Thrust Question...How many pounds should i need/get..?

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice
I just recently bought a ski/fish boat (1995 17' Starcraft 1709) and was thinking about buying a new trolling motor. The one it came with was not working properly, would only go into reverse. I was wondering what you guys would recommend me getting from a outfitters (Cabelas or Sportsman Wharehouse) or even online. Thrust is mainly my concern, don't know what i need. I believe the one i have has/had 42lbs. of thrust. Please advise, Thanks.

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thrust Question...How many pounds should i need/get..?

well there is a couple of things you need to think about, first, you never said if your starcraft was alum or fiberglass (they make both) and what kind of fishing will you be doing with the trolling motor? I ran a 42lbs on my starcraft but it was alum, I trolled mostly with mine, wasnt bass fishing, it worked good, but it all boils down to one thing (money) get what you can afford, if you can afford to go to the 64lber, then by all means get it, you can always use a lower speed if you want, and have enough power in the wind:)

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about that, i didn't know this was a factor. It is Fiberglass and i will be lake or Reservoir fishing, Trout fishing. Mainly 2 maybe 3 adults at the most. By stepping up to a 50lbs. Minn Kota, will this be sufficient (sp)...? Really can't afford anything else right now, the boat purchase drained my savings a bit. Thanks.

FLATHEAD

Captain

A 50 pound will push it around, but is a bit underpowered for that boat. I would go with a 24 volt system 80 pounds thrust. A little pricey but you will never regret it. I switched one of my boats to 24 volt and now I am wondering why I waited so long to do it.

tatern

Recruit

Um... regarding your old trolling motor only going in reverse...try swaping the battery cables. Its your cheapest option and should take care of that problem.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What Tatern said.

I have moved a 17' Boston Whaler around just fine with a 40lb, 12V Minn Kota.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. So im concluding that the 50lbs MK will do alright until i can get something bigger (maybe a 24V)..? I only have a few weeks left of boating/fishing so that might be a spring project for me. Sell my 50lbs. MK and fix and sell the Magnum 42lbs and buy a larger thrust trolling motor.

JB....How much does your 17' Boston Whaler weigh...? Is the weight comparable to my Starcraft 1709 fiberglass one..? Just curious. I really have no clue what mine weighs, maybe you do or somebody else. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i like my wireless motor guide wp45.

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a motor guide 55lb and use it on my Q3 fish &ski, use it to troll for walleye here in Ohio and walleye and striper in Tennessee.I keep an extra battery and switch it out after about 3/12 to 4 hrs.Have been doing this sense boat was new in 2002.

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't go any lower than 40.

Anything lower is a fart in a hurricane.

protozo1

Cadet

I would go with as much thrust as you can afford. It's not really boat size it's where you're going to use it. I had a 20 foot lund which I had a 101 # thrust 36 volt minn kota because I was using it in heavy tidal current for stripers.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

There is a formula I used that I found on Cabelas. I just bought a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 70lb. thrust motor for my '95 Skeeter 200SL Fish n' Ski. It's a 20 ft. boat.

Here is the formula .....

Approximate Dry Weight of boat and engine (you can get an approx. weight for these at this site ..... NADA Boat Values

Then add in your max capacity for cargo and persons. It will be on your capacity plate.

Divide that by 200.

Then multiply that by 5.

The concept is that you need 5 lbs. of thrust for every 200 lbs. of weight.

The formula again is

Actual weight + Capacity weight / 200 X 5 = Pounds of thrust needed.

I wouldn't go with anything less than what you get as a result, because that will only strain your motor and leave you desiring more power.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

There is a formula I used that I found on Cabelas. I just bought a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 70lb. thrust motor for my '95 Skeeter 200SL Fish n' Ski. It's a 20 ft. boat.

Approximate Dry Weight of boat and engine (you can get an approx. weight for these at this site ..... NADA Boat Values

Then add in your max capacity for cargo and persons. It will be on your capacity plate.

Divide that by 200.

Then multiply that by 5.

The formula again is

I wouldn't go with anything less than what you get as a result, because that will only strain your motor and leave you desiring more power.

My boat 1350, plus max capac. is 825 equals 2175. This number, divided by 200 equals 10.875. I then multiply this by 5 to equal 54.375 thrust lbs. I bought a 50lbs. motor so i guess im under powered. This of course if i have a FULL load of the 825. I have fish twice and had 4 adults plus two kids, and it was WAY TO CROWDED. I plan on fishing with MAX 3 people from here on out. This cuts the weight by at least 400 or more. I was using the 42lbs. motor the boat came with (Motorguide 540 model) and it propelled the boat nicely with all six people. Granted the motor was running on the 4th gear setting.

OH BTW, my problem was the BATTERY. I never took time to check it and assumed the motor was gone. I checked it and it had only 8.2 volts. I tried charging it and it did not hold a good charge. I ended up buying a Wallyworld everstart ( I know it's not the favorite battery here on this forum) and the motor performed flawlessly with plenty of power to troll. So i now own 2 trolling motors :confused:. I might just resell the new Minn Kota and the original Motorguide and buy a 55lbs. to be safe, huh..?

What do you guys think...? One other question, What is the MAX thrust on a 12V system, i'm trying to avoid a 24V system, cost and more weight (Extra battery).

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I think the standard is around 55 lbs. for a 12v system.

As for the Everstart battery ... I would never use them for a trolling motor. You have to understand the concept of SLI batteries or 'cranking' batteries versus Deep Cycle batteries. If you use a cranking battery for a deep cycle purpose you will be replacing it twice as fast as if you were to just spend the extra change and get a deep cycle to begin with. :) Cranking batteries aren't made to be discharged and recharged on a regular basis. They will wear down very fast.

As for the 12v trolling motor .... I might be able to help you out! :)

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

I think the standard is around 55 lbs. for a 12v system.

As for the Everstart battery ... I would never use them for a trolling motor. You have to understand the concept of SLI batteries or 'cranking' batteries versus Deep Cycle batteries. If you use a cranking battery for a deep cycle purpose you will be replacing it twice as fast as if you were to just spend the extra change and get a deep cycle to begin with. :) Cranking batteries aren't made to be discharged and recharged on a regular basis. They will wear down very fast.

As for the 12v trolling motor .... I might be able to help you out! :)

I kinda figured this when i saw the label on the original Everstart i pulled out and replaced. Yes, i did buy the Deep Cycle version from walmart. Let me know what/ (which one) you have in mind for the 12V trolling motor..? Thanks for your input....

reelfishin

Captain

Divide that by 200.

Then multiply that by 5.

The formula again is

While the above post is true, a lot depends on where you will be using it. I've run an older Minn Kota 36lb thrust bow mount for years on a 17' fiberglass boat, it's fine for trolling and fishing the banks, but it's not my main source of propulsion. My old Grumman 15' bass boat had an old Mercury Thruster, which I think was only about 18lb thrust or so, it did fine too, but again, it was just for trolling and bass fishing, not cruising.

If your goal is a sole mode of propulsion, then you will need a lot more thrust, but I am also not a fan of huge trolling motors on small boats, while they mov the boat real well, they also draw a lot more current, thus limiting the running time, or requiring that you carry more batteries.
I had a small jon boat and was using an old MK 65, (28lb thrust), motor for years, that motor would let me fish all weekend and then some on a single group 27 battery, when that motor failed, I upgraded to a new 55lb thrust motor, that motor would only run a few hours on a single battery, so I added a second battery in parallel, it barely doubled my run time, partly since I had added another 60 or so lbs of battery to the boat. I gave up on that motor and went out and bought a smaller motor, that motor is only a 22lb thrust MK, which runs all weekend or more as did the old motor. The real kicker is that I don't think I gained or lost any real speed, at least not that you could tell.
The larger 55lb thrust motor did do a lot better in strong current, but would almost kill the battery doing so.

Since then I've learned to go with just enough trolling motor, and not overkill, especially on lighter boats.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 15 foot fiberglass trihull and a MotorGuide 743 w/ 43# of thrust and it worked wonderfully last weekend. Only had it out for a few hours, but I recharged as soon as I got home.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A 12V 55# Motorguide or Minnkota will work just fine and you have only one battery (preferably a large one) to deal with. 24V motors would likely be over your budget. I've run 55 Power Drives on my last three boats (all 17 footers) and have never felt I needed more power. I'm taking delivery of an 18 foot four-corner fishing pontoon and it too will have a 55 PD. If you can afford it, 24V is certainly ok and as mentioned you can set a slower speed but you really don't "need" it.