which gear oil?

wdevlin

Recruit
Changing the gear oil in a '02 utopia gear case and stator. Owners manual says to use either Merc precision or Quicksilver hi performance oil. Happen to have on hand Quicksilver premium oil who's jar says not to mix premium with hi performance.
What is the downside of mixing Hi performance or merc precision with Quicksilver Premium ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: which gear oil?

HiPerf is synthetic, Prem. is mineral.

What engine and drive do you have, no idea what '02 utopia gear case and stator means.

wdevlin

Recruit

Thanks for reply , Don. It is a 2002 See Doo utopia 18 foot jet boat with mercruiser 210 hp jet drive. Changing oil in gear drive housing and in the stator. Stator is the impeller housing, sort of.

added: just noticed boat does not say 'mercruiser' it is Merc optimax v6 jetdrive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Merc & Mariner OUTBOARD forum.

wdevlin

Recruit

correction to my above post; Not a mercruiser. It is a merc optimax v6 jet drive

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

So here we go again. I too read the Merc caution about mixing.....love it when OEM's tell you to not do something and insult your intelligence in the process by not explaining why......so that you can make your own decisions if the reasons for their warning applies to you and your situation or not.

All synthetic oils (whose containers I have read) for OTR vehicles in crankcase or final drives indicate that they are compatible with mineral oils.....so why should Merc be different?

Same problem I have with Merc on their 2 cycle engine oil; Merc "super premium" to be exact. Nowhere on the container does it indicate synthetic, but sitting right next to it on the WW shelf is Pennzoil "super premium" synthetic. Since Merc is in the engine business and Pennzoil in the lube business, what do you suppose is in the Merc "super premium" container?

On the gearbox oil for your Merc, my engine requires it, per the service manual. So I don't really have a choice.

Mark