Evinrude Lightwin Model #?

outboard_kid

Cadet
Great forum. I'm glad to join this forum to get some expert advice on outboards. I have an Evinrude Lightwin 3014 built in 1955 according to a website I googled. But what are the differences between 3014, 3015, and 3016. Anybody knows?? I am also trying to get a user manual on this motor. Help....

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude Lightwin Model #?

I think they are all the same. Back then several model #s were often the same year.

outboard_kid

Cadet

Thanks CC,
So all parts among these models are interchangeable?
O_K

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I'm no expert, but I would say yes on those #s

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I really don't know the difference but some of the small OMC outboards came in different lower unit configurations - standard, weedless, etc. Maybe thats what the different numbers are about.

PS: Just surfed a bit. The 3015 appears to have been a long shaft version at 5" longer. The 3016 was called a Ducktwin and appears to have been painted on "camo-brown" rather than Evinrude Blue.

outboard_kid

Cadet

Jay,
That makes sense. How would you explain there are three different model #s in the same year. I guess I would have to look for "Lightwin" model to find compatible parts. What I really like to get out of this thread is to compile a list of motors (from OMC of course) that are compatible to the 1955 Lightwin. Spare parts are getting rare. From what I've been hearing this is a great engine to keep.
O_K

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I just picked up a 3012 last week. They are great engines... and they are all pretty much the same into the mid 60's. Parts are almost all the same and relatively easy to get... so keep it going...

wbeaton

Commander

Nothing appreciable. You can get replacement parts from any Johnson/Evinrude from 1952-67. And 4 hp until 1972 or so.

I have a 1959 crankshaft in my 1967 3 hp.

outboard_kid

Cadet

Johnson's 3hp parts from 1952 to 1967 could go into this Lightwin? Any other OMC motors share the same Lightwin design and parts?

wbeaton

Commander

Johnson and Evinrude 3 hp motors are the same except for cowl/tank. In fact, Johnson/Evinrude have been mechanically identical in most models since the early 1950's into the 1990's. The motor has had a few revisions, but for the most part it remained unchanged during its entire run from 1952 to 67. The 4 hp was a 3 hp with some modifications. Some argue its the best motor ever built. The motor was produced in some form up into the 1990's (I believe).

Look for replacement parts from any Johnson (JW) or Evinrude (Lightwin) built between 1952-67. The closer the donor is to your year the better.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

outboard kid, isn't having 15 years of engines enough to choose from and you want more choice! hmmm... you can use pretty much any of the 3's for parts... when it comes to the ignition system though, the coils, wires and points are interchangable throughout all the OMC's in the 50's and 60's pretty much...

outboard_kid

Cadet

Samo, never enough on replacement parts. Just kidding... Ignition parts and cooling parts I will get new but the engine parts are what I am after. Even though there are many of them out there but opportunity to get engine parts is still slim. I may be wrong there. But if this is such a good engine, don't people just keep them running anyway. Thus less parts!
Also, I am just wondering any other OMC like Sea King brand uses the same twin cylinder design. Same Carb and so on. Just for my own curiosity...