Mercruiser 2.5L TeaPot?

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,
Just a real quick question, I am pretty sure that I have my answer but I wanted to check here first. I have a 1982 Merc. 120 (2.5L) with a Pre-Alha outdrive, and when coming to a slowdown after running with skiiers and tubers the motor sound like a teapot coming to a boil. It is like it is popping off steam, although I can see none, I hear it coming from around the carb/exhaust manifold area if I let it idle for about a minute it continuously goes UP in pitch, like something is being squeezed shut until it eventually goes away, until I bring it back up to speed and slow back down. It is ONLY when I slow back down and the engine revs down to idle speed. What is this? Any ideas?
Ryan :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 2.5L TeaPot?

Probably air in the cooling system. Have you changed the raw water pump impeller?

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably air in the cooling system. Have you changed the raw water pump impeller?

Nope but I plan on it seeing as how I had shift problems and took the drive off to discover some moron had welded the intermediate shift lever on with a brass bushing and what appears to be solder! What idiots!!!! But I would think that since I have the drive off for that, I would go ahead and replace the outdrive water pump. Should I look at anything else while I am down there? The shift cable seems to be pretty darn good actually!!! I am going to redo the exhaust/u-joint bellows as well. Other than that I really didnt see anything else of too major of a concern. Let me know if I should be looking anywhere else?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Always check the gimbal bearing and u-joints whenever the drive is off.

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

The gimbal bearing spins nice and free with no slop, and the u-joints seem to be in FANTASTIC shape! VERY surprising for a 1982 boat! I was told today that if you replace the u-joint bellows that it puts undue stress on the shift cable and that is cause for replacement. Is this an acurate statement?

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

I can't see why it would put any stress on the shift cable (assuming they are doing the work correctly!). But as you have the drive off, I would suggest changing the bellow on the shift cable, it's probably as old or older than the drive shaft bellow so it would be wise to change it whilst you are in there..

Gary

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Gotta agree with Gary here, how would a new ujoint bellows put ANY stress on the shift cable bellows?

And, yes you should replace all three bellows at the same time.

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the previous owner put a BRAND NEW bellows on the shift cable at the beginning of this season! So that is all taken care of! Thanks for the response though!