Merchant Marine

I'm looking for any helpful information on how a landlocked former sailor can get qualified as an able seaman in the Merchant Marine. Just wondering the easiest way to going about getting started, costs, and finding contacts and their locations to begin the process of becoming certified. I have two years experience as a deckhand in the Coast Guard aboard a polar class icebreaker. I've sailed to both poles via the Pacific/Antarctic/Arctic Oceans and the Bering Sea/Gulf of Alaska and am aiming to work more as an able seaman on the high seas.

EastEnder

Cadet
Re: Merchant Marine

welcome! I'm a merchant mariner myself....i think i can give you more direction than that website........

The best and easiest way to get your MMD is to have someone else pay for it...its a lot of $$$ other wise. I would also think that the USCG would give u equivalent sea time so you could get a MMD....but that also depends on how recently it has been.

Another way would be to join the seafarers union....you can go through their program and get all the courses you need.....once your done you have a decent choice in where and when you work. Some folks are very anti-union which is fine...this is just anither option.

Do you want to go deep sea? When were u last at sea? I'll see if I can direct you better with the more info you give me.

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a big demand for all positions on oilfield service vessels in the gulf right now. Search the internet for the names of companies and call or e-mail thier human resource departments. They will tell you what is required or where you can take your certification courses.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I was discharged in 2001 with my last sea service time through the end of 2000. Its been a while but I still have my sea legs.. and sea stomach as well. Deep sea is what I'm yearning for now. I wanna get out a bit been stifled in this tiny town of Salisbury for a long time now. Do I need to move to the coast to find classes? I really have no idea where to start. My father who is recently retired from the Guard doesn't seem to know many people with experience in the Merchant Marine either. During my time on the icebreaker I was trained in maritime fire fighting and shoring, cpr, etc. I need some brushing up but I went through countless drills and a couple GE's during big storms so I have the experience. Also, how does a general under honorable affect things? Getting this upgraded has crossed my mind a time or two but hasn't been pressing so far.

EastEnder

Cadet

The first thing you will need is that merchant mariner's document (MMD). Reguardless of any rate,rank,license etc, to be signed on to articles aboard any US flagged vessel you need one. Call up your closest Regional Exam Center, and ask for someone who issues the MMDs and tell them your story. See if your sea time will still count.

The other thing you could do if your willing to commit some time to this is join the seafarer's union. I dunno if you are married or not or what kind of family situation you have now, but if are willing to spend a year or so, maybe a little less, they will take you in, give you the classes needed,give you practical "on the job experince" - (three months of that year) and a job afterwards. Its not a bad deal if you can sacrafice the time. You wont pay for the classes at all, and come out with an Ordinary Seaman's ticket, which you can upgrade to an Able Seaman's ticket with a year's sea time.

If you are able to get an MMD with just your CG sea time you could skip the whole union school thing and just sign up as an applicant and get a job....if you get that far i can also give you a couple non-union companies etc, and more info in that case.

Hope this helps some. Keep the questions coming, its a small industry with few people on the outside who can lend much help, so I dont mind giving you a hand.

-Tom

BillP

Captain

Harry Lundburg School of Semanship in Piney Pt, MD trains for merchant marine tickets. In 1968 I attended and received an MMD/Z card from them with these ratings...ordinary seaman (deck), wiper (engine) and stewards dept (galley). These were issued after taking tests administered by the USCG in Baltimore. You will have to join the Seafarer's Union to do this but they have the most and best jobs so it isn't a bad thing. Be advised that merchant ships are typically crewed by a colorful group of individuals...whereas passenger ships are crewed (same USCG ratings apply) by what could be said as normal law abiding citizens.

I'm out of the loop with it now but was able to google this link for you...

http://seafarers.industrialmedium.com/phc/entry.xml

all of you have been extremely helpful in your replies especially you, East Ender, you've gotten me the furthest so far. I submitted a form on the SIU page requesting info regarding entry/veterans programs and received info from a regional exam center regarding my sea time and it looks as if it still counts. I'm trying to take this at a slow pace so I can make wise decisions along the way. When I was recruited into the Coast guard I was cheated out of some guarantees... luckily I still got my top pick out of bootcamp. I keep you updated on my progress.

EastEnder

Cadet

Glad to hear you are making some progress. Take your time with it. Once you get an MMD with a rating, the rest will fall in place. The Coast Guard will only be able to "cheat" you out of a rating on your z card, not so much a job. ie, if you try and negotitate(sp?) a lot with them, see how many different ratings they will give you. That will save you time in the classroom later.

Any more questions, just keep posting them up. Let us know how you do.

So I found out today because I have a DWI on my driving record from four years ago that I need to first obtain an entry-level MMD from a regional exam center before I can enroll in classes at the Paul Hall Center. Can anyone give me any helpful info or advice about this entry-level MMD? How difficult or easy is it to qualify for and what are costs, needed study material, etc? Until today I didn't realize there were levels regarding the MMD so now I find myself in the fog again just when I thought I was starting to make some real progress towards getting in the SIU training program.

EastEnder

Cadet

Sorry for the delayed response. I just got back to work on the ship and havent had time to check the forum.

The DWI thing sucks, sorry to hear about that. The Coast Guard is really strict on that stuff. I've had friends who went through a lot of hoops becuase of that. Just make sure it doesnt happen after you get the MMD...its worse then.

As for the entry level MMD.....It sounds like they are making you start from the bottom, and your sea time isnt really counting for much. Your MMD is proof that you have some basic seamanship/watersurvival/nautical training. On that MMD, it will have different ratings on it as you progress, much like a drivers license for cars and for a commerical [truck] license. What it sounds like is the REC wants you to test out for an Ordinary Seaman [deck dept], Wiper [engine dept], or Food handler/ Steward's Assitant [steward/ cooking dept]...All of these are entry level positions that dont require much skill in their respective field. The test will mainly concentrate on basic work safety, water safety/ survival, and maybe a little techincal knowledge. On the USCG website there should or I imagine there would be a link or study guide for this test. There should be at least. If not, look online for USCG license or study books for the Able Seaman or Ordinary Seaman tests...I've seen them before. I cant remember where, but they are out there. See how that works for ya.

-Tom

BillP

Captain

Try one of the private "get your captain's license" schools. Cost is around $150 and a couple of week ends.

Thanks again, Tom. You've been the best help I've had during this proces so far. Today I downloaded a bunch of forms off the coast guard MMD/STCW site - general info packets and beginning applications, so I got some reading to do for now. I've called the Paul Hall ISU school in Maryland numerous times and a couple RECs around the country including the closest one to me.. which is about a six hour drive to Charleston unfortunately, but I've received a surprisingly scarce amount of information from these sources and none of it has really been helpful. I figured one of them would at least have some kind of counsellor or something. I guess I'm earning this fully, though, and totally DIY. I'll keep you updated on my progress as it happens.

How did you get your start in the MM? Was it this difficult for you?

EastEnder

Cadet

Lol, good question. My story is much like many you will find out here, and thats to say I just kinda fell into it...After high school I wanted to go to a service academy, either Navy, Coast Guard, or Kings Point (US Merchant Marine Academy). Kings Point was my only definate in, so I decieded to go for it. Once I got to see what KP really prepared their students for, and got a taste for the industry, I loved. The hardest part for me was just the school work.....the Academy took care of all of the paperwork with the USCG....

Part of the reason your not having too much luck from Piney Point is because, they just want you to sign up with them and let them do all the work for you. They want/ need membership, and thats the best way to take their classes. Otherwise you have to pay out of pocket. By you trying to do this all on your own, your not really helping them any so they arent as inclinded to help you. Sad to say, but thats the best way to put it.

As for the RECs, yea, some are good some are bad. If you dont get good help at one, call another. The personel widely, varies in talent and knowledge from REC to REC. Some are like your local DMV, some are awesome. Ive heard great things about Boston for instance. Maybe they could tell you what to do, and then just go to Charleston.

Good luck.