Johnson 85 hp backfire (exhaust)

tednugent

Recruit
I recently purchased a used 1978 85hp johnson outboard (with boat) I replaced plugs water pump did carberator overhaul it ran fine however on its shakedown run I noticed an acute loss of horsepower on further investigation I discovered the left 2 cylenders were not firing it was the power pack after replacing it the engine will not run it backfires horribly out of the exaust and dies if I try to give it gas it just explodes out of the exhaust and dies I am puzzled it has only 85 to 90 pounds of compression the two formally dead cylinders being the weaker two I have started it at night to see if any wires or coils are shorting out and negative.
I only cleaned the top carb I am going to go ahead and replace the needle seat and float etc to see if that is the prob. any help in this matter would be greatly apreciated the gas is fresh I drained both tanks then filled both with a fresh 50-1 mix also new fuel pump. thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 85 hp backfire (exhaust)

First, clean both carbs. If one was dirty theother one is too.

As for the backfiring, you'll probably find a couple of wires crossed.

tednugent

Recruit

Thank you for your reply. Im sorry I didnt explain myself properly. I cleaned them both but the bottom one was (shot) so I replaced the needle ,seat,float etc the top one I only cleaned I was thinking maybe the needle and seat on it had gone bad. i guess I could swap the two wires on the left side and see if they are crossed.

tednugent

Recruit

hah I switched the two left plugwires and it fired right up,couldnt believe it all I have to do is bump the key and it starts right up.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

hah I switched the two left plugwires and it fired right up,couldnt believe it all I have to do is bump the key and it starts right up.

Easy fix with a great result. WTG.