Top 10 best looking small outboards ever..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Top 10 best looking small outboards ever..

Chinewalker-----does that racing motor idle? It sounds like a big ol' chainsaw! I'd love to hear it idle.....I'll bet it does sound MEAN!
JBJ

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

JBJ,
At idle, on a boat, it sounds like it has a HUGE shaker cam in it. The timing is set at full advance, so at idle it's enough to rock your fillings out! Plus, it kind of burbles a bit as you're idling and the exhaust burps in and out of the water. Man, I'm getting goosebumps just describing it! That test-tank video is alright, but in open water it's even better. The downward flow of the exhaust tuners (one for each cylinder, incorporated into the mid-section) bounces the exhaust, with accompanying sound wave, off the water. It really is something else...

The last time I ran mine was at a race in a small lake surrounded by cliffs on three sides. I had craphoused during my last heat and got the motor wet. I got the motor dried out on shore, but decided to take a few hot laps to completely dry it out. When I came in and shut the motor down the echo continued for a full three seconds afterwards. Pretty cool...

- Scott

My top ten picks:

Yes, I'm bored......

JBJ

:p

Hey JBJ, just out of curiosity what engine is that in your avatar? Kind of looks like the 7.5 Johnson that was on our boat when I was a kid. That engine was already old then, my grandfather'd had it then my dad got it from him. But it still ran great, survived everything a teenaged kid could dream up to do with a 12 ft. aluminum boat. I never really knew what year it was, just the fact that it ran was all I cared about. For those few summers it was just me and that little boat, I'd either be fishing, cruising the lake, or me and a buddy taking turns pulling each other on a wooden 'surf board'.

jbjennings

Captain

I really wish you wouldn't ask, as you can tell I just hate talking about old OMC's. ;) It's a 1957 johnson 18hp, my favorite motor. The '57 7.5 hp you had looked very similar. Those '57's in any small horsepower were great, bulletproof motors. When I get 'em, they're pretty much worn out but with just a little tinkering, will run great. I can't say enough good things about 'em. You ought to get you one, it'll really take you back to the "good 'ol days".
Thanks for asking,
JBJ

jbjennings

Captain

Guys,
I saw this ad on ebay tonight. I know it might look pretty plain-jane to some, but I think it is a really good-looking motor. I think it would make the "top ten", especially if I owned one! The ad said it weighs only 85 lbs.! Somebody send me one!
JBJ

Attachments

• john25.jpg
    john25.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

When it comes to OMC's, I like all the designs & color schemes up to the time Johnson went to the white rounded covers/cowls and E-rude went to the boxy designs for covers/cowls. Also like the Merc designs/colors right up through the mid to late 60's when they went with the black covers/cowls with colored bands. That said, if it runs or doesn't take too much of my flesh getting it to run, it's a da*n fine outboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.