Non-Oxygenated Fuels

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer
I just had my Force 85 hp L-drive powerhead rebuilt. My brother-in-law mentioned non-oxygenated fuels. Something about the Shell V-power 93 octane.

I've been using this fuel for quite awhile in my car/truck. Has anyone ever heard of using this type of fuel in the boats? Something about having no ethanol in it supposedly makes it burn hotter???? Are there any other fuels out there that do this?

I guess what I'm wondering: Is this gas deal a big issue or not? Can I just go buy gas at the local Cenex/Mobil/Sinclair, etc? Does anyone else use premium instead of regular gas? This is a two-stroke.... does that make a difference on the kinds of fuel?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Non-Oxygenated Fuels

Here in Minnesota it is becoming harder and harder to find non oxygenated fuel. The BP station near my work sells it in 91 octane. If you can get it in 87-89 octane that would be best. You will not see any positive results from running High octane fuel and might actually get the reverse. My understanding is that it does not burn as well in 2 strokes and it more prone to carbon deposits. I have a 40 year old chrysler and have run 87 ethonal in it for the last 7 years and the only problem I have had was having to rebuild the carb and fuel pump because the rubber parts get hard from the alcohol.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Octane rating is just a measure of knock resistance compared to pure liquid octane. Since higher compression tends to make gasoline ignite before the spark ignites it, they "knock" on low octane rated fuel. Your 2 cycle is a low compression engine running around 9 to 1 and will not knock on 87 test fuel. Using high octane fuel has no benefit in these engines and you are wasting your money.

Now: as for oxygenating agents: They are phasing out MBTE and phasing in ethanol. In an auto this gives no problems. However, in the presence of water (boats anyone?) mixing the two types can cause a gel to form. This gel will clog fuel filters and carbs. I recently cleaned out a merc. The gel had filled his carb bowls and was holding the floats down so he was stalling rich and just pumping gas out the carb vents.

The cure for this is for the near future try to use only one brand of gas--doesn't matter which sinc each brand will use only one type oxygenator.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

So, it sounds like it's nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks!