Black Book Equavalent For Used Boat Values

esoxlee

Cadet
Back in 2001 I invested in a fishing boat. I figured that living on a waterfront property year round, it was a logical decision. However, it's been over 6 years since I got it and the outboard motor for it probably has less than 25 hours total usage. In fact, last summer I used the boat only once and I have yet to take it out this summer. Since I hardly ever use it, I am thinking about selling it. Is there anything like a black book equivalent that people use to evaluate cars to see how much my boat is worth?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Black Book Equavalent For Used Boat Values

You can look at NADA.com just to get an idea.
The condition is really what dictates the price.
a 10 year old very well kept boat can sell for more than the same type of boat thats only a year or so old but was abused..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

totally agree with Gary.. condition, area, maintainance records, all enter into the equation.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't really go by NADA too much. I would look at market pricing in your area of similar boats, and base it on that. Better to put it a tad to high, and put Or best offer, than to put it too low, and have someone turn around and sell it and make a profit. (that has happened to us once. We got a boat motor, and trailer for 500. The motor is probably 300+ and the trailer is probably 500 - 600, and the boat we might could squeeze 500 out. We didn't have a clue what the pricing was, and sold the trailer for 325. The buyer turned around and sold it for 550. Dang. But we still came out like a bandit, as we bought it for nothing literally.)

Now, we flip boats from time to time (got two Grumman canoes we picked up for 100 each. 1 is gone for 350 tomorrow, and the other will probably be gone within a week for a tad less[a bit beat up])