Recently Inherited a Mercruiser however....

kosmo04

Recruit
First off I'd like to say great site. Off to the point though. I recently, by inheritance, obtained a 1986 Glastron X-16 conroy. Great boat, interior and everything else is in great condition. However, heres the kicked. Right before it was pulled out of the water for the winter, the back end sank, completely submerging the engine. After that, due to the death of the owner, it was pulled out and not touched, and sat, in 30 degree and below weather. Is there any hope for this engine at all???? Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Matt

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recently Inherited a Mercruiser however....

Well......you left out one important part of the equation.........if it sat....for only a day or so before someone purged/flushed/removed/drained the water in the engine......you're probably ok if you do it soon.

Weeks or months?......well....the engine may not even be a good core by then.

This has nothing to do with the block probably cracking due to freezing (which probably also happened) The carb, alt & starterwill probably need replacement/rebuild. The drive U-joints are probably rusty and will need replacement...things are not looking so good.

I would say that you'll be looking for a COMPLETE engine with acc, trim pump, and other "stuff" if you want that boat running by summer.

First off I'd like to say great site. Off to the point though. I recently, by inheritance, obtained a 1986 Glastron X-16 conroy. Great boat, interior and everything else is in great condition. However, heres the kicked. Right before it was pulled out of the water for the winter, the back end sank, completely submerging the engine. After that, due to the death of the owner, it was pulled out and not touched, and sat, in 30 degree and below weather. Is there any hope for this engine at all???? Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Matt

200GT

Cadet

Doesn't sound good.
How long was the motor underwater?
Was the boat winterized before it sat?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Who knows, no one here has a crystal ball to see what type engine you have, let alone if it's any good or not.
It's going to be up to you to find out. Look it over closely, look at the exhaust manifolds and block and see if you see any cracks.
Check the oil is it over full???
If it is, block off the manifold/s and pressure test the block and see if it holds pressure.

kosmo04

Recruit

I appreciate the quick responses. The engine compartment was submerged for less than 12 hours. However, this was back in the late fall, before it came out of the water. It was a family members, and they had passed away shortly after this incident, and the boat sat the exact same way it was when it was pulled out of the water until now. This is the point where it has come into my possession. It has sat in some nights in 5 degree cold. I did a visual inspection and there seems to be no cracks of any sort on the block itself, nor any other spots that I can see seem to be damaged. However, the engine does have a slight oil residue covering it, probably from when it was submerged the water mixed with the oil and left that residue. Ill be able to pull it into a shop the next few days. Should I try and drain the pan? pull the plugs and any other suggestions? Again, I appreciate the help.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the engine was submerged in the late fall and was never pickled it is no longer a good engine. I`m not sure if you were in salt water or not but your going to have rust in there reguardless, it should be taken apart.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it were mine I would charge the battery (or temporarily replace it with one from your car), pull the plugs and see if it turns over. If all you get is a click from the starter solenoid you may as well give up. As a minimum the starter is shot. You could try to turn it over manually on the front pulley. If it won't turn over that way, by all means give up. You need a new engine. If the engine does spin over and no water shot out of the plug holes, I'd drain the oil, replace the filter, refill with oil, drain the gas and replace with fresh. change the fuel filter and see if it will fire. If it runs, monitor oil pressure and temp and see what happens. You may get lucky but I would not bet money on it.

TilliamWe

Banned

"some nights in 5 degree cold."

Since I think you are in the US, I'll assume you mean 5 degress above 0 F. In that case, even if water didn't enter the oil from the submersion, the water that was still in the exhaust manifolds and the block froze SOLID and most certainly has broken something. There is a 99.9% chance that the engine is total garbage.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like a money pit to even see if it has potential

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

paperwieght

whywhyzed

Banned

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
Matt

look for another free or cheap boat with a great powertrain and a trashed hull/interior. One that racoons have lived in will be cheap or free usually...and they don't usually tamper with the engine.