1974 Glastron V-179 (AQ 130C) - issues

VT_RainMan

Cadet
Hi... I'm new to the forum and boating. But, I pulled the trigger and bought a V-179 this weekend... for the grand total of $300 dollars. I have always wanted a boat but could never seem to save up for what I really wanted. But, I like fixer-upper projects and this one seemed like a gem in the rough. I'm more than excited to get her in the water this coming spring. But, I am really new to boats.

Anyway, she's relatively clean... hmmm.. well, dirty...but structurely sound. Most of the seats are intact and no cracks in them. A little tlc, some elbow grease, and some fabbing here and there is all she needs.

However the motor is the part I'm having problems with. The wiring harness was pulled out and is telling me something. I just don't know what yet. I tried to get her to start and she turns over fine but the points were toasted. I replaced those and the rotor. But, I couldn't find a condensor, cap, plug wires, and coil. So anyway, no spark to the plugs. But, while I had the key in the on position, and scratching my head, I noticed smoke coming from the cap. I pulled off the cap and the points were completely melted.

What caused that? I've never seen that happen before!!! Where should I start?

I have a clymer book coming in the mail... but, was also wondering if someone could tell me if I have an externally or internally resisted coil. If external... where is the resistor located? In the harness?

Any part #'s or crossreferences for the coil and plug wires would be greatly appreciated. Those 2 items I'm having issues finding around here.

This is a great source of information. I am sorry if these questions have been posted before. Well, any help is more than appreciated.

VT_RainMan

Cadet
Re: 1974 Glastron V-179 (AQ 130C) - issues

Well... I found a coil and I think iboats is going to supply the plug wires.

Anybody have any ideas on where to start for the melted points? I imagine it's a bad ground somewhere... or could it simply be the condensor?

Still wondering about the external resistor? Is it in the wiring harness? Do I have to peel back wiring loom to find it?

EDIT: Started a new post in the Engine issues area. Other Post

Last edited:

redfury

Commander

Hey, 300 bucks for your boat with a motor is better than I got. I've got a basket case for that much, didn't have a trailer or a motor!

The transom on my 1975 was made of plys of redwood, so if you have a relatively sound transom but the outer skin has delaminated due to moisture from the years, try drying the wood out with some acetone and then get some Clear Penetrating Epoxy and glue it back up tight.

I've been hoping to find another member with the same boat.

If/when you get it on the water, let me know what you think of the ride, how fast it comes on plane, and deals with waves. I've heard good things about the hull design for speed and planing.

What motor do you have?

VT_RainMan

Cadet

I have the Volvo-Penta AQ 130C... It's the 4cyl. with the 270 stearn drive.

Everything is in storeage for the winter. But, I hope it all comes together nicely this spring. The transom seems really solid... actually the entire hull appears to be solid. That's a good tip for drying things out. It had been sitting out in the elements for an undetermined amount of time. That was the first thing I started to do... clean and dry it out. So far the floor is rock solid. I haven't pulled the carpet all the way yet. But, the only structural issues I have found is behind the seats on either side of the engine... there is some rotting going on in that area. I'll have to evaluate it better this spring. I don't think it's crucial though??

Anyway, Looking forward to warmer weather and getting her wet for the first time. I'm optomistic... so, hopefully, I'll be able to give you some good news on her handling. ;)

redfury

Commander

I thought the inboards were V-176's ???

At any rate, the same thing with my boat and the jump seats, though I had rot pretty much everywhere under the floor.

I think the problem lies within the glastron aqualift 2 hull design. If any water gets to the outer side of the hull hump, it gets trapped and has no where to go except under those seats, and the flotation foam behind them stops the water from going anywhere else. Drainage in the hull is pretty poorly designed in that regard. I plan to foam and seal the outer edges when I replace the floor to hopefully avoid this in the future. At the very least, it'll take forever to saturate whatever foam is there.

redfury

Commander

Yup, my bad. For some reason I was stuck on 179 for my boat...it's a 178...darn glastron and their numbering system! Heh, it's too simple! I corrected my Shareaproject page too, hate to be spouting out wrong information and such!

VT_RainMan

Cadet

I didn't notice that link to your shareproject page. I actually saw your work a while ago when I was googling something. I like your trailer! I have to work on mine... its from 1971/72 and it looks like like crap.

Anyway, I'm wicked impressed. (sorry for the wicked, i'm a new englander!) :) I can't imagine cracking the shell like that.
Maybe someday?

Where are you in the project now? Is it back together?

redfury

Commander

Well, it's back together, but only because winter came and I didn't want it sitting in two pieces in the back yard and the lower part of the boat filling up with snow, then ice, then water! So, I fit the cap back on and have it covered under a huge 30' tarp that is strung over the contraption I built to lift it off.

I'm planning on getting serious work done on it this summer. I really want to get the transom done, and the stringers- bare minimum. Hopefully a floor too, that way I can really concentrate on the finish work. Big dreams...we'll see. Either way, I'll take pictures and keep this site updated as I go through the process.

The trailer....meh, it's pretty in the pictures, but the lack of a welder had me just clean it up and put it back together. It has a huge rust hole along the tandems in the frame of the trailer. It's only on one side ( where water gets held up between the support L for the axles and the actual frame. I'd have liked to weld in a new piece of steel, but I didn't have access to a welder at the time, so it went on the back burner in the vein that I wouldn't be doing much pulling with it and the boat would be coming off at some point for bottom painting and I'd take care of it then. I've got 4 bunks on it now, but I could certainly put some more into it.

My real complaint about the trailer though is the dual axles. You just can't move that thing by yourself by just grabbing it and walking it around. It's a beast. Does pull nice though, so I do like that about it.

I'm hoping that summer of next year I'll have it done and on the lake for the first time with a motor. Funds, time, and lack of a sheltered work space keep the progress at a snails pace.

h.o.rider

Recruit

Could someone tell me what the weight of a 1974 Glastron v179 with a 140HP merc would be?

Thanks in advance

VT_RainMan

Cadet

Could someone tell me what the weight of a 1974 Glastron v179 with a 140HP merc would be?

Thanks in advance

I have the Volvo motor... So, it's not going to be exact. But, it is around 1700lbs. I just found this link for more info: Boat 1974 Glastron Boats V-179 Starflite

The 178 is an outboard... is that what you have? Because the weight would be drastically less. Probably 500lbs or less.

redfury

Commander

Dry weight of the Glastron outboard is 1050 without fuel, engine or people. Depending on the actual engine used, an outboard is going to add another 4-500 lbs.

The V179 being an inboard is going to be heavier simply due to the drivetrain used being more complex and generally the motor is heavier.

VT_RainMan

Cadet

Dry weight of the Glastron outboard is 1050 without fuel, engine or people. Depending on the actual engine used, an outboard is going to add another 4-500 lbs.

The V179 being an inboard is going to be heavier simply due to the drivetrain used being more complex and generally the motor is heavier.

I'm not sure that is right... according to this: 1974 V178 Outboard The dry weight of the v178 (v179 is not outboard) with motor is 1075lbs (excluding fuel, passengers, etc.) I'm not sure which motor that came with.... But, again... the v179 was not an outboard. So, I'm not sure if h.o.rider is asking for the weight of the right model? There were several outboard models that year.

nyteez

Cadet

My husband & I have a 1973 V-179, aq130c. Does anybody have any advice on a better propeller for it (270 outdrive). The one on it is the original 3 blade and works fine...but I know it can be better! LOL!

Also, has anybody ever replaced the gas tank in one of these things? We are thinking about it, but don't want to open up a can of worms and waste 1/2 the summer dealing with it.

We also have the ugly trailer from 1972. My husband bought a couple of cans of 98 cent black spray paint and the trailer actually looks decent! LOL! He used a piece of cardboard to prevent over spray from getting on the boat and painted the trailer with the boat on it in about 30 mins. What an amazing difference and a cheap fix!

VT_RainMan

Cadet

My husband & I have a 1973 V-179, aq130c. Does anybody have any advice on a better propeller for it (270 outdrive). The one on it is the original 3 blade and works fine...but I know it can be better! LOL!

Good question... that'll be interesting to know.

Also, has anybody ever replaced the gas tank in one of these things? We are thinking about it, but don't want to open up a can of worms and waste 1/2 the summer dealing with it.

That sounds like a can of worms to me. Its trapped under the bow isn't it?

We also have the ugly trailer from 1972. My husband bought a couple of cans of 98 cent black spray paint and the trailer actually looks decent! LOL! He used a piece of cardboard to prevent over spray from getting on the boat and painted the trailer with the boat on it in about 30 mins. What an amazing difference and a cheap fix!

I have a little more work than this to do on mine. The ubolts that connect to the leafsprings have rotted out. I'm sure the wheel barings need to be replaced... at the least repacked. The tail lights are cracked (not a big deal). And lastly, the hitch is crap and needs to be replaced. (too bad it is welded on!!!). Argghhhh! :)

But after all that... some rattle paint will spruce it up. :)

I'm glad i'm not alone with this boat. That's cool you have the same boat. Well, close enough! :)

nyteez

Cadet

It is a cool boat! With all the fancy new boats out there, we actually get a lot of compliments on this thing. It has the original gold colors and upholstery! And on top of that we tow it with my old 77 gold & brown chevy that we go 4 wheeling in and so it looks like some redneck vehicle. LOL! My husband wanted to get a new boat, but now that this one is running he loves it and wants to fix it up more (new seats, gastank, stereo, etc)

redfury

Commander

If you have the same 18 gallon tank under the deck as I do, it's not all that difficult to pull if it's empty. You need to take the plastic cover in the middle off and then there should be two bolts holding the tank from sliding back. Remove those, the electrical connections, and if you can, the vent tube and filler tubes ( both rubber, may take a little work to get them loose ). If you find yourselves having difficulty with that, pull the drivers side deck seat off and remove the hoses up there and cut the plastic zip ties holding them to the hull.

It'll probably be a little difficult to slide forward if there is any fuel in it, and I'm sure some water has gotten trapped between the bottom of the tank and the floor which will have caused it to create a "bond" with the floor. Just work it loose. Literally those two bolts in the front are all that is holding that tank in place, so if you have the hoses off and the wiring disconnected for the fuel gauge, it's just being stubborn. Give it a little muscle and it should slide right out.

If it's in good shape, then there's no point in replacing it, but if you find it's rusted on the crimped seams, you might as well shop for a new tank. You can find a replacement plastic tank for under $100 - at least I found one a couple of years ago. Just measure up the old tank and compare to what they have available from the online boat retailers ( even iboats ).

As far as the prop is concerned, if you like the performance of the boat, you could get better by switching to a stainless prop of the same configuration. It'll flex less and give you more "oomph" and top end but be careful, if you boat in rocky areas, hitting something solid is going to send the force through the prop and into the lower unit instead of the prop taking the brunt of the damage...really the biggest disadvantage to the stainless props besides cost.

The classic glastron site used to have a great list of owners with different boats and it listed their engines, prop sizes and performance numbers so a person could compare and make a better decision, but it's no longer there...at least the last time I looked it was gone :(

BTW, don't expect that black paint to last all that long, spray can paint is pretty soft and you don't get much coverage/thickness. My nice white and red trailer is already showing rust in the white areas where it was pitted 2 years later.

nyteez

Cadet

Thanks! Yep, that's the exact tank we have. My husband had it out of the hole a little, to try & see back in there, so luckily it's not stuck. This is a lake boat only now, and there are no rocks to hit where we take it, so I think the stainless prop might be good. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info. I went to the classic glastron site thinking those guy would know about a prop, and got nothing from them. LOL!

catfishking

Recruit

Hi... I'm new to the forum and boating. But, I pulled the trigger and bought a V-179 this weekend... for the grand total of $300 dollars. I have always wanted a boat but could never seem to save up for what I really wanted. But, I like fixer-upper projects and this one seemed like a gem in the rough. I'm more than excited to get her in the water this coming spring. But, I am really new to boats.

Anyway, she's relatively clean... hmmm.. well, dirty...but structurely sound. Most of the seats are intact and no cracks in them. A little tlc, some elbow grease, and some fabbing here and there is all she needs.

However the motor is the part I'm having problems with. The wiring harness was pulled out and is telling me something. I just don't know what yet. I tried to get her to start and she turns over fine but the points were toasted. I replaced those and the rotor. But, I couldn't find a condensor, cap, plug wires, and coil. So anyway, no spark to the plugs. But, while I had the key in the on position, and scratching my head, I noticed smoke coming from the cap. I pulled off the cap and the points were completely melted.

What caused that? I've never seen that happen before!!! Where should I start?

I have a clymer book coming in the mail... but, was also wondering if someone could tell me if I have an externally or internally resisted coil. If external... where is the resistor located? In the harness?

Any part #'s or crossreferences for the coil and plug wires would be greatly appreciated. Those 2 items I'm having issues finding around here.

This is a great source of information. I am sorry if these questions have been posted before. Well, any help is more than appreciated.
do you have any idea how to hook up the kill switch? i bought a 73 v 179 and i guess the guy i bought it from desided to un hook it. i dont know what to hook it back to. do you have any idea?? if so email me its catfishking64@yahoo.com

nyteez

Cadet

Kill Switch = turn key off. Our 73 v-179 never had a kill switch. Could this be something somebody added (or tried to add) to your boat?