Advice

paulhobster

Recruit
Hi,
Can anyone answer a few questions for me.
My family are just about to take delievery of our first boat, 214FSC. We are totaly new to the boating world and are really excited about owning her.
But we really do not have any idea on how far she will get us on a full tank of gas?

So if anyone could just point us in the right direction as to fuel consuptions this would be great. I am well aware that fuel consumption will depend on speed/sea conditions and amount of people in the boat, but just an average figure would help.

She has a 4.3 petrol engine / 22.9 ft/ 209 litres capacity

Any feedback on any topics with regards to owning a Monterey will be greatly recieved.

Thanks.
Paul

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Advice

Hi,
Can anyone answer a few questions for me.
My family are just about to take delievery of our first boat, 214FSC. We are totaly new to the boating world and are really excited about owning her.
But we really do not have any idea on how far she will get us on a full tank of gas?

So if anyone could just point us in the right direction as to fuel consuptions this would be great. I am well aware that fuel consumption will depend on speed/sea conditions and amount of people in the boat, but just an average figure would help.

She has a 4.3 petrol engine / 22.9 ft/ 209 litres capacity

Any feedback on any topics with regards to owning a Monterey will be greatly recieved.

Thanks.
Paul
Paul welcome to iboats and the world of boating.
I have no idea about the fuel consumption but I can say, please take a boating safety course for your family's safety and all those on the water with you.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

www.boaterexam.com offers a free online exam (though if you want the certification you have to pay).

As for fuel economy, that depends on the trip you are taking, but rest assured, you'll always run out of gas about 100 yds from the ramp. :D If you want a more accurate figure than that, consulting the manufacturer's web site is usually the best place to get that info.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rule of thumb is 10% of horse power rating. 4.3L rated 190hp or 220 hp so at wide open throttle 19 gallons per hour to 22 gph. it will probably get better than this. also be aware the fuel guages, are effected by the angle the boat sits in the water.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Paul, welcome aboard! I usually use about 3 miles to the US Gallon as a decent average here. Some boats in your size range will get close to 4, but you should be conservative. If you figure there are 3.785 liters to a US Gallon, then you might get close to 1 mile per Liter. You should use about .8 miles (statute) until you get some data, so that would indicate around 140 miles total cruising range using 80% of your capacity (good rule of thumb). Is this an inboard? I/O? The best efficiency is typically around 3000 to 3500 RPM with I/Os, but I'd need to know a little more about your boat to gauge it any closer.

BTW, I have boated up the Dart once and that is Beautiful. Is your boating anything like that?

paulhobster

Recruit

We have all booked up a RYA level 2 powerboat course, to be taken on our boat once it arrives. So we wont be going in blind.

paulhobster

Recruit

Great, that really helps.
I know once we have taken her out we will have a better idea, but being new to this any advice is good advice.
Thanks once again

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome fellow canuck!

1 got a 19 with a 4.3. with a 209 liter tank youll boat all day. thats a big honkin tank man.

boating in salt will make a difference, if your going against the current.....
or in bigger water...

lake is great......
be safe...have fun

cheers
oops

manofprawnz

Seaman

so did I...

After a few short outings you will have a better idea of what your range is. Glad to hear you are taking a proper boating course and not just some quick-fix certification to get a permit (depending on where you live).

We have always boated using the 1/3 rd rule, thats 1/3 the fuel to the destination, 1/3 to get back, and 1/3 in reserve.