25 Evinrude covert to ELE start???

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys i have a , I believe 1970 25 Hp Evinrude tiller, I know this may sound stupid but is there any way to make this engine an electric start. I have things on my boat that need power and am in need of a battery thats being charged from my engine!! Is there any way to make that happen???
Thanks guys

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 Evinrude covert to ELE start???

Lets get the year to start. What is the model number?

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im almost certian is a 70, the model # im not sure on, Ill have to get that tomarrow the boats not here

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what are you wanting to power with the battery, as these motors don't have a high charging system. they basically maintain the battery to start the motor.

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well ocasional use of trolling motor , and various things for a cigarette lighter, running lights,.... ,,,here a pic i have of my motor

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

An electric start does not change the battery it just saves you from pull starting it and you can easily get an add on electric start for that engine. You need a charging circuit in it to change the battery. Does yours have one and if so what TD says is accurate, it just maintains the battery mostly for starting, it does not have a lot of extra power for other stuff.

D

DJ

Look for a model number on a tag attached to the clamp bracket. If it is not there, look for numbers on a core (freeze) plug on the engine block.

If you did install a charging system, it will not maintain a trolling battery.

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright thanks guys ill check the model # tommarrow I guess my question or what i exactly want to know is more clear now, i could care less about electric start, i was assuming it was all part of the charging system,,,, all i want is to be able to charge my battery ,, so a charging system , i never put one on the engine. Thanks agian ill get back to you tomarrow with the model # .......

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok guys got the model # 25002E,, Let me know what ya think

Thanks