'55 Evinrude 25hp, simple questions

crocket15

Cadet
I have my 25 hp evinrude on a little 14ft aluminum fishing boat, it's a manually steered engine or however it is called, and even though the engine sits right in the middle of my transom, it pulls to one side when it gets going. Might it be my boat? or will a centemeter or less throw off the balance of power? I also am less knowledgable about old motors, and i don;t know how much water should be spitting out my exhaust, i assume it should be a decent amount but again, i don't know. Also, is there a specific lube to use for my throttle, it's a bit sticky, and i'm really not sure if i need to take any of it apart of what. one last thing, i cleaned out the original pressurized gas tank and put a custom made gasket back in, the gasket was made out of a somewhat paper-like material for making gaskets, but bubbles leak out slowly as it presurizes, and gas leaks out of the primer pump when it is pumped. any suggestions or alternatives besides buying a gasket kit?
Thanks a ton for your answers!

one more thing, what is the difference in shades between milky lower unit lube and the tan to greay lube. i'm not sure if i'm getting water, any picture you can direct me to would be apreciated.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: '55 Evinrude 25hp, simple questions

The motor must be alligned vertically from the center of the transom top to the exact center of the bottom for best results. The position of the top center should be measured from the sides of the boat.

Agitated gear oil with water in it appears creamy. Otherwise the oil should be clear regardless of color.

If the oil appears black and/or smells as though burned, it is worn out and should be replaced immediately.

Once the motor has remained unused for a time, water will settle to the bottom and drain first when the bottom plug is removed. It is at this time that the water can freeze and damage the gearcase.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The rebuild kits for the pressure tanks are quite cheap... under $30 I believe... and if your LU oil is creamy - change it!

The manual steering engines are called tiller engines.

A good amount of water should be coming out the exhaust. Feel the head/block when at operating temp. It should be touchable for many seconds. If not, it's running hot. If you do not know the history of the impeller, change it to be safe. And maybe even the water pump housing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are two types of primer pumps, one has a metal button, and the other has a plastic button. Yours will be metal if it is the original tank.

Assuming the metal button:
Water tends to run down the push button shaft, and then corrodes the end of the shaft. The end of the shaft has to be square, not corroded away, or it will leak. Same problem attacks the metal diaphragm support. Also, when replacing the diaphragm, flatten the center of the supports. A dab of fuel proof sealer on the assembly helps too. But don't goop up the area between diaphragm and supports, just the push rod to support area.

You will see what I am talking about when you get it apart.