Overpowering a boat (slightly)

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi,
I am currently looking to upgarde the motor on my 1973 Glastron V156. I currently have a 1988 60hp Johnson on it. According to the literature online it is rated for 85hp. I've found some really good 90 and 100hp motors, worth the $ what would you do? I no it isn't right but I'm not sure it'll hurt anything.
Thanks,
Brian

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Overpowering a boat (slightly)

I see "over powered" boats all the time, not that I recommend it. Probably won't hurt much except for possible insurance claim rejections, personal liability and perhaps a zealous water patrol officer. What does the manufacturer's plate on the boat say?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'd be comfortable with just about any 4-cyl - probably wouldn't want to go up to a V6.........

guy74

It's old enough that it doesn't have a capacity plate. It would take some checking to know that it was over-powered.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Insurance will deny your claim if one arrises. Thus overpower at your own risk.

Willyclay

Captain

There is also an issue to consider about "old & new" horsepower. Since about 1985, outboard motors have been rated at the prop shaft with fairly tight tolerances between their ratings and actual horsepower. Prior to that, outboards were rated at the crankshaft or whatever the marketing departments thought would sell best in a particular year. My 1970 Glastron V-153 was "rated" for 90HP maximum. I ran a 1962 Johnson 75HP V4 on it and it was more than enough. Be careful with the weight limits also!

guy74

I appeciate your time and wisdom. The weight isn't an issue because all the V-4 J/E engine weigh basically the same. I wish I could find an 85hp motor that was a bargin but they seem to be scarce.
Thanks to all,
Brian

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Willy and was going to post it but he beat me to it. About 15% difference with today's prop rating. So, theoretically, you can put an 85 hp engine of today on it and meet the spec, unless the lawyer for the planiff knows about engine ratings and nails you, or your insurance co. spots it, for being over powered due to the difference in engine hp rating methods today, vs when the boat was built.

So 85 hp should be about 72 hp by today's standards.

Sorry, but if you have anything to loose, tain't worth the liability.

Mark

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Insurance will deny your claim if one arrises. Thus overpower at your own risk.
So, how does the insurance company know if you are overpowered, is there a questionaire that asks that question when you file a claim?
guy74
I am a fan of following safety rules but the ratings are for the most part very conservative and a little over the rating power may be just fine. Chief Chief

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Guy - my opinion on this matter.

You have three issues: Safety, law enforcement, insurance

Safety - if it's rated for 85, like others have said, that's more like a 70-75 in today's HP. 90 might actually be a safety factor. I think 110 could be a large safety factor.

you say that it doesn't have a capacity plate? This would lead me to think that you wouldn't have any problem with law enforcement, because on the water it's unlikely they'd know if it was overpowered (with a 90 anyway).

Insurance - I would be totally up front with the insurance company, within reason. I'd call them and tell them you have a boat (give make and model) without a capacity plate and ask if they'll insure it with a 90 hp on it. If they say yes, get it in writing either in a letter or on your policy.

All that said, if you currently have a 60 on it and are pretty happy with that, I would think that if you found anything between a 70 and an 85 you'd be very happy plus not have anything to worry about. In my experience around where I live, good used engines in that range are pretty common and affordable.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Don't think for a second that the guy who sues you won't find the capacity rating for your boat. If there is a substantial amount of money involved, so will your insurance company.

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I thought the HP rating was only a suggestion. I have been told u can run whatever u want? Weight can be a big issue, but hp? depends on what's in your sack :):) 2 Large here

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Many states have passed laws related to this.

Some will write tickets and/or physically remove the craft from the water.

The issue is/was twofold

1. ripping the engine loose/off the transom and sinking the craft, possibly drowning the operator, etc.

2. increased weight lowering freeboard, taking a wave, sinking the craft, etc.

I just returned from pulling a submerged from a private lake, rated for a 85 but has a saltwater 90. Only 3 inches freeboard in the rear, or USED TO BE. Bilge pump couldn't keep up with the weather, I make lots of money.

DO IT!

NOT!!!!!!!!!

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

The speedliner is rated for 165 the 200 has been on for approx 7 years 2 diffrent owners before I bought. she sets nice in the water Approx 6" I run a bilge on each sponson the laws in ok are stated as total wt. At least as i understand. with boat motor equip. I'm still about 300# under loaded to the gills. Previous owner was removed from Lake. I hope I dont have any trouble with the law :cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have seen many Glastron of that vintage that were overpowered with transoms about to fall off. i went to North Carolina to pick up a motor, it was on a glastron. they guy said i had to take the boat also. good trailer so it took it. drove 5 miles and removed the motor, so it would not be all over the interstate.

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stringers and transom are on schedule to be replaced about 1 month I hope to make the boat like new by spring. I just put in the water yesterday. didnt run over 40 to be safe. transom feels solid stringers a little soft in a couple spots. is there any place I can find the weight of a 165 to compare to the 200 ( Johnson )

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

nadaguides.com has weights

guy74

This one has a very solid transom. When I replaced the floor and stringers I also tied the transome, which was still perfectly solid, sealed,and dry, into the slashwell bottom and into the stringers all the way to the front of the spashwell. Strength of the transom really isn't an issue, neither is the weight of any V4 Johnyrude because thats what this boat originally had on it. Actually it is too light in the rear with the 3 cylinder it has right now, rides high in the rear. If I can sit on top of the motor and still not get any water to come into the spashwell, BTW I weigh more than a V4 motor. I feel the safty issues are not issues in this case. But I wouldn't go crazy, like the 150hp Evinrude I saw on the back of a GX 150 Glastron the other day (it's rated for 90hp). I realize there are limits to everything.

guy74

Thankyou to everyone who responded. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but I appreciate everyone's time and concern. I'm sure that I want a V4 and I want one that is newer than 1986 so my choices are slim. Guess I'm too picky.
Thanks again,
Brian