Oil sending gear

mrccure

Cadet
I have had my 1988 Mariner 150 in the shop for trouble shooting, intermittent alarm. They have come to the conclusion that there is an oil sending gear that works off the crank shaft that has stripped and does not work the oil pump. They indicate it can cost from 200.00 to 2500.00 depending on what else they found. They also mentioned that I would be okay to simply do premix into the gas tank and things should be fine. I know this is not the best thing to do, but would it suffice for a little while until I can come up with the additional funds and if so, what is the mixing ratio to mix in the tank?

Thanks in advance of any assistance.

gss036

Commander
Re: Oil sending gear

First off, the $2500 is a realistic price for the fix. The engine has to disassembled to replace that gear on the crankshaft. That being the case, have them put the kit in it for removing the oil pump, etc and go for premixing. The ease depends on the size of your gas tank. If it is over 50 gallon, then you just add a gallon of oil. The mix ratio is 50-1.
Your engine is not worth $2500.00.

mrccure

Cadet

Thank you for the information, did not know there was a kit available. I will inquire about the cost to do the installation. Is the kit simple enough to be able to do myself, or is major dismantling needed for the engine. I cannot imagine it to be too difficult to do myself.

Thanks again for the information.

gss036

Commander

Very simple kit. You will need to disconnect the senders so you shut off the alarms.

j_martin

Admiral

There is an aftermarket electric oil pump for that engine. Retails for $600. I've seen them on eBay for much less.

"http://www.marinesolutionswi.com/"

Premix works, but it's cumbersome, and the oil mix stays the same. If you idle a lot, it could load up. If you normally go hammer down, there won't be much difference in operation.

hope it helps
John