Force 50 exhaust snout/anode

I just got a 85 force 50 507F5A. It doesnt have an exhaust snout, do i need it? also, is the exhaust snout the anode? if not, where is the anode located?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50 exhaust snout/anode

Yes you will need the exhaust snout to direct the exhaust away from the prop.
If all the exhaust goes onto the prop, you will just put a lot of bubbles into the water and barely move.

Mercury part number 817795A1, $20

Not sure if it also acts as an anode.

roscoe, thanks for the reply

Has anyone ran their boat in the water without the exhaust snout (mine points straight at the prop)? Just for testing at least for when i get the engine running, i dont want to take the drive and just stay at the dock. how fast is barely move?

can someone give me some info on the anode? i have some damage on the motor leg (like someone carved a hole on the side), seems to be because of the lack of anode.

MikDee

Banned

The anode on the Force motors is a large thick (approx. 3") washer bolted onto the lower gear housing by 2 bolts, just in front of the prop, and the prop washer. Do not remove the snout, as it exhausts past the prop, and if you take it off, the exhaust will interfere with the water flow of the prop causing, cavitation or venting.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Without the snout, maximum speed will be 2-4 mph.

MikDee

Banned

Without the snout, maximum speed will be 2-4 mph.

Not really, my son's boat came without a snout, and it works ok, he's used it a dozen times already, but you can't use power trim when you run it, it will blow out, & cavitate, in the turns, and come off plane. He's in North Carolina, and a newbie so doesn't use power trim anyway while running, but I told him he has to get a spout, so I can't recommend running without it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It must depend on the motor, or prop.
The one time I ran without the snout, with an 85hp, the prop ventilated at anything over 1200 rpm.

can anyone direct me to a picture of the anode for my engine? i dont know what i need to look for.