Steering question

Jeffreyi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm having a problem with the steering on my boat. A 1989, Maxim with an 85 hp Force motor. I disconnected the steering linkage and I am able to move the motor by hand. Also, when I turn the steering wheel the cable moves freely. I unscrewed the large nut when the cable enters the motor steering cylinder and I can see the cable move. The cylinder, that the cable pushes against in the "pipe" (?) seems stuck. Also, I can't seem to separate the cable from that cylinder .

Earlier, prior to taking off the nut I was able (with much difficulty) to pull the cylinder to the right. I cleaned it and worked it back and forth and it seemed OK until I put everything back together. When I turned the steering wheel and the cylinder slid in, everything seemed OK until I tried turning the wheel in the opposite direction. It wouldn't budge. How is the cable attached to that cylinder? Why did the cylinder slide easily in to the left, but would not come out easily to the right? How do I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering question

It could be that the "pipe" you are talking about, the one that the steering cable end slides within, has a slight bend to it. Or, the cable enters the pipe at an angle. Or, as what happened to my "pipe" which caused similar results, the pipe had a zerk fitting. This zerk fitting if tightened down too far, would catch on one end of the steering cable. Allowing the cable to slide one way but not the other.

Jeffreyi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your response. Well, I can eliminate the Zerk fitting, because I didn't have one. As far as the cable and the cylinder within the pipe go, or the pipe itself for that matter, how would they get bent. This boat has always been a little bit difficult to steer, but... it steered. I don't know how the pipe all of a sudden, became bent. But I suppose anything can happen. Also, a part of my question still remains: how can I separate the steering cable from the cylinder within the pipe so that I can check the parts discussed?

Thanks again.
Jeff

Jeffreyi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks.
How does the steering cable attach to the cylinder? Since the attachment is in the pipe I cannot see it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The tilt tube as they call it could have a bur in it.
The cable could have a bur on it that hits the outer cable as it slides back in.
Does it have a linkage hooked to it that goes to the front of the engine?
It could be binding in some way.
Boat topics and Questions, non engine.

D

DJ

Do this:

1. Remove the link that goes from the end of the cable to the arm, under the front of the engine.

2. Does you cable move freely (in/out) now?

3. If so, you are binding somwhere.

4. Remove the nut that attaches the cable to the tilt tube (pipe).

5. Pull the cable out. This may take some work. Inspect it thouroughly.

6. Clean out the pipe, re-lube and reassemble.

If the tilt tube (pipe) is bent, the cable may always bind. Replacing that pipe is not an easy job. you will definetely need an engine manual for that.

Jeffreyi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your response.

Since my last post, I learned a few things. First of all, the cable is in fact part of the extension that goes through the tilt tube. My question now is, how do I get all of that out of the tilt tube, must the engine be removed from the boat to do that?

Also, where can I get a new tilt tube?

D

DJ

Thanks for your response.

Since my last post, I learned a few things. First of all, the cable is in fact part of the extension that goes through the tilt tube. My question now is, how do I get all of that out of the tilt tube, must the engine be removed from the boat to do that?

Also, where can I get a new tilt tube?

The cable and the end are one piece. Not serviceable. You will need a whole new cable. Not too expensive.

The engine MAY have to be removed. It depends on your clearance to the side that you pull the cable out from.

You can get a tilt tube from your local Mercury dealer. Or, try Twin City Outbaord. Google them.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What you have is lack of preventative maintenance. Now you'll pay the price. The cable must be removed from the tilt tube and the rust cleaned out of the tube, then reassemble it with some good waterproof grease. The problem is RUST, plain and simple. It won't go away by itself, you have to clean it out. The cable is probably OK, it is the tube that rusts.

If there is not enough room to slide the cable out of the tube, (usually isn't) then yes you have to hoist the motor off the boat. You don't have to unhook any cables or anything, just unbolt it and hoist it up, then work on the cable while hanging from the hoist. No hoist? Well, what can I say....

D

DJ

No hoist? Well, what can I say....

Not so hard. Just need a freind and use your trailer tongue jack.

1. Wind the tongue jack all the way down.

2. Lower the motor so it is vertical.

3. Put a block of wood under the motor skeg.

4. Unbolt the engine and drive the bolts out, WHILE THE FREIND HOLDS IT.

5. Crank the tongue jack up. Viola, your motor is free.

I did just that to replace my cable.

Jeffreyi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As usual, this website is most informative. I've yet to have a question that has not been answered completely and intelligently by such knowledgeable people.

Thanks to all.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After it is free, you may have to move it to the side somewhat to get the clearance to get cable out and new one in.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Before you go to all of the trouble of unbolting the motor from the transom, try disconnecting the steering cable at the back of the steering wheel. Depending on how old it is, it may loosen by backing off a nut that is similar to the one at the tilt tube or, it may have a pin at the edge of the molded flange/receptacle, where the cable goes into the drum. Once it is free, you may be able to feed the cable forward along the rail so that you can pull the motor end of it out of the tilt tube.

I am not familiar with your boat so this advice may or may not be applicable. It just becomes a question of determining which is easier, moving the cable or moving the engine.