Worth having a boat hook?

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I only have a 16.6 footer, but sometimes have to dock in very windy conditons.<br /><br />Galyen's has a cool, telescoping aluminum boat hook for $25. It would fit in the rod storage compartment with no problem.<br /><br />What are some good uses for a boat hook and is it a good tool to have, or a waste of money that could be better wasted elswhere?<br /><br />Thanks

magster65

Commander
Re: Worth having a boat hook?

I use mine for docking too and it's handy for hooking things out of the water like traps or whatever...

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

Any boat should have one...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Marty.<br /><br />On many Texas lakes that I visit a paddle is required by law. I have a telescoping paddle with a boat hook at the end of the handle. I think I paid about $16 for it. <br /><br />Very handy for docking or maneuvering where you can't use your engine or troller.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

martyscher:<br /><br />Cool alone should make you buy it! HA HA...<br /><br />But for real, Indispensable... Let me count the times I have used my hook for docking, retriving things etc such as my hat when its blown off my head.. HA HA.... Go for IT!!!<br /><br />Tallman

For all the money we spend on toys for our boats some of the most usefull are the cheapest. You will not regret having a boat hook. :D

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kinda like I've spent thousands of dollars renovating the 100 year old house we live in. Best $7 I ever spent was for a pry bar/nail puller to remove molding without destroying it.

sloopy

Commander

I have the davis boat hook and I use it all the time.

JAZZedBW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 17 whaler, haven't used a boat hook on it at all. On the big boat, we have 2. <br /><br />JAZZ ;)

D.Newton

Recruit

I would have to agree with the last post, it really depends on the size of your boat. You would probably want one (or two) on larger vessels.<br /><br />If you are interested, I own a web site that sells telescoping boat poles that you can attach boat hooks, mops, drying tools and deck brushes etc.<br /><br />Without getting in big trouble in here, I will not post the URL, however if you are interested you can email me and I will direct you to my site.<br /><br />Hey guys, what can I say, I couldn't pass it up, it was a free plug. ;)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I've only had a boat hook for the last two years and don't see how I got by without it before. Fending off with something besides your hands, grabbing stuff out of the water [both from the boat and the wharf], knocking down wasp nests, you name it...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Martyscher<br />I actualy have three but one broke. I have a 8 foot one and a 12 foot one. I like the 12 foot 3 section one best. My boat is 21 foot closed bow. Use it 50 percent of the time for docking but ready for use 100 percent of the time. Also use for grabbing anchore buoy when catch a big sturgeon and drop buoy to follow the fish. Some times use it for a push pole if in shallow water. One one more thing on real windy days use boat hook from dock float to help guide stern of boat while crank from bow.