1986 2850 Contessa Stern Drive

perrard

Recruit
HELP!

I have a stern drive on my 1986 Contessa Command Bridge that is not going into gear.

Plain and simple, how do I figure out what stern drive goes with my 260v engine?

Everything is original stock.

Thanks for any feedback...

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 2850 Contessa Stern Drive

You say everything is original stock but don't know what drive belongs on your boat? Go look at it. Should be an OMC.
When you say it doesn't go into gear - is that any gear or just won't go into forward?
The cable adjustment on an OMC is critical. If not set to correct specs then the whole thing will cost you about two grand to repair or replace. It should be done by a qualified OMC mechanic.
Check the color of the shifter cable - it should be red. The older, black one's were recalled some time ago. If it is black then you should replace it. Not a job for the uninitiated.
Back to your question. Is the shifter hard to move or does it just flop around?
Have you checked the linkage under your throttle/shifter assembly? Hard to nail it without more info.

Mike H

Cadet

I have a 86 2850 sun if stock it is a volov 280
pull the shif cover on the back of the out drive

and look at the linkege. it maybe just a bad cable.
i dont think it the drive this drive is a tank.

Mike H

perrard

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I believe it is a Volvo 280. Here is a picture of it:

The Upper Gear (Ecentric Piston), will move, but the propeller will spin freely when I engage it in reverse or forward.

My apologies, I am a novice and am new to the outboard scene. I was able to get the parts and workshop manual for the Aquamatic 280.

I just aquired the boat from the original owner. The boat was primarily a "martini" boat in a slip in DC. It was pretty well maintained, but not taken out much.

The owner "broke" the control cable trying to get it into gear. I was able to detach the cabin control cable and was able to get the fly bridge control cable to move again.

We ran the boat for about 100 miles, when it jumped out of gear and we could not get it back in gear and eventually were towed in.

I removed the cover as seen in the boat and found that the shift mechanism as mentioned above will not lock the propeller in place when engaged (I am hoping that this is a significant discovery).

Again, thanks for everyone's input and help!

Attachments

• Bayliner 028.jpg
    Bayliner 028.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Bayliner 029.jpg
    Bayliner 029.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Bayliner 184.jpg
    Bayliner 184.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Bayliner 193.jpg
    Bayliner 193.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

perrad,

I apologize to you for giving you bad info on your drive. In any case it appears that some work is needed on that unit pretty quick. Hope all goes well with that project. :redface:

Mike H

Cadet

WOW that prop looks nasty.
ok this wher you need to go.

Http://Baylinerownerclub.org/forum/
go to the tech form.

I have twins and i have taken the
uper units off so i could tighten
the stearing fork.

the bolt that holds the fork and helem
will back out. you need to look at
this ever year.

I wood remove the E-piston and look
at the end its called a dog it what engages
the gear.it only 4 bolts.

wear do you boat at looking at that prop
your zine is gone or wrong type.

Mike.H

Lake ST.Clare MI.

Dunique

Recruit

Yup that prop needs replacin. This outdrive does not look like a Volvo 280. Maybe a 270 drive or an OMC. My Volvo 280 has a large exhaust port over prop you can look into about 8" wide. You can step on it too.