Fuel Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Fuel Injection

There's a custom shop that sells marine EFI conversion kits on ebay... never tried one myself, but they are at least marine certified.

Here's one that's up there now. They also say they'll work out a custom kit for almost any engine - I asked them for a rough quote for a Chrysler 318 and got it.

Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did get a little crafty with Idea of using a O2 sensor. I made a plate that bolts to where the EGR valve used to be, tapped it out and put the 02 sensor on the exhaust side of the plate. I may try to run it in closed loop this summer when know everything else is right.

This is gonna leave your egr port open all time. If the passage is blocked off completely your not gonna get exhaust flow for the sensor to read. Plus your gonna end up running the O2 heater circuit all the time.

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is gonna leave your egr port open all time. If the passage is blocked off completely your not gonna get exhaust flow for the sensor to read. Plus your gonna end up running the O2 heater circuit all the time.

I had to make a plate to block it off anyway so I figured I would try it. The little bit that I have ran the engine it doesn't seem to be working right, going by the 02 voltages. Right now I have forced it to run in open loop all the time. I may get a set of the GLM manifolds Mkos1980 is talking about.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had to make a plate to block it off anyway so I figured I would try it. The little bit that I have ran the engine it doesn't seem to be working right, going by the 02 voltages. Right now I have forced it to run in open loop all the time. I may get a set of the GLM manifolds Mkos1980 is talking about.

I forgot a couple of things also regarding the O2 operation. The programming in the ECM's for Chryslers and GM's then put the most weight on the O2 readings for the fuel control calculations. Also the GM programming pops the EGR valve open and checks the O2 readings during deceleration to check to see if it's working or not.

degree

Seaman

Erik;

I'm interested in your 'custom shop'. Can you provide a link or URL?

Degree

QC

Supreme Mariner

One thing to remember it is not about whether or not your stuff leaks necessarily. It is what happens if any fuel leaks for any reason anywhere. So let's say the customer messes up changing his flippin' fuel filter. What systems are there that prevent the engine from igniting anything? Your stuff may be fine, but the cert guarantees that the CG says it will not be an ignition source again, regardless of the source of fuel in the bilge . . . ;)

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understand what you guys are saying completly, and realize I need to take a second look at everything.

"I forgot a couple of things also regarding the O2 operation. The programming in the ECM's for Chryslers and GM's then put the most weight on the O2 readings for the fuel control calculations. Also the GM programming pops the EGR valve open and checks the O2 readings during deceleration to check to see if it's working or not."

I have the EGR disabled in the code.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"I forgot a couple of things also regarding the O2 operation. The programming in the ECM's for Chryslers and GM's then put the most weight on the O2 readings for the fuel control calculations. Also the GM programming pops the EGR valve open and checks the O2 readings during deceleration to check to see if it's working or not."

Along that same point, Mercruiser, Volvo, and GM engineers have been working for a lot of years trying to find a way to make the O2 sensors work in a marine engine (Reliably) so far, they haven't succeeded.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Along that same point, Mercruiser, Volvo, and GM engineers have been working for a lot of years trying to find a way to make the O2 sensors work in a marine engine (Reliably) so far, they haven't succeeded.

Yep, most folks don't know that an O2 sensor is a gas comparator and needs an outside source for fresh air. Maybe they'll do better with the newer Lambda (wide band) sensors.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep O2 sensors are coming, the ports have been on the risers for volvo and merc for sometime.
I read someplace that by 09 all inboard gas engines will have catilytic converters as well. I think the 325 HP pleasure craft is already equipped with them.
this outta get interesting here in the salt pond.
I do know that yamaha and volvo are working on it.
as emissions tighten expect new and more expensive parts.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

y
I read someplace that by 09 all inboard gas engines will have catilytic converters as well. I think the 325 HP pleasure craft is already equipped with them.

Any idea about how they are dealing with the heat?

tommays

Admiral

12152006155929.jpg

It is Indmar

I also just learned that Mastercraft now uses and IN-TANK FUEL PUMP on there EFI motors

Tommays

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a short video of the boat running. The lower unit is off right now, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to fire it up for second. The LED on the dash is the SES light you can see it come on after the engine starts. I have some more stuff to disable in the code. The noise you here when i turn the key on is the fuel pump priming, it is still controlled by the ECM. The ECM and fuel pump relay are mounted in a water tight gasketed electrical box.

Don, let me know if I am breaking rules by posting this. If so I will remove it. Anyone that wants to see it run can email me.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No problems posting that kind of link at all. It's the commercial (Clickable) links that are a problem. Even commercial links are acceptable, just so they aren't clickable.

One question about your system and a comment.
Be careful running without water for very long, you have direct exhaust (fire and heat) hitting on the exhaust hoses that come off the elbows.

Now, regarding your fuel pump. With the key in the run position and the engine not running, does the pump shut off?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool. Stay after it 96 . . .

For what it's worth I was a died in the wool OEM guy, kinda still am . . . 23 years with a Caterpillar dealer. But I now work for an independent skunk works type place, and there is room for innovative, quality and even competitive products. OEMs deserve a lot of credit and respect, but there are some little guys with great concepts, or better quality at lower cost than OEM genuine stuff. Good luck!

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problems posting that kind of link at all. It's the commercial (Clickable) links that are a problem. Even commercial links are acceptable, just so they aren't clickable.

One question about your system and a comment.
Be careful running without water for very long, you have direct exhaust (fire and heat) hitting on the exhaust hoses that come off the elbows.

Now, regarding your fuel pump. With the key in the run position and the engine not running, does the pump shut off?

Yes, it is still under ECM control. The ECM primes the system for a few seconds then shuts it off. The ECM also monitors the voltage to the pump and uses it to adjust pulse width of the injectors, to compensate for low voltage situation. In the event that the relay goes bad there is a pressure switch mounted to the oil pressure port that will complete the circuit to the pump when you crank the motor. When you build enough oil pressure the switch closes and energizes the pump. The fuel pump relay is mounted in the box with the ECM.

CIMG1697.jpg

CIMG1696.jpg

CIMG1702.jpg

In this picture you can see the MAP sensor and the line that connects the 2 fuel rails.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It sure sounds good!

Make sure when you're running it that you either have water running or the raw water pump disconnected/removed. Even that short a run can damage/ruin the impeller.

Cheers,

Rick

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sure sounds good!

Make sure when you're running it that you either have water running or the raw water pump disconnected/removed. Even that short a run can damage/ruin the impeller.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks, the lower unit is not on the boat right now. I am replacing the water pump, bellows, seals, etc....

erikgreen

Captain

Erik;

I'm interested in your 'custom shop'. Can you provide a link or URL?

Degree

I actually had attached one, but I think it got edited out due to the policy on commercial links. Apparently the iboats site folks are unaware that most browsers will pick up a link from text anyway, whether it's an anchor tag or not. :)

Here's the number of the auction they have up for their current kit... it's for a chevy small block marine engine, although they also do auto engines.

Erik

degree

Seaman

Erik;

Ah, yes. I know the company well. I have been in correspondence with them for some time. Their systems are not CG approved, but they do sell various (approved) compnents. This leaves the compliance up to the installer. While something like this does not intimidate me, I would prefer to purchase something approved as an assembly--particularly with me having to buy TWO of 'em.....

Status
Not open for further replies.