Big old outboard, no power tilt. How would you get it out of the water?

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Big old outboard, no power tilt. How would you get it out of the water?

With the pull bar you should be more than fine lifting it. I am actually from the Noblesville area so i put in at moorse and giest alot. I love to fish but dont know of many places around here to fish, i usually just make a trip up to MI on the weekends with my buddies. Where is raccoon lake? Is it easy to get there from indy? Thanks

It's about 40 miles west of Avon, on 36. Seems to be a pretty popular vacation spot. I've heard that Geist is terribly unfriendly, launch fees are outrageous, and that the lake is crowded as all get out. Impressions?

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Has anyone out there tried a CMC PT130 power trim. I have an 85 50HP Mariner without power trim and that is what I am looking at $620 to my door taxes in but it should really make my life a lot easier. Can find lots of good reviews on retail sites but don't trust them as far as I can throw them. Anyone know anything about these units and have any comments.

Nope. I've heard good things as well, and if this motor ends up being reused on another hull, I'm springing for it.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's about 40 miles west of Avon, on 36. Seems to be a pretty popular vacation spot. I've heard that Geist is terribly unfriendly, launch fees are outrageous, and that the lake is crowded as all get out. Impressions?

Launch fee was approximately 25 bucks but people seemed nice. Its a very upscale neighbor hood so moodiness can occur. I actually launched for the first time there with my family and everyone was very helpful. Only really problem i had at geist was the algae was very high and the water was very low. Actually not that i think about it, it was rather crowded and rough at times. I think ill stick to moorse and maybe try raccoon lake.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

There are some levers available for just such applications. I've never used one so maybe someone on here who has used one can tell you how they perform. The lever attaches over the top of the outboard.

I used one of these for years to lift 125 hp V-4 omc's- they work very well, although I don't think they really increase your leverage or make the engine feel lighter---they just change your angle of attack to make your effort more efficient through the arc the motor will travel as it tilts up.
--
Stan

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I went for many years with a set up like yours. Here's what I found worked for me. As others have pointed out, you don't have to lift anywhere near the full engine weight to tilt it. You may find it isn't all that bad once you get the hang of it.

I made a short length of closet rod doweling to fit horizontally between the engine and transom bracket, just wide enough to span the bracket and allow for hand room off to the side to position/retrieve it.

Before launching, I simply stood behind the boat, grabbed the leg, lifted the engine, placed this dowel across the transom bracket and lowered the engine down until it rested against the dowel. It's now nicely tilted and well out of harms way while launching.

Once in the water, I put one foot on the transom, grabbed the rear of the motor housing with my strong hand and the dowel with the other. Lift the engine slightly to free the dowel and let the motor swing down into position. I just stowed the dowel in the transom well.

Using a wooden dowel, it doesn't scratch and it floats. It was actually faster using this method than the power trim/tilt combos I have used since.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

$25 to launch??? :eek:

I pay a buck at the state park a mile from my house. From this point, I have access to very literally, thousands of square miles of waterways! The ramps there are paved well into the water and well maintained, so I can launch with the motor down with no worries.

Y'all need to come down to "looooooooooooooooooosiana! :D

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I like Mr Big's idea alot and might modify it in the following way:

Drill a hole in the end of the dowel then tie a short length of fishing line to it and put a loop in the other end which will reach a rear cleat. Make the line just long enough so that when the rod is in place holding the engine up there is no slack in the line to the cleat.

Now, once launched, use BOTH hands to pull the motor up a bit (less stress on your arms and back).

As you tilt, the dowel will fall sideways out of the way of the motor and just hang from the cleat where it can be retrieved at your leisure.

Let the motor down carefully, and voila -- yer ready to motor!

As for launching with engine down -- I never do it for fear of unexpected encounters with such things as craters dug by clueless full on power loaders, the possibility of simple deterioration of the concrete ramp causing it to give way suddenly at the edges, to just plain foreign objects finding their way onto the ramp.

In fact, before any launch I walk the ramp and mooring dock each and every time -- even if it's my home ramp that I know very well. Occasionally you will find pieces of junk or other surprises waiting for you.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

We have three major reservoirs within a 40 mile or so radius of downtown indianapolis. One is reserved for sailing craft and fisihing boats less than 10hp, so it's pretty much impossible to use. The other two have residential neighborhoods built all around them, and one marina company owns the public ramps at both. I just looked up rates. Peak season is $27 on weekends, but if you get in before 7 and out before 11, they'll give you$ $17 back.. I think offseason launching is ten bucks. We've got a couple state rec areas a little further out, but with an underpowered tow vehicle, I'm probably not going to risk too many trips.

Next place I live is going to be on some form of water - forget this trailering. I want to pull up in the drive at night, hop straight on the boat, tear around, and fish for a bit before i glue myself to cnbc!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I pay a buck at the state park a mile from my house. From this point, I have access to very literally, thousands of square miles of waterways! The ramps there are paved well into the water and well maintained, so I can launch with the motor down with no worries.

Yeah, they were called "driveways" before Katrina. :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

I use one of those levers all the time on a 30hp Honda and it does reduce the effort needed to pull it up. A warning though. Those 2 rubber feet on the lever weaken the hood (especially if it's a fiberglass hood) and eventually can punch a hole in it. Granted, in my application, it's used alot. As much as 200 to 300 times a season I'm guessing. The Honda hoods will last about 2 years with this amount of abuse after which we reinforce them with extra fiberglass. That is probably why there is a 40hp limit. Not that you can't pull a larger motor out of the water with it, but rather the weight of the motor puts too much strain on that one spot. Pulling a 250 pound motor up with that thing will put a tremendous amount of force on that small area. I've never used one on any other type motor than a Honda.

mercuryman48

Seaman Apprentice

boatersworld.com has the lift for about 60 bucks...my neighbor made me one thats much better in about 20 minutes with his welder