Regarding the correct gear case lube

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Regarding the correct gear case lube for a 1986 110 hp Evinrude:

The manual says OMC Hi-Vis Gearcase Lube, but would any High viscosity LOWER UNIT GEAR LUBE for outboard lower units work okay?

Jack

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Regarding the correct gear case lube

According to my factory OMC manual,CRC Hi Vis gear lube is the exact replacement. I have ordered it through NAPA before.
Or a lot of guys run the Johnson-Rude lube from any Evinrude dealer or Mobile 1 GL-5 synthetic...

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I only use OMC/BRP Hi-Vis. It is not cheap but considering how often it needs to be changed, it's cheap insurance.

Don't forget to change the fill/drain plug screw seals. Otherwise that lube can get contaminated quickly.

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I decided to get Lucas High Performance Heavy Duty SAE 80w-90 Gear Oil. It says "Excellent for use in outboard final drives." Not cheap, but since I live 45 minutes away from the nearest West Marine store (and don't normally go that direction) I decided to simply buy from Advance Auto. I should think it would do fine, but, if there's an expert that says absolutely "not good" I guess I'll reconsider.

Jack

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

An "expert" I aint. I do know what has worked for me. Again, replace the fill/drain plug seals or that high $$$ lube will be trash, in no time.

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Regarding >fill/drain plug seals<

Yes, I believe the one on the bottom is missing. Where can I get those things?

Jack

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

That is one thing you need to get from your local John/Rude dealer.

As said, it doesn't matter, so much, as what you put in it as it does keeping it sealed.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Make sure the one you think is missing is still not in the hole.I have had to pick them out many times.If it was really missing that would have been a leak for sure.

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

>need to get from your local John/Rude dealer<

I did a Google search, and the nearest is 2 hrs away -- I'll give them a call tomorrow.

>Make sure the one you think is missing is still not in the hole.I have had to pick them out many times.<

What?! It can be pushed into the gear case?!

>If it was really missing that would have been a leak for sure.<

Well, upon draining the oil, it did come out very milky.

Jack

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

No, it can not be pushed inside (unless you really try) but it can stay in the recessed hole. I was taking one out yest of one of my LU's and there were two old felt ones in the hole. The first one came out easy, the second had to be really picked out. Then use the new plastic ones.

And some folks just use standard 90 weight gear oil for the LU. I use mostly the OMC Hi Vis myself, but have just started trying out some standard 90 weight to see how it works...