Inboard outboard air cooled engine

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Inboard outboard air cooled engine

Not a lot to report on the "SHAKER" project today, the wife decided to spring clean the garage in the middle of January.:eek: But I'm better off for it, at least I can walk all the way around the boat now!:)

maxum247

Lieutenant

Sorry, been out, & busy all day, just got in,,, Home Depot, & hardware stores, sell small aluminum sheets, that have a hollow pattern cut in them like lattice, or, perforated speaker grill material, that you can bend around to form a cap to fasten to the transom then run the pipe thru that, it will do 2 things, be a support for the pipe, and be ventilated to help cool things off, & dissipate heat., But you still need a plate to cover the exposed fiberglass, & wood, sandwich material of the transom undermeath, first I think. So, as you see this gives you extra work rather then just putting a metal sleeve in the hole, around the exhaust pipe as you originally had it.

I'll be heading to Ace on my lunch break tomorrow!:)

MikDee

Banned

Not a lot to report on the "SHAKER" project today, the wife decided to spring clean the garage in the middle of January.:eek: But I'm better off for it, at least I can walk all the way around the boat now!:)

LOL! Tell me about it, we do this often, & it still don't help! :D
The "SHAKER" is really coming along well! Yes, a piece of perforated of some type, aluminum bent into a U, then slipped over, and resting on the transom, screwed down, with the exhaust pipe running thru it should do the trick!
By the way, the fuel tank looks good, but a bit small considering,,,lol,,, Have you given any thoughts to a tiller, or rudder?

maxum247

Lieutenant

LOL! Tell me about it, we do this often, & it still don't help! :D
The "SHAKER" is really coming along well! Yes, a piece of perforated of some type, aluminum bent into a U, then slipped over, and resting on the transom, screwed down, with the exhaust pipe running thru it should do the trick!
By the way, the fuel tank looks good, but a bit small considering,,,lol,,, Have you given any thoughts to a tiller, or rudder?

Man I've got that rudder all figured out, been puttin together different idea's that I got here from you guy's. It'll be a little while coming, but I think you'll be impressed when you see it! It'll be a little different!:)

I'll carry spare gas for now til I see how it does. If it' like my old eight horse out board riding lawn mower engine, I used to get a three hour trip on about a gallon, gallon and a half I think it was out rock fishing in january when it was rough and windy, hope this one will be that good!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Cut the access hole for the throttle and key switch in the seat tonight. Took about an hour and a half, an hour of that was digging the foam out from under the seat, hard stuff to get out! Gotta pick up something to cover it with tomorrow. Then mount switch plates on top of that. Got good access to my wiring this way.

Cut the throttle and key switch trim plates out of the the old riding mower dash tonight, came out pretty decent. Here's you a look!:)

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Man I've got that rudder all figured out, been puttin together different idea's that I got here from you guy's. It'll be a little while coming, but I think you'll be impressed when you see it! It'll be a little different!:)

I'll carry spare gas for now til I see how it does. If it' like my old eight horse out board riding lawn mower engine, I used to get a three hour trip on about a gallon, gallon a half I think it was out rock fishing in january when it was rough and windy, hope this one will be that good!

Me too! The new smart boat.

MikDee

Banned

Cut the access hole for the throttle and key switch in the seat tonight. Took about an hour and a half, an hour of that was digging the foam out from under the seat, hard stuff to get out! Gotta pick up something to cover it with tomorrow. Then mount switch plates on top of that. Got good access to my wiring this way.

Cut the throttle and key switch trim plates out of the the old riding mower dash tonight, came out pretty decent. Here's you a look!:)

Moving right along, Looking G:):)d! By the way, Home Depot has small pieces of lexan plastic, or plexiglas, cheap, if you need it to mount, or make something, even a rudder ;)

maxum247

Lieutenant

Me too! The new smart boat.

No hard running rock fishing, just a touch above idle so the fuel went a long way. The only run time I had above idle was 10 minutes or so out and 10 minutes or so in. Thought I better throw that in!:)

maxum247

Lieutenant

Went to work fine tuning the driveshaft and coupling tonight. Had to make a sleeve out of an aluminum coke can to make up the difference of the driveshaft size and the inside of the coupling. Thought early on I had a perfect fit between the two without the shim, but upon closer inspection there was a burr around the inside of the coupling that made it feel tight on the driveshaft. Once burr was removed it left slack between the coupling and driveshaft. Coke can shim took care of that! I get that taken care of and I start to drill a hole thru the coupling and and driveshaft to secure the coupling to the driveshaft and the corded drill decided to chuck the chuck. I go get the cordless drill, of course there's no charge, so I grab the charger from the work shop plug it in and there's no power to the charger. Had power everywhere else but to the charger. What are the chances?:( Off to the store tomorrow at lunch for a new drill. I think I just passed the $125 budget on this project, o'well I get a new drill out of the deal and with the wife's blessings!:)

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

Tuff luck :(
But I think the only weak link in this whole project, is the coupling, you may have to make sleeve to clamp, or a clamping sleeve, to go over the hose, & coupling assembly to keep it spinning true, & good and snug.

Lone Duck

Every thing is coming along great. Congratulations on your new drill. If I had a fine understanding wife like yours , I'd let her clean the shop more often.;)

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey there -- really enjoying this thread (taken about four evenings stolen time here and there to read it all :D) and best of luck to ya Maxum!

Coupla things. I heartily endorse any ideas to cover as much of that exhaust as possible. Out there with the little boat rocking and such, it's only a matter of time before you put your hand smack down on that pipe.

Also, it's electric start right? Have you given any thought to your battery location? Maybe not that critical but as you plan out the rest of the rig, don't forget that.

And lastly -- are you going to seal up that wood at all? Be a shame for it to become a soggy mess after all that work. I'd consider glue and screw for it considering the vibration factor.

That's it -- back to my recliner to watch and enjoy!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey there -- really enjoying this thread (taken about four evenings stolen time here and there to read it all :D) and best of luck to ya Maxum!

Coupla things. I heartily endorse any ideas to cover as much of that exhaust as possible. Out there with the little boat rocking and such, it's only a matter of time before you put your hand smack down on that pipe.

Also, it's electric start right? Have you given any thought to your battery location? Maybe not that critical but as you plan out the rest of the rig, don't forget that.

And lastly -- are you going to seal up that wood at all? Be a shame for it to become a soggy mess after all that work. I'd consider glue and screw for it considering the vibration factor.

That's it -- back to my recliner to watch and enjoy!

Hid the exhaust down under the engine as far as I could get it. There will be a cover of some sort on the top part of the exhaust.

Battery will mount on a tray just behind the seat on the port side to help balance the boat out.

It's mostly salt treated, but will be sealed and screwed together.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Been getting the spare bedroom ready to paint so progress is a little slow, but I did get the trim plate for the key switch and throttle made and painted and installed to see how it would look. Got the throttle hook up taken care of, but still have to run the wiring, no big deal just have to get the time.

Drilled the pin hole through the coupling and driveshaft, a nice snug fit, don't beleive I'll have any worries with that spring steel pin thru there! The alignment looks nice and true.

I guess my next move will be to get back on the lower unit and get it mounted for good! Not crazy about grinding fiberglass,:( put it off as long as I can, got to get it done, so I can get started on the rudder.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

Looking Better All the time! I like that panel, pretty Slick! Keep up the Good Work

Lone Duck

Yep! Panel looks good. Take your time now on the L U wish I was there , Then again if I was you'd probably have clouted me with a wrench by now.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Yep! Panel looks good. Take your time now on the L U wish I was there , Then again if I was you'd probably have clouted me with a wrench by now.

On vacation for nine days starting Friday evening,:D maybe I'll get the lower unit finished up during that time. Got the pocket for the air vent screw glassed in tonight, ready to turn the boat over and start grinding and glasssing. Come on down LD we'll finish it up!:)

Lone Duck

On vacation for nine days starting Friday evening,:D maybe I'll get the lower unit finished up during that time. Got the pocket for the air vent screw glassed in tonight, ready to turn the boat over and start grinding and glasssing. Come on down LD we'll finish it up!:)
Down where? I'm 21 hours north of vancouver B.C. Can. The price of fuel here sucks.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Down where? I'm 21 hours north of vancouver B.C. Can. The price of fuel here sucks.

Wow -- that's north all right...You should be telling us how many hours south of Anchorage instead! :D

maxum247

Lieutenant

Here's tonight's progress report. Ground down the old paint and fiberglass on the bottom of the boat, glad that's done! And decided to cut the cavatation plate off. Still plenty of strength, left about three quarters of an in down each side of the lower unit so it should be plenty strong. Got to get the paint off the lower unit next where the glass will go. Mistake number one, the vent screw, mistake number two, not removing the paint on the lower unit, should have done that while it was out of the boat. O'well just a little more work!:(

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0