how long can I run my engine out of the water?

Logan

Seaman Apprentice
Although I already know the answer to this (i.e. not at all) a friend of mine was told that he could run his new volvo out of the water while winterizing. I recall a thread here that said that within a few seconds (15sec?) the impeller would be toast but I cant find the thread to send him. Could anyone direct me to the thread?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: how long can I run my engine out of the water?

Your friend is wrong. You can run it out of the water indefinitely if you use "Muffs" on the end of a hose. Volvo Manual says "never" without. Same story for Mercs and OBs (Except Air cooled Briggs . . .)

Logan

Seaman Apprentice

he meant out of water no muffs at all.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

he meant out of water no muffs at all.
Only if he likes to replace expensive parts at about 16 seconds..impellar, the rubber exhaust boots, just for starts (pun intended)

Logan

Seaman Apprentice

do you recall a previous post that had pictures of an impeller ran at 5 sec/ 10sec and 15 seconds without water?

I know I read a thread to that effect but I cant find it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You really don't have to try to convince your friend that he shouldn't run it without water flowing in the raw water circuit.

Just tell him to tell his dealer what he's doing when he takes it to them for "warranty" service when the sea water pump fails and he overheats the engine and exhaust system...... THEY'LL FIX HIM RIGHT UP!!

Cheers,

Rick

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you recall a previous post that had pictures of an impeller ran at 5 sec/ 10sec and 15 seconds without water?

Not the same one...but, here's an example of what happens when you run without muffs, or at least run where the two of you working think the other guy turned on the water.

Don't try this at home. $70 later and 3-5 hours of frustrating wrangling with your lower unit and you won't do this again.

Gene

Attachments

• SeaWater Pump-Burnt.JPG
    SeaWater Pump-Burnt.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 0

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It was a Don S post & I'm not sure it made it with his move....;)
Why don't you show him this post to convince him that: you don't run your engine without a water supply.....;)

I think half of the Seloc manual is wasted on that phrase.....:D

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why is there always someone who believes his engine/drive/impeller is indestructible :rolleyes:

I'm in the wrong line.....the world is made for boat techs....:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

"Engines with a belt driven seawater pump should have a garden hose attached directly to the inlet side of the pump."

Had not seen that before . . . :eek: