Steering Torque

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
I have a '95 Skeeter 200SL Fish n' Ski with a '94 200hp Vindicator. I have noticed lately that my boat wants to pull to the right at high speeds. At times I almost have to hold the wheel with all my might to keep it straightened out, because it wants to pull. If I let go of the wheel even the slightest bit the boat veers off to the right. Is this a trim tab adjustment issue?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering Torque

boat pulls right, move back of trim tab to the right. with the 200, you should atleast have the teleflex, no feedback system, or the upgrade to hydrolic.

studlymandingo

Commander

I installed hydraulic steering on my 150 HP a while back. Made a different boat out of my rig. You can let go of the wheel at any speed and she tracks straight.

I can't speak for the NFB cable system, but the hydraulic system on my boat virtually eliminates the torque-steer. I can steer the boat with one finger.​

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

What are some good brands to choose from? Could I install it myself in a day or so?

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think for most boats not exceeding 60mph seastar k-6 is best but for higher speeds the seastar pro with kevlar hoses.

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Insallation is straight forward,routing hoses and bleeding air out of system in most time consuming.I'd allow a afternoon to complete.