How many hours is too many

petrey10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at finding a lightly used boat and was wondering what kind of hours on the engine I should be looking for. I want it to last a while so I don't have to keep buying new ones like a car or truck. Is 150 hours too much? I will be using the boat about 4 to 5 times a month during the summer.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: How many hours is too many

It all depends on how it was cared for.If serviced properly 150 hours is nothing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On an abused or improperly broken in engine 10 hours is too much. On the other hand, a well cared for, properly operated engine, 1000 or 2000 hours may not be too much. However, in the grand scheme of things, as Gary points out, 150 hours is nothing.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the boat doesnt have an hour gauge like mine doesnt. ( now it does :D )
Dont take the word of the seller. Get a compression test done on the motor. That will pretty much tell you if its ok. And always ask for maintance records. Weak compression could lead to alot of bad things. A strong compression could lead to alot of good fishing. :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

To put it into perspective the average boater probably doesn't put more than 60-80 hours a year on a motor.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

in terms of use - 150 hours is nothing(would be less than 10,000 miles for most cars). A properly cared for marine engine will routinely run 2000 hours and 3000+ is not unheard of.

Have the engine checked out, like was stated earlier, it is all about the care the original owner gave it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Fresh or salt water?? If salt water, they go to pot just sitting in the garage with 10 hours on the clock. Even in fresh water it isn't realistic to compare with a car. A car typically runs at about 2500 RPM at 70 MPH. That barely gets a boat up on plane.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A properly cared for marine engine will routinely run 2000 hours and 3000+ is not unheard of.

Depends on where and how it is used. If used recreationally in saltwater you can cut those "routine" numbers in 1/2. You couldn't give away an SW motor with 1500 hours on it other than diesel I/B.

If the motor is used commercially or by a heavy user then you have a chance. The biggest enemy of any marine motor is idle time.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

My yamaha 1986 when i bought it I was told it had 2,600 hours on it. Compression is great and it runs great!!. I wouldn't trade it. I love that motor it starts with a bump of the flywheel and you dont have to use the high speed idle to start it. Its great. I take good care of it though and so did the previous owner.