draining water from engine for winter

Rodster44

Seaman
Hi
I searched this topic but did not find what I wanted so I will ask. I have a 1999 Johnson 150 HP Oceanpro. I want to know what has to be done to make sure I don't have a freeze problem in my motor. I was told to take out the tell tale hole fitting and pour in some ant freeze. I was also told to rotate the engine a few times to get all the water out of the water pump and to leave the motor in the down position. I am not doing anything to the fuel system as it will be going to the Keys in December so freezing is my concern. Any feedback will be welcome
Thanks in advance
Rod

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: draining water from engine for winter

Outboards don't hold much if any water in them when trimmed all the way down, it all draines out. Drain and refill your lower unit to make sure you have no moisture in it and you are good.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Lube dude is correct - they self drain, no anti freeze is needed (it would drain out too!).
There is a winterization faq you might want to check.

I fill the tanks with fresh stabilized fuel, fog the engine, change l/u oil, take the battery inside, etc. but my winter lay-up is over 5 months. If it were just a couple of months, I'd just keep it in upright position.

Rodster44

Seaman

Thanks for the information guys.
Rod

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Those guys just about sum it up. Follow what they said and you will be O.K.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

one thing i do a few times a season is to check and see if the drain holes are actually clear and able to drain properly. a tool that i will use is the "can of air" normally used to clean a keyboard ect.