Re-Galvanizing

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is it cost effective to have an anchor that is still has a lot of life left in it regalvanized?

I have two Danforth fluke type anchors in use on my 20' boat, one on the bow and one on the stern. All of my boating is done in salt water. If my memory serves correctly (and it may not) one is a 16S and the other is an 8S.

Question #2 is if it is feasable, who would provide this service in the NY (Long Island) area?

Thank you & Happy boating,
Levittown Nick

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Re-Galvanizing

Last time I asked about galvanizing a couple of small pieces, the shops around here quoted me an outrageous price. I think they just didn't want to do it. Maybe you can do better.

You live in the center of the world--Just look up Galvanizing in the yellow pages or check out welding shops--some probably have a pick-up service and if you piggy-back on one of their big orders, the price for hot dip galvanizing may be reasonable. --But then again-- 8 pound anchor? between cleaning (sandblasting) and regalvanizing charges you might be better off to buy one on sale

Bondo

Staff member

--But then again-- 8 pound anchor? between cleaning (sandblasting) and regalvanizing charges you might be better off to buy one on sale

Ayuh,......

Or try some Rustolium Cold Galavanizing spray stuff.......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

3rd on bondo. Just do a good metal prep first so that it will stick.

Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I don't know guys. For an anchor that is going to be banged around, and stuck into rocks or sand or mud, I wonder if the cold spray-on will last at all.--even with proper prep. But if you have done it, I defer to your experience.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not cost effective at all. It would need to be sand blasted, acid dipped, dried and then dipped. Cheaper to buy new.

Back when I was in the trade we used Zep Cold Galvanizing Spray for touch up

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You mention "regalvanized"? What is wrong with what you have?

Oh and an anchor does not know if it is being dropped in NY or Florida - well mine kinda likes Florida now-a-days.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The spray galvanizing works OK. Be sure and rinse the anchor after each use. This really cuts down on the rust.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Don't they make them out of stainless for you guys that boat in the ocean?

15lb Danforth in stainless steel = $694
16lb Danforth in mild steel = $69

Not into cosmetics of my anchor enough to justify the cost. :D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

They do make fluke anchors out of aluminum for 1/3-1/2 more cost than steel. I have never bought one since the spray galvanizing works well enough.

magster65

Commander

I used that galvanizing spray on my old Plow anchor. It looked ok for a while but very long even though it was well prepped. Salt and scratches take their toll. That spray would be a good touch-up detail if you were selling your boat.
I priced out getting it re-dipped too but it was basically the same price as a new one. I eventually found a nice used Danforth at the local (boat) consignment store.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Been there done that.
Sand all crap off, spray with Zinc-Chromate Primer, & spray with Galvanize Spray.
Total cost +/- $10.00.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Been boating in salt for 38 years with galvanized anchors and never had a problem. My galvanized trailer is 12 years old and gets submerged every launch & retrieval - no problems.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the comments. My research (if it can be called that) pretty much follows the above comments.

To answer the question as to why re-galvanize, I have a couple of reasons:
1) The rear anchor is stowed up against the bulkhead and the little bit of rust it produces stains the deck.
2) It would fit more comfortably in its assigned space if the shank were about an inch shorter, and I would like to shorten it but don't want the unprotected steel.
3) Fresh galvanizing would improve the appearance.

As for the bow anchor, it has to be wiggled just right to get it in or out of the locker. The same modification would help on that anchor also.

And the bottom line is I'm cheap, but if I could have it done for 1/2 the replacement cost, I'd spring for it.

Many thanks,
Levittown Nick

farmboy

Seaman Apprentice

One other option might be thermal spray metallizing. This process applies molten zinc or aluminum to ferrous surfaces. Abrasive blast cleaning is the surface prep and a quick turn-around is an added plus. Industrial coating contractors that specialize in bridge, shipyard, dambuilding, water/wastewater or other marine environment construction or maintenance could be a source. The navy, coast guard and reclamation use the process and small parts are no big deal. Some of the industrial zinc-dust primers work well also and hold up to a good bit of abrasion if the metal is abrasive blasted as a surface prep. You won't find these at your local paint store but that nationwide store with initials SW carries zinc rich primer in their industrial line.