Mercruiser tilt problem

kuhunaa

Cadet
Hi everyone. Until now all of my boats were outboards. My engine is a 4.3 liter, 1988 mercruiser. The problem is I tilted the lowerunit down but it wont go back up. it doesn't make a sound. It will still down fine but not back up. Any ideas?
Thanks

brisboats

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser tilt problem

Try jumping the solenoid, the one on the tilt pump bracket with a blue wire.

Brian

Chromaflage

Recruit

I had the same problem with my OMC cobra. Check the following:

1. Fuses
2. Wire harness connection - check for solid connection and corrosion
3. Relay/solenoid (this was my problem)
4. Tilt/Trim switch

If you still are unable to locate the problem, use a multi-meter to check continuity across the solenoid while someone operates the switch to verify voltage down the wire.

Good luck.

CrF

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check the limit switch on the side of the outdrive, most common problem is there with broken wires. Outdrive will tilt down but wont trim back up. If wires are broken replace the limit switch. Most of the time repairs in that area do not hold. limit switch looks like a small hockey puck. There will be one on each side. Port side is the one you want. Startboard side is the trim sender for the guage on the dash.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, you have had a bunch of "Try This" and "Mine was this" replies, but it still doesn't tell you how to check out your system.

Here is a link that includes troubleshooting the trim system. Just follow the instructions and you will find YOUR problem

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C1R3.PDF

SwashBuckle

Recruit

Well, you have had a bunch of "Try This" and "Mine was this" replies, but it still doesn't tell you how to check out your system.

Here is a link that includes troubleshooting the trim system. Just follow the instructions and you will find YOUR problem

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C1R3.PDF

Don...how do you navigate the "Boatfix" website to access those very helpful pdf's.

Thanks in advance.

Swash..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Click on the link and wait for it to open. It's about 3/4 of a MB, so depending on your connection, it could take a while.
You also have to have Acrobat reader installed.
I also notice that people with Adobe Acrobat Pro have some problems opening them. Check your settings.

SwashBuckle

Recruit

Click on the link and wait for it to open. It's about 3/4 of a MB, so depending on your connection, it could take a while.
You also have to have Acrobat reader installed.
I also notice that people with Adobe Acrobat Pro have some problems opening them. Check your settings.

Thanks for the reply.

I can open the link you provided.....but if I access the website directly (not using your link) I cannot navigate/find the pdf(s). Is there some sort of registration required?

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi everyone. Until now all of my boats were outboards. My engine is a 4.3 liter, 1988 mercruiser. The problem is I tilted the lowerunit down but it wont go back up. it doesn't make a sound. It will still down fine but not back up. Any ideas?
Thanks

Make sure it is not in gear. I messed with mine for about 45 minutes before I realized it was in gear. Same symptoms as you would go down but did nothing when trying to raise it.

Jason

rpmhocky

Recruit

Hi Folks
Don't have a reply only a question.I purchaced a 1977 dixie with a175 merc cruiser.The problem I have is the tilt won't go down.If I hold the button and have someone push on it it goes dowm.Also if I leave it 3/4 down and accelerate in forward in the water it goes down.The person I bought it from said there wa a leak that he never fixed because he could use it the way i described.I filled the pump,don't see ant leaks but it still doesn't work.Any ideas

Thanks Ray Mello