Help!!!

bscleo

Cadet
hey,
so i just got a new (to me) boat and trailer yesterday, took it out today all was well. Now I am trying to get the trailer off my hitch and it is STUCK! I pulled the little lever all the way upbut it will not budge. it appears the crescent piece of metal is still wrapped around the hitch but it is on an incline. I can put it on level ground if i have to i just want to get it off right now. please send any tips you can. Thanks!

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help!!!

Lots of WD40 and a big hammer. You might want to post a pic. There are several different hitch types. A good flash light and inspection from under side might show you where to pry with a screw driver. You can always undo the hitch ball.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Take a deep breath and relax. If it won't come off, and the coupler is open, put a jack under it and lift it off. Piece of cake!

PS. Putting it on level ground is a good idea, too.
PSS. Chock the wheels

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if on and incline block the trailer wheels, then let the vehicle move forward or back just a little to release the hitch. then grease it. thats why i have the tongue jack on my trailer. i jack up the trailer, along with the back of the tow vehicle, then jump on the bumper, it comes loose.

bscleo

Cadet

thanks for all the advice - i took it - and ended up putting it on a flat surface, jacked up the trailer, and jumped on it, and then banged the "cover" attached to the tab (sorry for my lame trailer lingo) and it dropped right off!! thank all of you for your timely expertise!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

if on and incline block the trailer wheels, then let the vehicle move forward or back just a little to release the hitch. then grease it. thats why i have the tongue jack on my trailer. i jack up the trailer, along with the back of the tow vehicle, then jump on the bumper, it comes loose.
I have broken a tongue jack doing that. And, then getting the trailer off was even harder. We ended up pulling the draw bar pin, and keeping them together.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a simpler way to uncouple a stuck coupler. Loosen the adjusting nut!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Very true Silvertip. i think the coupler is one of the most neglected item on any trailer.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

You guys must have some very interesting wrenches if you can adjust a coupler nut while the coupler is attached...

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

This is the best way to do it IMHO. Chock the wheels. Put the tow vehicle in forward and let it idle forward for a sec. Then raise the trailer up and stand on the bumper of the tow vehicle. Usually it'll come right off.

rheyboer

Seaman

I've had problems with this. Yes, move the tow vehick an inch or two and that should unload the stress. Then loosen the nut under the clamp a little. Un-coupling (nothing kinky) used to be a constant fight for me. I have a very low hitch (car) and where I have to park the boat the coupler is in the low spot of my alley so my hitch is almost on the ground (both front of car and stern of boat noticable higher that hitch/coupler area. I didn't have the clearance to use the trailer jack! Between that and the too-tight latch I was frustrated beyond belief. Loosening the latch and carring a floor jack have made the end of a day on the water considerably better.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with this one. Tongue jack is priceless.