What have I got myself into??!!

themagicone

Cadet
Well newbie here, just found the page and thought may be someone could give me some info. Anyway - I just picked up a FREE 17' 70's larson! Has a 283 sb in it, trailer, etc. Needs some work but haul is in great shape, just some stripping and re gel coating. So the 1st question - it's a 61796 model, I can't find no record of that on the larson site. I was told it was a 73 but not for sure. 2nd, the 283, good motor for a boat or? Should I swap for a 350 sb? 3rd, on the note of re gel coating it, is that an expensive thing? 4th and last question, without seeing it (camera is broke) getting a boat like this for free, do you think I got luckly and a good deal? Thanks in advance for your answers!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What have I got myself into??!!

Free things are not always good deals. If they were good to start with why would someone give it away? On your model number - doesn't sound quite right to me - too many number's. Look on the back ( transom ) of your boat. On the right ( starboard ) side just below the rubrail will be a series of numbers. The last two digits will the the year of the vessel. If there are no number's there then it is a pre 1972 boat. Here is one site you might find useful:http://fiberglassics.com/default.htm
The existing 283 is a really good older engine - if it is original. Close to bulletproof actually.
To reapply gel coat is really not in your best interest - lot's o' bucks there. Try this site first:http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/01.htm
You will more than likely find the transom, stringer's and decking rotten or just about to be that way. Now you're talking a lot of time for repair, some serious money and some cuss words - not in that order. Poke, prod, look around for stuff. You're gonna' be surprised what you find. But having absolutely no idea about the boat, or its state of condition all of this may have no meaning what-so-ever.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is no such thing as a "free" boat. In your post you are already talking about spending money!! So much for free - eh? I'm funnin' ya! That little 283 powered lots of boats and when tuned properly will power yours just fine, assuming of course its not worn out. Dropping in a 350 presents a whole bunch of potential issues -- the main being will the outdrive handle the extra power. The gear ratio may be wrong, and of course you would need a prop with more pitch. If you don't change the prop, 5000 RPM on either engine gets you the same speed and you will suck more fuel. Whether or not you got a good deal depends on what you need to spend to make it safe to operate. Engine and outdrive repairs don't come cheap. Nor do interiors if that's shot. Then there are stringers and a transom that may be rotten and need to be replaced. If you can't do those repairs yourself -- you didn't get a deal.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

99% of the time, the initial boat cost is inversely proportional to the expense of making it seaworthy. But, you got a free boat, it's a start.
Welcome to iBoats.

themagicone

Cadet

Well, got it cleaned out - had a bunch of junk in it. Seats are good condition but need to be redone. Personally I can rebuild the wood portion and have someone to put new fabric on. As for rot - there is one portion of the main floor that has a hole in it but other than that I can't find any. Transom seems solid, tapping other sections gives off a good solid sound. Motor is shot, BUT found a completely rebuilt working 283 for $400. I figure even if it does cost me $3000-4000 to fix it up, it is still cheaper than a new one of the same type! Lastly, it's a 1971 acording to some paperwork I found.

themagicone

Cadet

Ok... engine serial number is 2728880. From searching, that is a 325 chevy sb NOT a 283. Am i right?

redfury

Commander

The longer you own it, the more stuff you'll find wrong with it. But if you are into projects, a boat is a great one to get into....you don't have to worry about having to drive it to work, so you can take your time! :D

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Must mean a 327 Chevy. Great motors, best small block Chevy ever built IMHO (for cars at least). Worth rebuilding if rebuildable.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I hope you are aware that a bunch of things need to be done to convert an automobile engine for marine use. You can't safely drop any auto engine into a boat even if it would bolt right up. Put a post in the I/O section or search there for detail.

themagicone

Cadet

Well I worked on it a bunch today. Cleaned it up, the paint/gloss is pretty good, just needed some good scrubing. Only spot that seems something is wrong is in the front and there is a straight vertical line that runs up the side where the white high gloss coating just stops and on the otherside is showing yellow and isn't glossy.
Now i pluged in a battery today. Lights work, tilt/trim work (to an extent, haven't figured out how it works yet, have to hit one button it goes down, hold down 2 other buttons it goes up), gas vent fans work, AND motor turns!!! Only thing shot is the bilge pump but thats an easy fix.
Now the motor needs 2 exhaust headers, intake, carb and distro. For being free i'm not complaning.