Alignment bar for Yamaha sterndrive

Celeb92

Seaman Apprentice
Love this forum. Really to-the-point info from people who care and share. So...my question. I've followed the threads on engine alignment when maintaining sterndrives but none have provided the specs for an alignment bar for the Yamaha. I have spare drive shafts. Can a spare shaft be used to check alignment or do I need a bar? If a bar, does anyone have the specs (such as have been published several times for Mercruisers)? Or, anyone know where I can buy one? I'm a pretty good shade tree mechanic who has built and maintained several types of race cars but boats are new to me. I'm learning -- thanks to you guys.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alignment bar for Yamaha sterndrive

Ayuh,......

If I'm not mistaken,......

The Alignment Bar We use is the Same for those Yamaha's,...........
As well as the Volvo's,+ OMC's that Need Alignment Bars......

Celeb92

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Bond-o. I've been reading posts in this forum for a while now and you always seem to have good information for those of us asking for help. Unfortunately, I don't follow your answer to my question. Are you saying that the alignment bar for the Merc -- such as you described for someone else in a reply later today -- is what I need for my Yamaha? I think that the coupler splines and diameter are the same but what about distance from the gimble bearing to the coupler, etc. If the Merc bar will work, I will have one made before the spring so that I can work on my rig. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Thank You......

I'm sure that somebody will be along,+ either confirm or deny whether I'm Right,......
Or Wrong.......... ;)

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Same bar....same women....

oh you mean engines.....still the same bar

Celeb92

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Flabum. One point of clarification. Bondo posted a Merc data sheet showing a MODIFIED bar. Given that my rig is a 1992 (and Yamaha only made the drive for a few year around the late 1980's), do I make the bar to the original dimensions or the MODIFIED dimensions -- or doesn't it matter. Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

or the MODIFIED dimensions

Ayuh,........ That's what you Want..........

Celeb92

Seaman Apprentice

OK -- thanks again guys -- particularly Bondo for posting the dimensions. I'll make a bar so that it is ready if/when the temperature ever gets above 70 F again!

Bondo

Staff member

so that it is ready if/when the temperature ever gets above 70 F again!

Ayuh,........

According to AlGore,+ the UN,........
It'll be 70? or more Year Round in another year or 2...........:D

Capt Ken

Commander

Use the early model alignment shaft with one stepdown and not the newer ones with two steps. The newer ones doesn't work as well.

Celeb92

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification Capt Ken. I will have one made with the original (NOT the modified) dimensions. Another winter project so that I can work on the boat when the weather permits.

Capt Ken

Commander

Weather??? It was in the 70's here today. Thought about taking the boat out but too many house projects on the list.