. First off after the engine was good and warmed up i had about 35 psi oil pressure at idle,, idle was about 12-1300 rpm and engine temp was around 140. The exhaust manifold stayed luke warm.. Do those numbers look ok? I thought the idle was a little high.. My real quesion of concern is on the bottom of the transom there are two holes approx one inch in diameter one port and one stbd,,, the majority of the engine exhaust and muff water came out of these holes,,, a small portion came out the prop,,, normal?? I cycled the throttle into fwd and reverse and it seemed to enguage fine, I think i have some adjustment issues because I can put it in fwd without pulling up the handle on the throttle.. Anyway thanks to everyone,, now I can write this electrical issue post...

Bondo

Staff member

idle was about 12-1300 rpm

Ayuh,...... It should be 1/2 that.......

two holes approx one inch in diameter one port and one stbd,,, the majority of the engine exhaust and muff water came out of these holes,,, a small portion came out the prop,,, normal??

Ayuh,...... Perfectly normal....

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

So 6-700 rpm at idle? How about the oil pressure, if I came up to 15-2000 rpm oil was around 40 on the guage..

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...... That's Fine........

10lbs. per 1000rpms is acceptable.........

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

So 6-700 Idle Rpm.?? How about the oil pressure,, the guage read between 30 and 35 at the 1200 rpm idle and came up to 40ish around 1500-2000..

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

my third attempt to reply to this, must be a 25 post limit.. RPM around 700?? What about the oil pressure around 30 at idle,, around 40 at 2000rpm.??

Coors

Captain

700 sounds high; 10 lbs per 1000 rpm is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.