Camping / Boating GA, AL, TN ???

Anybody have good recomendations for campgrounds (tent camping) on lakes in roughly the northern Georgia, northern Alabama, and Tennessee area. Looking for places for family vacations, also for good bass fishing for myself and my son.

thanks

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Camping / Boating GA, AL, TN ???

Tims Ford in Southern TN is really nice.

Normandy is nice as well, but it is horribly low now, and doesn't have any marinas.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Might try Red Top Mountain State Park in the North Atlanta area on Lake Allatoona:

Yeah, or except for the fact that he wanted to spend the night on a LAKE, and not a mud puddle, surrounded by dry wasteland.:D

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, or except for the fact that he wanted to spend the night on a LAKE, and not a mud puddle, surrounded by dry wasteland.:D

True, now isn't a good time unless your boat is rigged for mudding, but he also didn't say when he was going. Winter, no good; spring and summer, good.

I'm kind of thinking in generic terms, looking for ideas for all seasons. Now that we've got a boat might as well find ways for the entire family to enjoy it (as opposed to just me going bass fishing on weekends - if wife has fun with the boat she'll see it in a different light when money gets spent on upgrades).

dvan, you ever stayed at Red Top? We live only about 20 miles from it but have never been there. How crowded does it get in spring and summer? May be a nice choice for when we have friends visit.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I have never stayed there, but I store my boat right at the entrance to the park; I live in Acworth, GA. I think the park is big enough that you should be able to get a spot just about any time. One thing to check though is if you can leave your boat in the water there or if they have places like that; some parks don't have it or don't allow it. You can also try Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama. I just came from there and if you stay in the lodge you can keep your boat in the water there for free. They also have camp grounds. It's about a 4 hour drive from Atlanta.

toddb3

Seaman Apprentice

I havent been this year but Lake Guntersville in Guntersville AL is pretty nice, there is a state park on the lake and there are also bass tournaments there often. Like I said I havent been this year so I dont know how low the water is. I usually go to www.alapark.com to get phone numbers and info about camping, water levels etc.

brussell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lake Guntersville has some excellent areas..you have Guntersville state park as well as Buck's Pocket...Goose Pond colony in Scottsboro is a good place on Guntersville.They have a tent area and some of the spots you can have your boat at your tent..There's a great restaurant called the Docks and even a golf course, though I don't play.

Guntersville has excellent water level year round and the lake is full now in spite of lying inside the worst hit drought area in the USA.

When the rainfall is normal Lewis Smith lake is one of the most beuatiful places on Earth..There are 2 national forests campgrouds on the NW side of the lake...Also, there you have the Bankhead national forest..In the forest you have the Sipsey Wilderness which is the best backpacking in the state IMO...Hunting is good within in Bankhead and much of the lake lies within so you can find undeveloped campsites along the shoreline.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Well if Weiss lake up in Leesburg, AL had any water in it I would say that would be a nice place to camp, it's also my favorite fishing hole. Or like my other neighbors said before me Guntersville Lake.

Shout out to all in AL by the way.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I beg to differ. He did say he was looking for something in GA, AL, or TN. This year that means mud puddle if you're lucky enough to find even that much water around here. Maybe next year there will be enough water around here to float your boat.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are no water level problems on Lake Guntersville or Wheeler Lake here in AL. That TN river helps keep them full. Guntersville is very nice as is Wheeler. And there are many golf courses near Wheeler as well.

Oh yeah. They both have very good bass fishing available.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

If all this rain keeps up that we've had over the past couple months, we shouldn't have any problems next year with water levels being too low. The fishing will suck though. Always does after a low water year. The best is a low water year after a high-water year.

At least the relaxing will be just as good. :)

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lake Russell on the Ga-SC line.. Very clean lake. Not surrounded by houses with docks. The corps has doen a good job in trying to keep development away. Several campgrounds with launches.

davis7210

Seaman Apprentice

Have you Heard of Rocky Mtn. public fishing area north of Rome? Wife, dogs and i love it!! Very nice campground with bath house if needed. Lakes are not huge,idle only, but i have caught and released some nice bass. 5 to 10 lbs good crappie and bream. Check it out you won't be sorry.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Floating Mill Park campground on Center Hill Lake, TN is nice. Its not far off I40, has a nice launch ramp, supper nice people working the entrance, tent, pop up, and rv camping on the lake, a nice playground, and centrally located on the lake. You have a nice marina a short distance away (Hurricane Marina) with a nice restaurant. You can explore the lake two different directions, with plenty of long and deep coves. Depending on when you go, you can even boat all the way to a waterfall.

If you don't want to tent camp, the cabins at Tims Ford marina are real nice and reasonable. The people and food at the marina are both great. Tim Ford, unlike Center Hill, has houses on it, though. So if you enjoy cruising around and looking at lake houses, go there. If you prefer isolated coves and trees, go to Center Hill.

JGShooter

Cadet

For the family try to find your way to Blue Ridge, GA. There is a local lake there that has everything including Walleye. Only lake in the south to have them. You can fish for Trout, Bass you name.. water is a little cold but the family will love it. Mine did, maybe we will make it back up there this summer.:)

hgmatt

Seaman

Any lakes that are apart of the TVA. Lake Nottley in Blairsville, Lake Chatuge 15 miles past Blairsville on 515 (I-75 to I-575, which turns into 515) are a couple of my favorites. Nottley is 1/2 National Forest & 1/2 developable land, so the crowds are thin. Also, the lake is up at 1774.2 ft, last year when I pulled the boat out it was at 1752.5 ft (almost 22 ft).

I can't wait to get back up there.