Outboard Fuel Economy Study

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Here are some fuel economy and performance charts to study. My observations and contributions follow:

PerfCharts.jpg

Many of you on this and other forums have asked about fuel consumption data for your outboard. The typical response is at wide open throttle your engine will burn in the vicinity of 10% of its rated horsepower. 100 HP = 10 g/hr (gallons per hour) or 75 HP = 7.5 g/hr. Hold that thought because in the following paragraphs, tests of my boat, an Alumacraft Navigator 165CS (75 HP Merc carbureted 2-stroke) will include data from my fuel computer, along with charts from Alumacraft (75 HP E-tec) and two charts from Yamaha. One Yamaha was a 70 HP 2-stroke on a PolarCraft Kodiak 165CS and the other a 75 HP Yamaha 4-stroke on a Alumacraft Navigator 165CS. Yamaha did not test the 70 HP 2-stroke on the Navigator so I selected the Kodiak as the closest to it in size, weight, and design. All are aluminum, single console, walleye-style boats. This is about as fair a comparison as one can get using data from three sources ? personal use, a boat manufacturer, and an engine manufacturer.

BOAT #1
Personal Boat - 75HP Mercury 3 cylinder, 2-stroke/Alumacraft Navigator 165CS
The data in the chart was gathered during testing using a Navman 2100 fuel flow monitor and a Garmin GPS12MAP GPS for speed measurement. The engine is fitted with an aluminum, three blade, 13-1/4 x 19 Quicksilver prop. Tests were run with two aboard, a MinnKota 55PD trolling motor, two batteries, approximately 100 pounds of gear and 19 gallons of fuel. Water temp was 76 degrees with a moderate chop and with 5 mph winds. The engine is mounted four holes up. As you might expect, wide open throttle on this combination results in a fuel flow rate of 7.5 g/hr so the 10% rule is alive and well with this engine/boat combination. Testing was difficult due to less than ideal water conditions and traffic.

BOAT #2
Alumacraft Boats - 75HP Yamaha 4-stroke/Navigator 165CS
This chart data was taken from the Yamaha Performance Test web page so these are Yamaha numbers, not something I came up with. A fuel burn rate of 10% of horsepower at wide open throttle holds true for this engine as well. Isn?t it ironic that the ?fuel efficient? 4-strokes still burn the same amount of fuel at wide open throttle as their 2-stroke elders. Midrange economy and a couple of terms that need to be understood which will help separate the chaff from the wheat in this fuel economy debate. You should also note that although the 4-stroke is getting 6.31 MPG at 3500 RPM, my carbed 2-stroke is going about 5 MPH faster at the same RPM.

BOAT #3
Yamaha Outboards ? 70 HP Yamaha 2-stroke/PolarCarft Kodiak 165CS
This chart data was also taken from the Yamaha Performance Test web page. Your eyes should immediately be drawn to the wide open throttle GPH and MPG figures. Although these two boats are obvious not identical, they are close enough that the numbers show some interesting traits. Note first that at wide open throttle the 70 Yamaha, as should be expected, burns slightly less fuel than the 4-stroke 75. This is not startling since it again proves the 10% rule. But note that the engine pushes the boat more than 3 MPH faster that the 4-stroke. That fact leads us to examine the MPG figure and you will see the 70 2-stroke got significantly better fuel economy (5.07 MPG vs 4.60 MPG) ? why? Because the engine was pushing the boat faster, thus traveling farther on the same amount of fuel.

BOAT #4
Alumacraft Boats ? 75 HP Evinrude E-tec 2-stroke/Navigator 165CS
This chart data was taken from the Alumacraft Boats Performance Test web page. These are therefore Alumacraft derived numbers, not Evinrude. Here again you will see the 10% value reinforced. Of interest is that at wide open throttle the E-tec burns very slightly less fuel than the Yamaha 4-stroke. As with the Yamaha 2-stroke, the E-tec at mid range rpm (3000 ? 4000 RPM) is pushing the boat significantly faster than the Yamaha 4-stroke. That translates to the same or better fuel economy than the Yamaha 4-stroke.

FUEL EFFICIENCY vs FUEL ECONOMY:
Here is where some definitions need to be applied. Fuel Efficiency is a measure of fuel consumption at a given RPM. Two engines can be compared side by side on this measure and in looking at the charts you will see the 4-stroke clearly burns less fuel than the 2-stroke at any RPM making it more efficient in those terms.
Fuel economy is a measure of how much fuel it takes to travel a given distance. Once on plane (3000 RPM and up) you will see the MPG figures for the 2-stroke are either very close to the 4-stroke but in many cases it is actually better than the 4-stroke. Wide open throttle on the 4-stroke returns 4.6 MPG and on the 2-stroke it is 5.07 MPG. Why the difference? It?s really quite simple! Look at the speeds (MPH) for the two engines. At any given RPM the 2-stroke is pushing the boat faster than the equivalent 4-stroke. Hence, better economy! Expressed in converse terms, if you ran both engines at 3000 RPM for one hour, the 4-stroke would burn less fuel than the 2-stroke. However the 2-stroke would have carried you farther on the same amount of fuel because at 3000 RPM it is pushing the boat faster.

SUMMARY:
If the 4-strokes aren?t more economical, why should I buy one? Good question but there is merit to viewing efficiency as long as you disregard distance and speed in the consideration. The charts show that speed is the enemy with a 4-stroke. At any given rpm a 2-stroke is simply pushing the boat faster hence the MPG are better even though the engine may be consuming more fuel per hour.
If you are a walleye fisherperson for example, you may want to back-troll for hours at a time. The E-tec at 1000 rpm burns 0.37 g/hr, the Yamaha 2-stroke burns 0.9 g/hr (yikes), and the Yamaha 4-stroke burns 0.4 g/hr. In this example you ignore how far you traveled so MPG is not an issue. Lets then assume you want to cruise for two hours at a relatively constant speed of 22 MPH which translates to 4000 RPM on the Yamaha 4-stroke. At that speed you would burn 3.8 g/hr. On the Yamaha 2-stroke you would only need to run the engine about 3500 RPM to run 22 MPH and you would be burning very nearly the same amount of fuel -- because the engine is running slower to provide 22 MPH. On the E-tec, you would burn significantly less than the 4-stroke because the engine would be running about 3400 rpm and burning about 3.6 g/hr. In comparison, my 75 Merc 2-stroke would burn 4.4 g/hr. At wide open throttle all of this is moot because they all burn the same amount of fuel.
When engaged in 4-stroke, 2-stroke and direct fuel injection 2-stroke (Optimax/E-tec) discussions make sure what you are saying and hearing is actually what you mean to say or what you want to hear. There is no disputing the fact that at any given RPM a 4-stroke will generally burn less fuel than a carbureted 2-stroke. But equate that rpm to boat speed and you now have a totally different set of parameters. 4-stroke engines make power on every other revolution so they should in theory, burn ? the amount of fuel a 2-stroke. However a 2-stroke makes power on every revolution so they generally have better hole shot, top end, and provide faster boat speeds at the same rpm as a 4-stroke. How can that be? 4-strokes tend to need lower gear ratios in the lower unit to get out of the hole. They also run slightly less pitch on the props. That translates directly to less speed.
After preparing this study I am more convinced than ever that I will run a my carbed 2-stroke until it dies or is outlawed, at which time I will be faced with the same decision most new boat owners face ? 2-stroke or 4-stroke! But I think you know which way I lean.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard Fuel Economy Study

Looks good to me, Silvertip, but we didn't follow protocol. It needs to be open to comment and criticism and we need to get your permission before making it a FAQ.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Have at it. No problem on my end.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

At any given RPM the 2-stroke is pushing the boat faster than the equivalent 4-stroke. Hence, better economy!

I don't follow you here. If you compare them at speed you come up with the following:

Boat 1 - 2.2mph = 3.14 mpg
Boat 2 - 3.4 mph = 8.50 mpg

Boat 1 - 10 mph = 2.7 mpg
Boat 2 - 11.1 mph = 4.44 mpg

Boat 1 - 20 mph = 4.54 mpg
Boat 2 - 22 mph = 5.79 mpg

Boat 1 - 30 mph = 4.91 mpg
Boat 2 - 29.5 mph = 5.09 mpg

Excluding the "idling" numbers, in the 3 examples above, Boat #1 averages 4.05 mpg when running between 10-30 miles per hour and Boat #2 averages 5.10 mpg running the same speeds.

Boat #2 on average is 25% more efficient than boat #1 when run at speeds between 10-30 miles per hour

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You are missing the point and looking at MPH. Look at RPM (take 3000 RPM on boat 1 and 2). You will see that on boat 1, 3000 RPM (3200 actually) yields 20 MPH. On boat 2, 3000 RPM yields only 11.1 MPH. Yes, looking at gallons per hour the four stroke is burning less fuel, but at 3000 RPM it takes nearly twice as long to go the same distance as boat 1. In this example, the two stroke (Boat 1) is getting better MPG (by .1 MPG) than Boat 2.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Nice job Silver. You have been toying with this subject for quite awhile. Looks like you put something out here we can believe.

I agree with you on saying what you mean and meaning what you say when talking about speed, consumption and efficiency. Also, as you said, you need to pay attention to what is important to you in your situation, GPH or MPG.

Mark

45Auto

Commander

Hi Silvertip,

Maybe I don't understand your point. If we use the 20 MPH in your example, boat 1 at 20 MPH (3200 RPM) is burning 4.4 GPH which gives 4.54 MPG. Boat 2 at 20 MPH (actually 22 MPH) would only be burning 3.8 GPH, so it is getting 5.79 MPG. Looks like to me boat 2 would be going faster AND getting better MPG. Why would you put them at different speeds to compare MILES PER GALLON? SPEED has a huge effect on the MPG.

Lets use your example the other way. At 10 mph the 2-stroke burns 3.7 GPH. At 20 MPH (actually 22) the 4-stroke burns 3.8 gallons per hour. So it would take 7.4 gallons for the 2-stroke to go the same distance that the 4-stroke goes in 3.8 gallons. The 2-stroke gets 2.7 MPG, the 4-stroke gets 5.6 MPG. So in your example where the 4-stroke was worse by .1 MPG, the 2-stroke is worse by almost 3 MPG!

If you pick some arbitrary RPM to compare them you can make the data say whatever you want. If you look at the 2-stroke at the same speed you put the 4-stroke at, (10 MPH) then it is again worse than the 4-stroke. I don't think anybody would argue that different engines have different powerbands and need to be geared and/or propped appropriately. However, if I want to be somewhere 20 miles away in an hour, I'm going to go 20 MPH. If I want to take twice as long, I'll go 10 MPH. In each of these cases the 4-stroke is more efficient.

If you compare efficiency apples to apples then Dingbat has it right. The 4-stroke wins across the board. If you want to compare efficiency at a particular RPM, you can make the 2-stroke look better. Efficiency is MILES PER GALLON. A big factor in how many MILES you can go in an hour is the SPEED. To get the best comparison you need to eliminate all the variables possible, which means comparing the motors at the same speed to eliminate that variable.

Last edited:

tommays

Admiral

Nice work

Boat number 1 has probably had a much more careful setup ;) and testing

In my area due to the general windy conditions boat 2 with 6.3 MPG at at 18 MPH would be the better pick

Tommays

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You are missing the point and looking at MPH. Look at RPM (take 3000 RPM on boat 1 and 2). You will see that on boat 1, 3000 RPM (3200 actually) yields 20 MPH. On boat 2, 3000 RPM yields only 11.1 MPH. Yes, looking at gallons per hour the four stroke is burning less fuel, but at 3000 RPM it takes nearly twice as long to go the same distance as boat 1. In this example, the two stroke (Boat 1) is getting better MPG (by .1 MPG) than Boat 2.

Using your data, if I wanted to travel 100 miles at planning speed (in my case 25 miles per hour) boat #1 would get me there in 4 hours (25 mph) and use (5.6 x 4) 22.4 gallon of fuel. Boat #2 would get me there in 3.8 hours (26 mph) and use (4.7 x 3.8) 21.6 gallons of fuel. So, not only would I have gotten there 12 minutes earlier, but I also would have used 1 less gallon of gas in the process.

Granted boat #1 would have running 3800 rpm compared to boat #2 which would have been running at 4500 rpm, but what the point? Neither are even close to their WOT

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Still missing the point -- Boat 1 is a "carbed" 2-stroke, and boat 2 is a FI 4-stroke. But since MPH seems important to you let's take 30 MPH as an example. Boat 1 is running at 4200 RPM, burning 6.1 GPH and yielding 4.91 MPG. Boat 2 is running 29.5 MPH, turning 5000 RPM burning 5.8 GPH and yielding 5.09 MPG. In this example the FI 4-stroke is burning only .3 GPH less than the carbed 2-stroke and is getting only .18 MPG better economy. The point of all this is not implying the two strokes (carbed or DI) are "always" better than the 4-stroke in every operating condition. How many hours would it take to make up the difference in engine cost (ignoring the maintenance costs). At displacement speed there is no debating the difference in economy. But the minute you get to planing speed (15 -20 MPH and up) those numbers come closer together quickly. As for boat 1 being set up better, I would think both Alumacraft and Yamaha would have wanted to make their test as optimal as possible and if any of the tests were less than optimal it would have been boat 1 as I suspect it was loaded heavier and operated under more severe conditions than the others. Lastly MPG is NOT a measure of efficiency. GPH is a measure of efficiency. MPG is an average of fuel consumption over distance and has nothing to do with time. 10 gallons of fuel over 50 miles = 5 MPG. No time involved. So lets look at that. Boat 2 gets its best on-plane fuel economy of 6.91 MPG at 18.3 MPH. Hold that thought. Boat 1 gets its best economy of 4.91 MPG at 30 MPH. Now go on a 36 mile trip with both units. Would not the 4-stroke take 4.34 gallons of fuel (30/6.91=4.34 gallons)? On boat 1 running at its best economy of 4.91 GPH the same trip would take 4.91 gallons and the trip takes an hour, not an hour and 40 minutes. You will undoubtedly say yes -- but again you not comparing things on speed. My response is "but why would want to run your engine at anything less than its sweet spot". I point out all the time that if you leave time out of the equation then yes, the 4-stroke will burn less fuel IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME. But it takes you longer to get where you are going so that's the rub.

gss036

Commander

Once you start runing the engines in the top 75% of the power range/RPM, laws of science will show and tell you it will take "X" amount of fuel to produce this power, no matter how it is put into the combustion chamber of the engine. Find your "sweet spot" and that is where you should be running the engine for best fuel consumption figures and efficency.
Just my thoughts.

45Auto

Commander

I think GSS036 has it figured out!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I agree, the faster the speed the closer they get in consumption. I've never argued that point but you’re looking at a very narrow set of circumstances.

For instance, I typically run 60-70 miles in a day of fishing. Of those miles roughly 50 of them at cruising speed which is roughly 27 knot (31 mph) at 4200 rpm. The remaining time is spent on the troll at roughly 7-8 miles per hour.

At the end of the day I would have burned:

Boat #1 (1.6 x 6.1) + (8 x 3.0)
9.76 + 24 = 33.96 gallons
Boat #2 (1.6 x 5.8) + (8 x 1.7)
9.28 + 13.6 = 22.88 gallons

I would have dropped my consumption by 48%. It's these kinds of number that justify switiching from a carbed motor to a DFI or 4 stroke.

G

GPH and MPG aside generally the 4 stroke is running higher rpm to make the same speed.So you have a motor with about 4 times the moving parts running about 20% more piston feet per mile.My figures may be off a little but
But it seems to me a little like running a car in 4th gear instead of overdrive.
More wear per mile.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Dingbat -- What you say is true and I don't, nor have I disputed that. But again, you compare two engines but you are not comparing them at their sweet spot. There are only two reasons one would take a trip of any duration and elect to run at an arbitrariily selected speed: 1) water conditions, and 2) the selected speed turns you on or happens to be a limit of sorts for that particular hull. That's why a tach or a fuel flow monitor is more valuable on a boat than a speedometer. I stand by the data. And just so everyone reading these posts understands, isn't it rather interesting you are dwelling on comparisons of the oldest technology in the group. But that's exactly why I added it so people can draw their own conclusions and see that while technology certainly helps in certain conditions, it is not all it's cracked up to be.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The fact that new technology is not what's it's cracked up to be really amazed me. Till you put the numbers to it you just don't know. I didn't. Course I didn't look at it from a technical viewpoint. I just had these gut feels about this boat is more fuel efficient that that one but I didn't pay attention to how I ran one vs the other.

Thanks again,

Mark

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

This is a fascinating subject but so many variables. Start with I fish aprox. 400 hrs. a year of 100% ocean usage. Lets say I troll for salmon (3 MPH -) for 100 hrs. and albacore (7 MPH+) 50 hrs.. There are not a whole lot of days you can run much over 25 MPH to and from fishing grounds which average about 10 mi. away. I mostly fish alone but occasionally I go with a friend and rarely with two. I like aluminum boats but they just don’t have the solid feel of a fiberglass hull. I’m guessing f/g hulls weigh at least 200 lbs more than aluminum in the 18 ft, range in a mostly open style. I cant see buying a 120 hp engine if I can get by with a 60 hp. plus kicker. I figure I have about ten years of fishing ahead of me. Not being independently wealthy and knowing well which way fuel prices are going, I only have one chance to figure best hull, engine, prop, fuel capacity, etc. to bury me in.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

The numbers for fuel useage do suggest that new and old technology run about the same. However, is it possible that the new technology was developed more for pollution control, then better fuel useage.

My 94 Mariner used 3 gals of oil in 64 hours last year. My 06 Etec, same horsepower same boat, has used 1 gal for 60 hours.

I don't believe anybody can say their 30+ or even 10+ year old motor produces less pollution then a new 2 or 4 stroke.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I was off surfing elsewhere and this occurred to me. If you are contemplating the purchase of a rig, this information is very useful to you if you have to have good fuel economy. Obviously it says buy the largest engine your boat can safely use.

Other thing is that engines of a series weigh about the same so once in the series, go to top hp in that class....like a 135 Merc weighs in at 408# and a 225 of the same series weighs just 440#.. You roughly double your hp for roughly a 10% increase in weight. Then you take that 225 and throttle it back to where it's putting out 150 hp and enjoy your savings................yeah I know, you have to overcome the cost of ownership difference before you can start saving.

But what the heck....something to jaw about on here.

Mark

BF

Lieutenant

well... since you asking for feedback and this is potentially an FAQ... I found it an interesting read, and having the data tables is interesting.... but as others above have already said, it would've seemed more comparable to have a table of identical boat speeds and compare economy at those speeds. I agree that we all tend to run our boats in the "sweet spot", but I also think the "sweet spot" of the boat for the weather/load conditions is as, if not more important than the "sweet spot" of the engine powerband. I don't have a fuel flow meter in any of my boats, so it doesn't dictate the cruise speed.

I don't have a stake in this issue one way or the other (2 vs 4; old vs new), but when I read it, it seems you have a stake in the 2 stroke camp... arrived at by emphasizing rpm rather than boat performance. If we're comparing cars, we don't compare economy at 2000 rpm across the competitors... We compare fuel consumption at a standard performance (of the car) - highway (cruise) and city (mixed mode) driving... whatever rpm's the engines/tranny's make depends on how the engineers decided to set things up.

No doubt there are positive and negative things about all technologies. For 4 strokes, one may not like more moving parts or higher rpm's, but they if they get the job done (move a given boat at idle or cruise) using less fuel than another engine doing the same task (= moving the same boat at the same speed), then they are more efficient.

Also has been said above, I'm not surprised that all engines burn about the same at WOT.... after all they are all about the same HP.... that HP comes from burning fuel. So yes, I expect the differences in economy to be greater in varied use than if one picked a spot on the upper end of the powerband (fast cruise to WOT).

Certainly there must be several members here who have repowered their existing boats to 4 stroke or E-tech who have good records and can compare their fuel consumption?? It might be interesting to compare the same boat used in a similar manner, in real world (mixed) conditions to see how much economy difference there turned out to be.

Anyway, that's my $.02, interesting stuff.