anybody else's body sore?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
i dont know if this post should be in stupid human tricks or what.....
im doin a re fit.....stringers floor and transom.....then gelcoat.
im currently doin destruction.....
man is my body sore!
my back aches. legs are numb. and hands are like sandpaper (according to my girl)
speaking of my girl...she said something about waking up all itchy...heh heh!

the re-fit has just started and i feel like i just ran a marathon!

is this normal or do i need better tools?

oops

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: anybody else's body sore?

if you are not use to that type work, it is perfectly normal. but when you get to be my age, and have done construction work all your life, you can just get out of bed and feel that way.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Oh yeah, I'm with you there on being sore, hands beat up, and itchy. I only get in a couple hours of work before I have to rest my right arm from swinging the hammer (chisseling out the old transom).

But, it's all going to be worth it in the end, right? ;)

tashasdaddy

SgtMaj, i found this tool invaluable

Attachments

• floor scraper.jpg
    floor scraper.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

When strip building my 30 footer I learned that a hot tub was a neccesary tool, just like a hammer or a clamp!:D

Come to think of it so was the glass of whiskey while soaking.......and maybe the cigar too.......

Ah, the list goes on. You just need to be properly equiped for the job at hand.

Now will anyone talk me out of thinking about building a 25 foot power cuddy cruiser? Please?

tashasdaddy

i'm a great supervisor, as long as the cooler is full.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

im doin a re fit.....stringers floor and transom.....then gelcoat.
im currently doin destruction.....
man is my body sore!
my back aches. legs are numb. and hands are like sandpaper (according to my girl)
speaking of my girl...she said something about waking up all itchy...heh heh!

the re-fit has just started and i feel like i just ran a marathon!

is this normal or do i need better tools?

oops

Well, simply put, if you DON"T feel this way after ripping out you old deck, you ain't doing it right LOL.............

wncrjb

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it's all going to be worth it in the end, right? ;)

gotta admit, pulling a totally saturated peice of floor, or pulling a motor mount, that you can squeeze the water out of, knowing its gonna be "right"
when its done. what a gratifing job.

i sell matresses, can load an entire fifty three footer by myself, some of thoes queens and kings weigh over 200 lbs. i can pick them up and run with them. thats just all balance. but this is different.

td, thanks for the scraper ideas with the transom that you suggested to sarg,
that will come in handy, ive used your electric chain saw idea. workrd great!
i chickend out when i got too close to the hull tho. :D used a grinder for that!

well, off to a full day of work, then another four hours of play on the boat!
c ya in traction!:eek:

oops

tashasdaddy

i use the chain saw, then scrape the remains out.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

After doing all the sanding on my 13ft boat with a palm sander and mouse sander. I have tendinitis in my left wrist anyway but doing that sanding job really really hurt, and that was after swapping hands while sanding. I'll put it this way, the sanding was more painful for me then removing the floor, stringers, and transom.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel sore in my bad leg, I am just one big pain :eek: and arthritis doesn't help matters and I'm not that old.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

My eyes are all puffy and sore tonight. My hands are kinda numb too. I was power washing the hog barn down for two days now. The pressure washer has a vibration that makes my hands numb and the hot steaming pig manure splashing into my eyes makes them hurt at night. Only two more days to go and I'll have the job done. The worst part is it takes several days for the pig manure smell to wear off your skin.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

My eyes are all puffy and sore tonight. My hands are kinda numb too. I was power washing the hog barn down for two days now. The pressure washer has a vibration that makes my hands numb and the hot steaming pig manure splashing into my eyes makes them hurt at night. Only two more days to go and I'll have the job done. The worst part is it takes several days for the pig manure smell to wear off your skin.

A little off from the main subject. It takes several days for anything to do with a pig pen to wear off lol. I agreed to feed one cousin's pigs for a week while he went on vacation. The agreement was that I feed the pigs he would give me a boat with the motor :). I still have the boat but sold the motor. That was a rank job I smelled horrible that whole week and then some.

I must add that wiring a boat can be a painful job also, I have been into positions that I haven't been in in a long time when rewiring my boat lol. That and taking the old pedestal bases off wasn't no fun either.

puddle jumper

Captain

gotta admit, pulling a totally saturated peice of floor, or pulling a motor mount, that you can squeeze the water out of, knowing its gonna be "right"
when its done. what a gratifing job.

i sell matresses, can load an entire fifty three footer by myself, some of thoes queens and kings weigh over 200 lbs. i can pick them up and run with them. thats just all balance. but this is different.

td, thanks for the scraper ideas with the transom that you suggested to sarg,
that will come in handy, ive used your electric chain saw idea. workrd great!
i chickend out when i got too close to the hull tho. :D used a grinder for that!

well, off to a full day of work, then another four hours of play on the boat!
c ya in traction!:eek:

oops
Its called muscle memory. When i helped a friend build a down stairs i was beet and he had lots of energy. But a week later he helped me with an engine job and he was wiped and i was still going strong.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

After doing all the sanding on my 13ft boat with a palm sander and mouse sander. I have tendinitis in my left wrist anyway but doing that sanding job really really hurt, and that was after swapping hands while sanding. I'll put it this way, the sanding was more painful for me then removing the floor, stringers, and transom.

I usually go numb for hours when sanding... but I just got one of those black and decker mouse sanders with the gel... MAN OH MAN does that gel help tremendously! I can sand hours longer now than before. The rest of the sander feels cheap and I doubt it'll last more than a year, but it came with a 2-year warranty for free, so I'll just trade it in when it gives out. Oh, and did I mention it actually IS cheap? $30 at home depot.

D

DJ

I always feel that way after doing an activity that I do not do everyday.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I usually go numb for hours when sanding... but I just got one of those black and decker mouse sanders with the gel... MAN OH MAN does that gel help tremendously! I can sand hours longer now than before. The rest of the sander feels cheap and I doubt it'll last more than a year, but it came with a 2-year warranty for free, so I'll just trade it in when it gives out. Oh, and did I mention it actually IS cheap? $30 at home depot.

The mouse sander I have is a black and decker just like your's Sgtmaj. I agree that the gel grip does make it more comfortable, but the tendinitis flares up from the repetitive wrist movement so it really doesn't make a difference what sander I am using I wouldn't think.

When I first was diagnosed with this tendinitis I thought I broke my wrist and this happened at work years back, my wrist swelled up. Nothing was broke the doctor examined the xrays he said his final diagnoses was definitely tendinitis, I don't know if this is something that will stay with me for the wrest of my life or what. I guess I could research it on the internet, honestly it never dawned on me that I could research this medical problem online until now. I guess I have had one of them duh moments lol.