1986 Omc Pertronix E.s.a Module

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
first of all do i even have a shift interrupter? i am clearly new to boats ....
however ... right now my engine runs fine and all is good ... should i even do this upgrade ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Omc Pertronix E.s.a Module

If you have a Cobra drive, on that 86, yes you have a shift interrupt switch.
The engine will run with either system, however, with the points you now have you will have to change them occasionally for best performance (Preferably yearly) and reset the dwell and timing each time.

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the quick reply .... the reason i ask .. there is a omc shift interrupter fix for marine applications.. so i have to go get 2 400v 3a diodes
and 2 4.7k 1/2 watt resistors from radio shack .. seems like a pain ... is it really worth doing ? and yeah i have a cobra drive ... i guess what im asking ... with your experience have you seen many problems with this set up ... :confused:

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

You can also replace your ESA with one from CDI/RAPAIR that is compatible with electronic igintion and then you don't have to do the diode/resistor fix which seems to get mixed results.

marada1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I put the Pertronix igniter on my 1990 OMC Cobra last year and I'm very pleased with it. The local Radio Shack had the resistors in stock but had to order the diodes. The shift assist fix works fine and is really no trouble if you can solder.
Sure beats points!!

a70eliminator

Captain

I've also heard issues with the tachometer becoming eratic with the pertronix upgrade, ever have any problems in that area?

marada1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not me. The only problem I had was initial kit was wrong for my distributer. Everything fit fine but the engine would not start. After much troubleshooting I discovered that the magnet ring was not properly aligning with the igniter module. I called Pertronix and they sent me a revised kit. Same part number but with a "-A" . Its worked perfectly since.

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i am looking into that cdi repair . esa ...
i dont have a tach on my hoopty ... :D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If it runs good now i'd leave it be.The points are not bad to replace when you do your tune up.
Just my opinion.I have run into problems many times changing things that don't need it.

brazosboater

Cadet

I've got an '87 year model beachcraft w/omc 3.0L the points haven't been changed in probably 3 years, and they don't need changing now. Run the hell out of your boat before you go and upgrade the ignition system, you might run into other problems that need attention first...like I did. I too thought about pertronix, but after taking my time getting to know the boat and all of its little oddities (it is 20 years old) I realized that it is fine the way it is, and if it ain't broke, and it is not acting like it is going to be broke...don't even think about touching it. I ran some bad gas out of mine on a "short" trip, and due to the b-12 in the tank it ran better than it ever had, and we ended up going about 70 miles that day. Not that I am tooting B-12's horn, but what I'm saying is that points work, until they are the last step in troubleshooting. The problem I have had most is the wiring, and the fact that I knew nothing about filling oil in I/O outdrives. Yes, I killed it. Do you happen to have a top speed on yours? I don't have a speedometer, but I'm guessing slightly more than 30 on smooth water? Just wondering what prop you use, and where you boat. It'd be nice to see another beachcraft. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

whywhyzed

Banned

I found every spring my OMC 3.0 would not start until I took some crocus cloth to the points and cleaned off a thin white film of corrosion.
Then another time, it was running like crap - the points looked great but they weren't - left me stranded - luckily made it back to the lock and boat ramp and took a taxi home for the car/trailer. That right there made me decide to switch to Pertronix.
I wouldn't fart around with soldering up radio shack stuff when an additional $25 gets you a new Pertronix compatible ESA to replace an ESA that's been vibrating on the side of an engine for 21 years.... weird logic to me... 21 year old electronic modules need to replaced as a matter of common sense ... boat engines conking out is seriously unsafe... I treat mine like it's an airplane engine.

brazosboater

Cadet

Well, after reading kjd's reply I wish I could delete mine. Good point kjd, no pun intended there. Maybe I will look into pertronix.

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for everyones input .... and i fully understand what everyone is saying . i already picked up the radio shack stuff for a few dollars ... but im not against replacing the esa with one that will work for this upgrade . i just dont know what module to use .. ive looked around and there isnt much info on the esa i would want to use .... does anyone know ? to answer brazosboaters question i get about 32- 35 mph on a nice calm day.. which was just the other day,,, on lake sonoma which altitude is about 300' a/s/l
my prop is a 13-3/4x15... hope this helps

whywhyzed

Banned

doesn't look like iboats carries them.... I found my application at:

vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/marine.htm

best price and shipping I could find

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Try here for the CDI/Rapair ESA

go2marine.com/product.do?no=90470F

KaGee

Admiral

Got my pertronix off of EBay. Got the CDI/RAPAIR module from Boatfix. Iboats had neither.