My Boat was 1/3 full of water....

CrowdedHouse

Cadet
I had engine troubles about two months ago, took it to my local marine mechanic that has been servicing my boat for about the past three years. Honest work at a fair price...He had to take it out for a "sea trial" to see how it ran..everything was good....

I trailered it to my storage facility and disconnected the battery, I didn't want the battery to drain because I probably wouldn't use the boat for awhile...Today I went to pick up my boat and bring it home to put in a new VHF radio..As soon as I opened up the cover I saw about three to four inches of mucky water in boat...the bottom half of the motor was submerged...I'm thinking, what the hell....Then I was thinking...how could I leave a plug in, I haven't been out since I had it fixed..then it dawned on my, my mechanic left it in by accident...sure enough...I looked...and it was in the boat...after I took it out it drained for over an hour....I'm sure the gas tank was surrounded by water, the bottom half of the engine, and whatever wiring that is back there....I left him three long frustrated messages and told him I have his plug...I dropped of my boat in his yard and I'm sure I'll hear from him tomorrow...How bad does this effect my boat? Drain the gas tank, and the oil in the engine, and let everything dry out? or could it be worse than that? Even if I had my bilge pump hooked up, the battery would've drained out sooner or later..I'll let you know what he says? He could say, I took it out since he fixed it and I left the plug in...I would appreciate any advice...thanks....

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: My Boat was 1/3 full of water....

Ya took the time to disconnect the battery, but didn't check to see if the plug was in?......
That is your problem, not his, IMO...
Oh, & if it is salt water=not good...:(

ziggy

Admiral

hum, i read it as the mech put the plug in. which way is it?

if he did. i'd loose my mind....wood rot, let alone the metal parts that were submerged, let alone the moister that got into everything..........

if i leave my boat with anyone. i would expect it to be left bow high plug out, and batt. disconnected or not as it don't matter water wise, plug is out and it's bow high..........

Last edited:

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did that much water get in there just from a sea trial? If so ,that would be my main concern.
If it got in there from sitting in storage, I'd be talking to the tech and then be looking for a different way to cover my boat.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

He trailered it to his storage facility......
It is his responsibility to make sure the plug is out....IMHO...;)

My boat cover got full of rain water while stored in my yard, caved in...had several inches of water in the cuddy after a few weeks of rain. I'm sure the fuel tank was submerged. I drained the water out, flushed the bottom of the boat out with clean, fresh water, and put a dehumidifier in the cuddy. Everything was fine, never had any problems. I don't think this should affect your fuel tank...if it holds fuel, it should keep water out, shouldn't it? My engine was fine, still had good dry oil inside the engine. No electrical problems or anything. It had to be fresh water inside your boat, I doubt your mechanic would park it full of sea water. Your boat is probably OK, just need to protect from corrosion around battery terminals and engine.

a70eliminator

Captain

The boat I just bought had a soft spot in the deck, I had to cut a section out to fix it which revealed the fuel tank, I noticed there was a water line about half way up the tank, so this boat at some time in it's life had sat with the plug in and filled up with rain water too, did it do any serious damage? I doubt it, the bilge and tank compartments are sealed up pretty good the only places water could have penetrated through would be where the screws attach the seat bases and thats it, the rest is all galssed over. Place a fan to help dry it out quicker, once it dries out you'll never know the difference.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

In answer to your questions, crowded, if the water was no more than ? way up the engine you're probably ok. What's the level on the dipstick?

If high, could be water in the bottom, will come out first from drain if motor wasn't run since. It would be a good idea to drain the oil to see.

Put a small fan in there to dry it out, leave the engine cover off in the sun for a day if possible.

Gas tank shouldn't have any water in, only openings are filler & vent, plus line to filter/fuel pump.

Edit: oops, I see some things were answered in last 2 posts.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The gas tank should be sealed up to the gas fill, so there shouldn't be water in the tank.

The engine would inject water if the level got up to the breather or dipstick tube(above the oil pan). Easiest is to pull the stick and look for the water. If no signs, run it at idle for a few minutes and check for water again. It is likely you are OK.

It was rain water, right?

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll probably be looking at buying a starter soon.

Maclin

Admiral

If you are asking advice on whether or not to pursue some sort of claim against the mechanic this would be my opinion:

It was your resposibility to store the boat properly.

Let's say 1.) He took his plug out 2.) Because he said it ran like a champ then you decided to take it for a spin around the lake first before you stored it and you sunk it because of no plug..... would you then blame him for not keeping the plug in?

Plug in plug out = owner's responsibility.

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had water in my engine oil once. When I checked the dipstick it just looked a quart high. But could not get engine to turn over. Did a lot of things including replacing starter before I pumped the oil out. Even though reading only a quart high about 8 quarts came out. If there's any doubt about water in oil change it before you try to start engine?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok well ( coming from the law school student) the mechanic while in the possession of your boat he had a possesory interest in your boat. The law handles property uniquely. If in his possession or by his possessing it:
a. he diminshed the value or quality of the item
b. he intermedled with your use of it
c. he exercised domain over it
d. or he caused you bodily harm while doing so.
Also if doing this he refuses to return it or delays returning it to you then he is guilty of conversion.
SO what this means for you is he is responsible for all damage you can attach him to causing. As to the drain plug you could argue that he ignored a subsantial risk that reasonable person would have seen which would make him negligent and you would defintly have a claim against him for any damages.
Bottom line asses the damage then asses them to the proper party and be made whole.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Hogwash, bottom line, unless the mechanic also stored it, he ain't responsible.....
Once the owner takes posession & takes it to his storage, he is responsibe for the plug & proper storage.......
If he had it in dry storage, not an issue.....:rolleyes:

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to say but its your own fault.. not there`s..

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

Whoa, easy on the new guy, To answer your question dry everything out change the fluids just to be sure and you should be OK. As for water getting into the wood of the transom, stringers and floor, that may be a different matter. I would get the boat in somewhere heated and dry. If you cannot get heated a good carport would work as air circulation is great. I would also think about installing waterproof inspection plates in the floor under the seats or something like that so you can check for moisture and blow heated dry air into the hull cavities. Make sure you know how far off the hull the floor is so you do not cut a hole in the hull.
What kind of boat do you have? That would help with some of your concerns.
If you just cover the boat for the winter you run the risk of creating a moisture trap that is a perfect place for rot and mold.

CrowdedHouse

Cadet

Here's an update...talked to my mechanic and he's putting a gimble bearing in, and a rebuilt starter and checking everything out...It may have been my responsibility to check the plug. But I think that rule kinda stinks....for all the guys that came down hard, imagine if this happened to you? anyhow, what was interesting is, my mechanic said this happened to him four other times and when there were claims against him, he won the trial on all four......you'd think he would engrave "check to make sure the customers plug is out" on his dash of his truck...He took the blame on this one and knew I wouldn't try to "screw him over"..He stressed that he wanted to continue to have me as his customer...There's certain boaters rules everyone should know...Put the plug in before you get in the water, take it out when you get out , and check that it's not in when storing it, trim up before you put the boat on the trailer etc..is there more "rules" you guys could tell me so I know what to do and not to do? thanks for all your advice!!!

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It may have been my responsibility to check the plug. But I think that rule kinda stinks....

you'd think he would engrave "check to make sure the customers plug is out" on his dash of his truck...

There's certain boaters rules everyone should know...

Is there more "rules" you guys could tell me so I know what to do and not to do? thanks for all your advice!!!

Say you had a car repaired instead of a boat and the shop left your windows down 3" or 4" and you drove your car home. Say you neglect to roll up your windows and you have the mother of all thundersornms roll thru while your fast asleep. You go to your car ready for your morning drive to work and find out after you've sat down that you should have rolled up the window. Mechanics fault? Nah.... I think the plug falls into the same catagory. He is only responsible for YOUR boat while it's in his possession barring any other unforseen issues.

Theres a lot about boats that boat owners should know. Unfortunatly $$ is the key motivator for this knowledge and in most cases one of a new boaters first lessons.

Perhaps if YOU put a sign on your Dash, Drive Up, Plug OUT you would develope a good habit.

Happy Boating dude..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat topics and questions (Not engine topics)

rainman5

Seaman Apprentice

ok well ( coming from the law school student) the mechanic while in the possession of your boat he had a possesory interest in your boat. The law handles property uniquely. If in his possession or by his possessing it:
a. he diminshed the value or quality of the item
b. he intermedled with your use of it
c. he exercised domain over it
d. or he caused you bodily harm while doing so.
Also if doing this he refuses to return it or delays returning it to you then he is guilty of conversion.
SO what this means for you is he is responsible for all damage you can attach him to causing. As to the drain plug you could argue that he ignored a subsantial risk that reasonable person would have seen which would make him negligent and you would defintly have a claim against him for any damages.
Bottom line asses the damage then asses them to the proper party and be made whole.

Oh no sounds like we may have one of the type lawyers we hear on TV commercials here. WE WILL GET YOU WHAT YOU DESERVE