Trailer Lights Always Go Out

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just put all new lights on my trailer, and I have the same problem I had with the old wiring/light setup. As soon as I dip it into the water a bulb pops. They are submersible lights. I guess cause they are on pretty much the whole way down the ramp so they get hot, and then you dip them in water. Anyone else have this problem? The easy answer is to unplug before backing down the ramp, but I know I will forget to plug them back in.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Lights Always Go Out

I had the same problem a time or two over the years, you gotta unplug em

put a note on your steering wheel it works for me. Or go to a totaly sealed light essembly or led they are expensive but I still say unplug em.;)

rndn

Commander

As mentioned above, unplug the lights. It's important to place a note on the steering wheel to remember to unplug them and then plug them back in before you head home.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unplug the harness for regular filament style lights.. You could use LED lights which don't get as hot but are a little more expesnive (I'm not going to experiment with not unplugging them to verify the subersible claim either)

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have sealed lights and I still unplug them.

I leave the adapter on my front seat so it reminds me to plug it back in.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

My lights are mounted on a light bar that goes across the stern of the boat. Sure, it's a bit of a pain, but I NEVER have light problems, and the lights are right up at eye level.:p

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i solved my problem on all my trailers,

MVC-740S.jpg

MVC-905S.jpg

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

maybe he dosent need one, in SC there is no license plate needed on a boat trialer or small utility trailers!

-Nate

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they really don't hassle us in Fla for the lighted plate. just running lights.

woosterken

Lieutenant

HOW IN THE HE** CAN YOU FORGET TO PLUG THEM BACK IN?????

don't you do a pre trip check to see that your lites work?
if you get PLOWED in the butt you will be screaming bloody murder at the hitter!because you are to LAZY to check your lites.

sorry for the rant
woosterken

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pre trip check....whats that?

if i forget to do it, i wouldnt call it lazyness. i have a routine, and unplugging and replugging lights isnt part of it yet, so i imagine that there might be some getting used to doing it. and thats what i was asking.....if unplugging was something i needed to add to my routine. now i know.

woosterken

Lieutenant

PRE TRIP, before you get ready to leave the tie down area.if you are by your self.
1)turn your lites on walk to back of boat look at lites

2) walk back to tow put on four way flashers walk back to see if they are both flashing.

TAKES A FEW MINUTES TO CHECK,TAKES A LIFE TIME TO FORGET SOME ONE GETTING HURT BECAUSE YOUR IN A HURRY.
woosterken

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pre trip check....whats that?

You'll develop your own as you get more into boating and traveling around. Things like tire pressure, running lights.. stowed gear, boat tie downs, ect. It all comes with lots of practice and advice.

if unplugging was something i needed to add to my routine. now i know.

Remember that there is no silly question.

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PRE TRIP, before you get ready to leave the tie down area.if you are by your self.
1)turn your lites on walk to back of boat look at lites

2) walk back to tow put on four way flashers walk back to see if they are both flashing.

TAKES A FEW MINUTES TO CHECK,TAKES A LIFE TIME TO FORGET SOME ONE GETTING HURT BECAUSE YOUR IN A HURRY.
woosterken

umm......i was being sarcastic since you called me lazy.

crabby_bob

Seaman

How about LEDs? I installed a set last year and so far so good. Before that I was constantly replacing bulbs. The bulb is cheap but having to replace it and unplug and then reconnect the lights was a pain in the butt. The $60 was money well spent.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

How about LEDs? I installed a set last year and so far so good. Before that I was constantly replacing bulbs. The bulb is cheap but having to replace it and unplug and then reconnect the lights was a pain in the butt. The $60 was money well spent.

I got two 1156 and two 1157's shipped for $20, from besthongkong.com, 19 led's each, very bright.
Got 'em 4 days after order.

I filled the sockets with clear grease and plugged 'em in, water has no effect, on or off.

crabby_bob

Seaman

I got two 1156 and two 1157's shipped for $20, from besthongkong.com, 19 led's each, very bright.
Got 'em 4 days after order.

I filled the sockets with clear grease and plugged 'em in, water has no effect, on or off.

Wow!