'90 150 GT-something strange today

cbeam2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had several threads a while back on this motor. Carbs, water pump, VRO disconnect have all been done. First trip out it ran great, (short trip). I went out today and all was good. I opened it up a couple of times just to test it wide open, the 2nd time I went WOT it went dead after a couple of minutes.

After I said oh **** @#$%#!, I tried to restart it. The first attempt it didn't want to turn over, (scared me, I thought it locked up). The second attempt it turned over and started. It didn't give me any more trouble after that but it did idle rough after that happened.

So what is the most likely cause??? Fuel issue maybe?

Chuck

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '90 150 GT-something strange today

Most likely is an overheat and it siezed. When it cooled it started.

Check compression first, then possible cause of overheat.

cbeam2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most likely is an overheat and it siezed. When it cooled it started.

Check compression first, then possible cause of overheat.

No, say it can't be:eek: I had previously tested the alarm circuit and I did not get an alarm when it quit. I will definately test it again and check the compression.

Chuck

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would ensure all is well before running again. If the alarm does not sound when grounding out the tan temp wire, you will need to investigate why. Then look into why it is overheating. Condition of waterpump, t stats, water line, etc....

cbeam2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The overheat alarm seems to be working fine so I guess I can eliminate that. Real glad it wasn't an overheat:) I really felt like it ran dry of fuel when it happened. I just can't figure out how it would run before and after and run out of fuel.

Anything electrical that would cause this?

Chuck

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Just a thought. Try heating up the power packs with a hairdryer or run her until she warms up, then test the power packs as per you manual, or if you do not have one will find the tests here. Checking for spark when it is acting up will better point you in the right direction.

"http://www.boatpartstore.com/page34.asp"

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it locked up and then freed up, check compression. Just because it didn't overheat doesn't mean it didn't stick a piston(s). The cause could be as simple as wrong plugs or a loose jet or timing. Or incorrect fuel / oil mix.