Math ....HELP!

oddjob

Commander
Hello all, My 6 grader Lee as well as his older 9th grade brother Eugene are both taking gifted ( advance math ) at school. Lee gets a "Problem of the week" word problem to solve every week and we are struggling trying to help him. The first problem none of us can figure. The second is a problem from a few weeks ago he could not solve as well. We would be grateful to anyone who can help us out here. See below:

The student store sells school supplies, hats, and t-shirts with the name printed on them. At the end of each month an inventory is taken to find out what needs to be ordered. The person who counted the hats and t-shirts cannot remember exactly how many of each there were, but he does remember to facts:

 There were four times as many t-shirts as hats.

 There were 54 more t-shirts than hats.

The other:

Five friends to get together to have a thanksgiving dinner. Roger, Ted, Pam, tom, and donna brought(in no particular order)turkey, salad, dressing, peas, and potatoes. Each item was brought on a different colored plate(in no particular order-white, purple, black, green, and pink). From the clues given, try to determine the kind of food each person brought and what color plate it was on.

1. No food begins with the same letter as the name of the person who brought it.

2. The dressing was not bought by Tom or Pam.

3. The person who brought the potatoes and the person who brought the green plate both have names beginning with the same letter.

4. Neither Roger?s plate Ted?s plate was purple, and the peas were also not bought on the purple plate.

5. Tom?s food and the food on the pink plate are not peas or potatoes.

6. Donna did not bring the black plate.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Math ....HELP!

Okay, 4*hats = t-shirts
hats + 54 = t-shirts

4H = H + 54
3H = 54
Hats =18
4*18 = 72 t-shirts

Math I can handle - the other, well, too much stress on the brain today!

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

For the first one:

Since there are 4 times as many t-shirts as hats. Use the equation t=4h

For the 54 more t-shirts. Use t-54=h

now you would want to solve for either t or h using substitution.

Meaning one of the following equations: t=4(t-54) or h=4h-54

The next step would be gathering all the variables on one side of the equal.

using the first equation that would be 0=4(t-54)-t

expanding that out would be 0=4t-216-t or 0=3t-216

to solve for t get the variable alone on one side of the equation: 216=3t

to simplify this portion divide both sides by 3 leaving the answer of t=72

to verify this answer and find the value of h plug it back into both of the original eqauations. 72=4h comes out to 18=h and 72-54=h also ends with 18=h.

I haven't looked at the second yet but I hope this helps with the first.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yeah, i went thru that 30 years ago,with Michael. forgot it all again.

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Word problems ( More fun than a barrell o Monkeys ) :eek:

oddjob

Commander

Thanks everyone...the first one is the most important....And we understand ....thanks for also laying it out...

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

The other:

Five friends to get together to have a thanksgiving dinner. Roger, Ted, Pam, tom, and donna brought(in no particular order)turkey, salad, dressing, peas, and potatoes. Each item was brought on a different colored plate(in no particular order-white, purple, black, green, and pink). From the clues given, try to determine the kind of food each person brought and what color plate it was on.

1. No food begins with the same letter as the name of the person who brought it.

3. The person who brought the potatoes and the person who brought the green plate both have names beginning with the same letter.

4. Neither Roger?s plate Ted?s plate was purple, and the peas were also not bought on the purple plate.

Ok, this is mostly the process of elimination. There are 3 sets of variables: plates, people, food. Remember - when someone 'gets' a plate/food all the other people 'do not' get that plate/food. (I used people as the 'fixed' point, but you can use any one of the variables). Then, go through and gather information. Some of the work is shown. Also, the assignments are in order of how I discovered them. I didn't keep a step by step - but I'm guessing you can recreate it given the hints below.

Ted & Tom - No turkey.
Pam - no peas or potatoes.
Donna - no dressing.

Tom - No turkey. No dressing.
Pam - No peas. No potatoes. No dressing.

3. The person who brought the potatoes and the person who brought the
green plate both have names beginning with the same letter.
Ted and Tom - one brought potatoes and one brought green plate.
Ted - No turkey. potatoes or green plate.
Tom - No turkey. No dressing. potatoes or green plate.

4. Neither Roger?s plate Ted?s plate was purple,
Roger - no purple.
Ted - No turkey. potatoes or green plate. No purple.

and the peas were also not bought on the purple plate.

Tom - No turkey. No dressing. potatoes or green plate. No peas. No potatoes.
*** Obviously brought salad on green plate. And killed Colonel Mustard in the kitchen with a salad fork.

Donna No dressing. No black.

"Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. "

Donna No dressing. No black. No green (used). Peas. No purple. No pink. White.
Pam No peas or potatoes. No dressing. No salad. No green. Turkey. Purple.
Roger No purple. Dressing. Pink.
Ted No turkey. potatoes or green plate. No purple. Potatoes. Not pink. Not Green plate. No white. Black.

Tom No turkey. No dressing. potatoes or green plate. No peas. No potatoes. Green plate. Salad.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

im lost i still cant figure out the problems even after reading the explanation maby its just because im tired. math was never my strong point though i always strugled to pass math classes.... and spelling other than that i did pretty good in school

aspeck

Staff member

"Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. "

AAAHHHH, yes, one of the all time classics! The Princess Bride. Great quote!

oddjob

Commander

Thanks Aspeck Bart, v1_0, any everyone again for everyones help and humor. I will share the second problem with Lee tonight... :)

soonerdg

Cadet

I think this is the answer to the second problem

Roger - Dressing on the Pink plate
Ted - Potatoes on the Black plate
Pam - Turkey on the Purple plate
Tom - Salad on the Green plate
Donna - Peas on the White Plate

Let me know if it's right.

beerrun

Petty Officer 2nd Class