Anyone know how to keep tell tale line from freezing while duck hunting?

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I had a friend who was duck hunting this weekend and his tell tale hose kept freezing up on him when he would shut the motor off for a period of time. He said when he would start the motor water would come out of the exhaust holes but not the tell tale until they had sucked on it for a while or blew air from their mouth up it for a while. Is there anything to do to prevent this other than picking a warmer day to duck hunt?

Evinrude15

Cadet
Re: Anyone know how to keep tell tale line from freezing while duck hunting?

Not Really, I am a duck hunter and when you get those cold mornings, there is not anything that you can do except warm it up with your hands and breath. Hows the duck hunting?? Here in Maine It has been a little slow.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

I remember getting up at 6AM on Sebago Lake to go snowmobiling, and my telltale froze as I walked out the door. Actually, the telltale is no big deal on your engine, as long as you have the thermostat or bypass discharge coming out the back of the engine as you noted. If you're still worried, head to the store for dinner!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It really does'nt matter if the tell tale is showing, the engine is self draining. If you lift the engine out of the water in freezing weather, the water in the pump housing can freeze, sticking the impellor blades to the housing, this can cause a problem. Keep the pump housing submerged in freezing weather if possible.

D

DJ

As the others have stated, a blocked tell tale causes no issue other than you can't see water flow.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Personally I would go to the grocery store to get my duck , stay home nice and warm and drink beer !!!! while looking forward to spring !!!! LOL

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Have as little as possible sticking out the bottom of the pan. I have found that it only freezes on the exposed hose.Also, I run the motor full blast, if I can, back to the ramp and do a couple laps to warm it up good before pulling it out on the trailer...then leave the motor in the down position to drain well.